Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 02-18-2007, 01:59 AM   #16
ZfrkS62
Regular User

The Yoda has been on the road now for a full year now, been to 2 SCCA Autocross events as a contender, buzzed around Houston at some speeds that would cause a cop to shake your hand for bravery and walk away amazed, along with causing a Porsche and S2000 driver to raise their eyebrows

I've put about 15,000 miles or so on it since selling the van and haven't had any major issues, which being a Toyota, isn't all that surprising. I have yet to do the timing belt and the engine is going through oil at a rate that is going to be requiring some attention sooner than later, i just have to get around to it. I may just find another engine, reseal that and swap the engines out so i can take my time on mine. But sometime in the next 4 days, i need to pull my fuel tank again as something has come loose and keeps finding it's way to the fuel pump inlet...not funny at 75mph while being tailgated

I really didn't plan on loving this car. I figured it would just be a little commuter econo box that got me from point to point in a non descript, easy to obey speed limit type of way. I mean, it's a 1.6L 4 banger. How much fun could it possibly be? Well, with a 5 speed manual, it's a lot of fun. 1st through 3rd gear (up to 90 mph) with WOT gives a surprisingly satisfying sensation, but once you go into 4th (1:1 ratio) pulling power is null and void. Handling is surprisingly sporty, but that could be because the car has no power steering. It very rarely struggles to put the power to the road and it's not difficult at all to heel-toe. The engine is definitely happiest at 75 mph and still averages 33 mpg.. Not bad for a 16 year old car

I think i will be hanging on to it and once i buy a new car (and i mean a NEW car) i'll be stripping this one down and making it a track rat

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:21 AM   #17
Minacious
Regular User

Damnit Z!! I saw the word Yoda and got all excited. Then I realized it was you and about your "Yota".
Old 02-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #18
Pehtren
Regular User

Speaking of a track rat, the engine would stay the same or you will supercharge it ?
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
TopGearNL
Regular User

Bargain of the century!

Hope you can do with it what you want!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #20
sameerrao
Regular User

Good to see the Yoda chugging along nicely. 8)

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 AM   #21
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Good to see the Yoda chugging along nicely. 8)
it's def paid for itself. dropping the gas tank tomorrow...not going to be amused

Old 02-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
ARMAN
Regular User

glad you like it and its working well for you, old cars have a soul of its own not that new cars dont but its a different experince

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #23
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i'm going and getting another gas tank tomorrow. I'm tired of shit getting moves through the system. Pulled and drained the tank today and changed the fuel filter which was plugged and flushed the line. hopefully the problem is done

Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 AM   #24
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Damn thats a nice ride for 200 bucks! Hell if it lasts for a year or 2 it would be a steal.
Any plans on painting it? A friend of mine painted he old beat up daily driver terecel grey or gray however you say it. Spray painted it for like 70 something bucks and a clear coat only on the hood.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #25
Zot09
Regular User

Good car for a great price! Nice ride!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #26
ZfrkS62
Regular User

well, it appears i wrote my little 1 year later review a bit too early. As the updated title suggests, my head gasket went on vacation. permanently. Came off the freeway and as i rolled up to the stop sign last night, the engine started sputtering and stumbling. Once i saw steam coming out from under the hood, i knew i was fucked.

i had been losing coolant the last few weeks but i wasn't sure where. i figured the water was just evaporating on it's way into the coolant overflow tank, but it was happening way too often. I had a sneaking suspicion it was sneaking into a cylinder since my oil level was dropping too and there wasn't any chocolate milk in the radiator.

As i popped the hood, i saw the overflow tank cap had popped off and was spilling coolant everywhere, the hoses and radiator cap were warm but too cool to be at operating temp, so i slowly cracked the cap. the remaining pressure released and to my dismay, the radiator was empty. I put the cap back on and limped the car home. At this point i was 99.9% sure my head gasket was gone. As it idled in my driveway, (if that's what you want to call it) i noticed the steam starting to pour out my tail pipe. now i was 99.95% sure, but once i smelled the sickeningly sweet smell of ethalyne glycol (antifreeze/coolant) that .05% doubt i had, disappeared.

I ordered a used engine today from a local toyota recycler for $350. and timing belt, tensioner, valve cover gasket and clutch from a local aftermarket warehouse for another $140. The engine is being delivered thursday and friday i'm doing the swap.

Now i can hear at least one of you asking why i don't just replace the head gasket.

Because i'm thorough about this shit I plan on replacing the head gasket on the original motor, but when i pull the head, i'm sending it out to the machine shop to have the valve guides and seals replaced, providing the head isn't toast. From there, i reseal the bottom end, put it all back together, and put it back in the car. What i do with my spare motor, i dunno yet. At the very least i seal that one up too, and sell it for the $500 it cost me. Mods? i dunno. that could get pricey and i'm not in the position right now to blow wads of cash on making a 12,000 RPM motor. Or an insane Forced Induction motor. The last thing i need to do is become another ricer :roll: But on the other hand....who would see a Corolla coming?

Besides, given the success of the Toyota race teams....i think hi performance may not be the way to go

Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #27
nthfinity
Regular User

man, at least your not getting raped on the rebuilt motor... prolly due to the fact you know WTF you are doing

Sorry its for shit suddenly... old cars suck mang
Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #28
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Yeah forget the regular swap go a head and re-make the AE86 and bring back the RWD corollas!

Sucks, but at least you're a mechanic and can do all the work yourself
Old 04-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #29
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Yeah, I can't wait until I have the time and money to teach my self how to restore cars.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:38 AM   #30
ZfrkS62
Regular User

well, i found out today that there's nothing fun for the 4A-Fe no high revving motor for me