Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 02-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
stradale
Regular User

Default 1992 BMW E36 320i

Hey guys! I just bought my very first car! It's a '92 320i (E36) with just 165,000 kms. For a 14 year old car it's in excellent condition. Some parts have been resprayed, like the bootlid (the badge is too close to the shutline), but it looks decent. The engine, the gearbox, the brakes, the steering, everything works perfectly. The previous owner is a mechanic, so he did all the small maintenance himself. Of the rest he had done by dealers over the years, he kept all the receipts. Beautiful. The guy was only the second owner and he had it for 11 years. It's a solid, original car and at the €2,500 I paid for it, it's a bargain. I like the fact that it's almost completely original. Too many E36s have been ruined by tasteless idiots. The indicators would look better in clear glass IMO, but unlike many people I won't be replacing just the front ones. If I'm going to do it, it has to be both front and rear.

Initially I was looking for an early E36 325i, but then a friend brought this car to my attention. The 325's I had seen so far were the best looking ones on the internet, but they were very disappointing in real life. I really wanted a good and reliable car, so I thought I'd check this one out anyway because it looked promising. This one had a proper service history and drove like a Beemer should. Then I decided I wasn't going to spend my money on a 325 that I had no confidence in and that I would rather spend it on a car that offered a lot of good six cylinder fun but lacked a couple of hp. Maybe I could have found a 325 that fit the profile, but then again, maybe not.

First things first: the custom shots.

In these pictures, the car is rather dirty. I took a lot of B roads on my way to my parents.

That's what I said, dirty...

It's pretty basic in there. The only options on the car are an alarm with remote central locking, the towbar and the exhaust tip (pipe and muffler are standard). If I can find power windows at a good price I might install that myself. As for the rest, I probably won't change a thing.

Right, so it needed a wash...

My dad and I went looking for a good spot to take some pictures of the car. We succeeded, but unfortunately to get there we drove some filthy roads again. Nevertheless, it looked cleaner than before.

Do I look proud, or what?

Last edited by TT; 02-10-2008 at 05:38 AM.
stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

LOL, it's like watching my car, just different color and rims! hehe, you'll have much fun with it dude!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
LOL, it's like watching my car, just different color and rims! hehe, you'll have much fun with it dude!
I was expecting you! I'm sure I will have lots of fun with it. The sound when you rev it up to 6,500 rpm...
Old 02-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

great choice stradale, congrats

The only thing i can tell you to look out for is the rear tail light assemblies where the sockets lock into contact strips. The brake light sockets will begin to heat up and melt and pit the contact strips. It will cause an intermittent "one brake light fail" or similar message in the check control. Also, if you get a "Brake Light Circuit" message, the brake light switch is bad.

Other than that i don't think you'll have many problems with her Enjoy your new car

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Stikz
Regular User

congrats on the new car stradale. Nice pics
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #6
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62

The only thing i can tell you to look out for is the rear tail light assemblies where the sockets lock into contact strips. The brake light sockets will begin to heat up and melt and pit the contact strips. It will cause an intermittent "one brake light fail" or similar message in the check control. Also, if you get a "Brake Light Circuit" message, the brake light switch is bad.

Other than that i don't think you'll have many problems with her Enjoy your new car
Thanks, Zfrk!

I did have a message about the brake lights in the check control, but they worked fine and check control is not. I heard it's prone to failure and I'm afraid mine is no exception.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
ARMAN
Regular User

Congrats Stradale!!! Beemers are timeless and beautiful Dont know why but even with stock wheels they look terrific IMO

Nice pics also The "photoshoot" ones are :good: And yes, you look very proud

BTW thats just more oil into the fire I am very seriosly thinking the whole last week selling lada and buying 318 e30 ops: :silly:

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
Zot09
Regular User

Congratulations on a nice Bimmer!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale

Thanks, Zfrk!

I did have a message about the brake lights in the check control, but they worked fine and check control is not. I heard it's prone to failure and I'm afraid mine is no exception.
Check out the sockets very carefully. Sometimes it's hard to see where it's melting and pitting.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by ARMAN
BTW thats just more oil into the fire I am very seriosly thinking the whole last week selling lada and buying 318 e30 :silly:
I have never driven a Lada, but I think I can safely advise you to take the Beemer! Good luck hunting, ARMAN!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale

Thanks, Zfrk!

Check out the sockets very carefully. Sometimes it's hard to see where it's melting and pitting.
The brake lights work flawlessly, but I'm going to inspect them nevertheless. It's the check control that is failing. The warning light "check" lights up and the display of the check control referrs me to the manual.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
ZfrkS62
Regular User

it always refers you to the manual. If there is an E36 at work tomorrow, i will try and get a picture of the trouble spots for you.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #13
stradale
Regular User

it always refers you to the manual. If there is an E36 at work tomorrow, i will try and get a picture of the trouble spots for you.
Oh, OK. I have yet to read the manual anyway...

Those pictures would be greatly appreciated, Zfrk! Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #14
dingo
Regular User

Nice buy, looks great and it seems you got a very good price.

Have fun!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
gis
Regular User

Nice ride made,congrats on the purchase,im sure you will have some fun with the RWD lol

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote