Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 04-04-2005, 12:38 AM   #31
supercarfreak
Regular User

thanks everyone

the traction off the line isn't so great if you just floor it, even though the tires i have are 295s in the back and they are not runflats (pure performance)

you really have to feather in the gas pedal for a fast start

i believe i was in 2nd gear when i entered an onramp and floored it (giving my friend alex in MD a ride) i nailed the gas coming right out of a corner before the merge lane which was about 1/8th mile away
active handling was on and the rear started to drift left so i immediately let off the gas and yanked the wheel left, the rear tires gained traction and i jerked the wheel slightly back to center and off we went, man that was exhilarating
this was at 10 in the morning today, a sunday so there were no cars around

needless to say i cant stop driving this mammoth.

goodduck - where in maryland do you live?

I use the throttle to help me navigate corners, if you catch my drift.
supercarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:07 AM   #32
TransAm
Regular User

Excellent. Always good to hear a report on how a car drives. My TA had 50 less HP and a few more lbs, but none of this electronic traction stuff. Enjoy getting that back end out, I did for sure! Be careful when it rains, dude

I love my saab but I really miss RWD. I will never buy another FWD car. FWD is useless with over 200hp and don't even get me started on torque steer, dangerous at WOT until you hit 3rd gear @ 75mph :shock:

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:15 AM   #33
supercarfreak
Regular User

heheh thanks man 8)

my first time driving it was in the rain, i drove very slowly, but still it seemed the car wanted to dart in a certain direction when it hit even a very small puddle, not the best tires in the rain hahah

ill never buy a FWD car again also. very true what you said. my dad was driving pretty fast in our '01 accord to the dealer (trying to make it there in time before it closed) and he was going a little too fast because he was so used to his 911 LOL (albeit AWD)

Old 04-04-2005, 03:26 AM   #34
komotar
Regular User

Thx for the firsg report man.
I sounds like you're really having fun.

I belive you when you say , you didn't listen to the radio all that much.....

I just love the sound the Z06 makes. One of the best V8 sounds ever.....

Maybe your whole neighborhood should gather and race a little.

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:55 AM   #35
bultaco_metralla
Regular User

I want more pics !!!.... just loving the rims and that air exit!! need to see more
bultaco_metralla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #36
supercarfreak
Regular User

more pics soon

thanks everyone for the comments.

i was cleaning my titanium exhaust tips last night w/ rubbing alcohol and paper towels, to get all that exhaust grunge and soot off, the Z06 couple was walking their dog,

haven't really talked to them for a long time, he's looking at getting a white 993 carrera 4S
he posed the idea of us going to a local weekly car gathering in our trio of red sportscars, haha, that's mainly composed of tuned 4 cylinder imports, we both agreed it would be pretty awesome to all show up at the same time with 2 domestic power v8s and a german flat-6 8)

he says its packed during the summer, it sounds like it would be fun

would definitely take my digital camera

cool thing is the meets are at like 11pm to 1am on the weekends which would be cool because i get off work at 10pm

i cant get over how brilliant the car sounds, if you accelerate really slowly you can hear the hum gently climb in volume and anger, then at idle if you rev it and take your foot completely off the gas you can hear it gurgle haha, it sounds so badass.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #37
supercarfreak
Regular User

i almost forgot to mention

i just installed the wheel locks on it today,
for some reason the owner had a brand new set of wheel locks in the trunk (unopened)
its obvious that he really took care of his car so im guessing he had it garaged at home and drove it to work where he knew it would be very safe

there are separate silver plastic covers that thread onto the lugnuts which i thought was pretty cool, they are matched exactly in color to the wheel, and you wouldn't be able to tell that i had wheel locks on unless you removed them

Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #38
RC45
Regular User

Welcome to the club scf... and with the proper model - the 2001

All those 405 2002+ cars are just pretenders to our throne.

Glad you are enjoying the car, it's a blast from idle to redline - but don't let the electronic assistance let you pushit too close to the edge - because as you say the algorithyms are not very intrusive and let you get away with a lot - but they can't overcome the laws of physics..

Either way - enjoy the "best bang for the buck" out there. (especially at current used prices for 2001's.)
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #39
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Really nice car man! And great choice of color!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:06 AM   #40
supercarfreak
Regular User

thanks guys

RC45- lol, yup, it's pretty lenient hahah
any mods to your car?

goodduck- im about 1 mile from bethesda, i could give you a ride when i get a chance

Old 04-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #41
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Congrats man, don't get yourself killed

That thing is awesome

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #42
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by supercarfreak
thanks guys

RC45- lol, yup, it's pretty lenient hahah
any mods to your car?

goodduck- im about 1 mile from bethesda, i could give you a ride when i get a chance
Not yet - with regard to this car and being on the street (not drag racing - but driving involving turns), you will need mods to the driver long before you need mods to the car...

But I do have an open Borla XR pipe to make a "little" more noise - and 2004 shocks to smooth out the bumps and help with stability and minimize "hunting" @ 120+ speeds on 2 lane B-roads out in the backwoods.

You also want to ditch the stock shifter for a B&M Ripper Short throw (or similar), disconnect/bypass the CAGS skip-shift "feature", cut down the R/C Car looking tall antenna and generally have a blast

And even with only 385hp on tap, apart from freeway rollons, that are more about bank balance challenge than driver prowess, I have yet to have a car (any car) give me trouble in the twisties... (OK, the STi did stick aweful close to me but lost out as soon as there was more than 50 yards between corners.. )
Old 04-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #43
supercarfreak
Regular User

nice, thanks for the info,

i DEFINITELY plan to get the skip-shift eliminator
i was driving yesterday and tried to shift from 1st to 2nd after a red light turned green and i basically got denied, the guy behind me flashed me, it was sooo annoying

this car is so ridiculous, i have yet to take a turn/corner too fast, i cant even get the tires to make noise when i do just that haha, its so planted, i love the feel of the steering, its variable assist i believe, its very firm at highway pace but much lighter when going slow to aid in parking

how much is that shifter and how hard is it to install?

have you noticed how annoying it is to engage reverse? ive learned the hard way, even when i slam it into reverse sometimes it doesnt engage, so when i let out the clutch the transmission just starts to shake and this horrible mechanical noise comes out of the back of the car, like the transmission is stuck in the middle of 2 gears, it sucks
ive finally learned to make sure i felt that jagged notch to know im actually in reverse before i let out the clutch

what else did GM change between the 01 an 02+ besides the 20hp? ive heard suspension and something else... how much better is the 02's suspension?

thanks 8)

Old 04-06-2005, 11:55 PM   #44
RC45
Regular User

The changes between the 01 and 02 are not even worth .1 of a second.. Don't let the '02 - '04 guys get to you

As with all stick shifts, it is sometimes easier to get into reverse if you first elect 4th - then select reverse. Same with 1st after you come to a stop - you selecte second, then snick it into 1st. Easy as pie.

Shidter is about $150.00 if I remember - and easy to install.

Becareful - the corner you get into too hot, is the one where the car will bite you - the chassis is so well balancd and well behaved and well carried by the ACtive Handling system it makes great drivers out of us regular slobs...

BTW, you are aware of the subtle nuances of TC on, TC off and Competitive Mode... right?
Old 04-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #45
supercarfreak
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
As with all stick shifts, it is sometimes easier to get into reverse if you first elect 4th - then select reverse. Same with 1st after you come to a stop - you selecte second, then snick it into 1st. Easy as pie.
wow, didn't know that at all, thanks!

Originally Posted by RC45
Becareful - the corner you get into too hot, is the one where the car will bite you - the chassis is so well balancd and well behaved and well carried by the ACtive Handling system it makes great drivers out of us regular slobs...

BTW, you are aware of the subtle nuances of TC on, TC off and Competitive Mode... right?
that is true, haha, im not driving that fast enough to even notice a difference much less activate the active handling system

yeah i do, i read a good bit of the owners manual yesterday

thanks again