Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 01-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #31
TopGearNL
Regular User

/\/\ more power
Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #32
SamuraiGti
Regular User

Now i don't drive so much, about 10k kms a year.
i've got public transports to university that is more cheaper at the end of the month.

Before it was about 30k kms a year, about 150€ of diesel per month.

This file, is the standard file from upsolute. Give's a little more power but nothing too hard.

Turbo pressure stock is about 0,9bar, now has a peak of 1,2bar and stabilize at 1,1 bar.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
SamuraiGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #33
gis
Regular User

lol im gonna save the pic of the mileage youve done to show my mate,he doesnt beleive a diesel when looked after will do mileage like that,what is 248,645 km in miles?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #34
TT
Regular User

Hehe, I hope the mods really equates to what you got.

The police here in my area checked many many cars lately, to stop illegal tuning. In Switzerland if you mod your car you need to pass again the test that allows your car to be registered, especially for pollution tests. 20% more power and you need the manufacturer to certificate through a garage the car is still safe and useable on the road. many laws everybody ignore, so many ppl were busted.

They aim at chip tuning, which is damn common in Italy and here, especially on diesels. "funny" thing: several chipped car once tested revealed much higher fuel consumption and same exact power as stock when not even LESS!

i hope it's not your case!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #35
mevistox5
Regular User

I agree with TT here. Chiptuning can be tricky both in reliability and claimed performance figures. From the commnt I see that it allows a higher boostlevel. So it has probably overridden the max boost setting from factory. Keep in mind that factory set these for safety and emmission reasons.

Be aware that there can be some complications with higher boostlevels such as ignitionsettings (wrong settings causing detonation), fuelsetting (isn't it running too lean and has the fuelpump enough capacity and can the stock internals cope with the higher boostlevels (need stronger ARP bolts?) etc.

I'm not saying this might be the case for you, but more in general it is what you have to take into account when one thinks about chiptuning.

Nico
mevistox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #36
TopGearNL
Regular User

Yep, you got to balance performance and fuel economy, is that little bit extra power worth alot more petrol, if thats the deal... :bah:
Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #37
gis
Regular User

ive said before about my friends fiat punto,his chip cost £499 and was done and tested on a rolling road and produced 135hp,35 increase from stock.he has now driven the car for 24k miles and has had no problem with the car or lost any of the magic diesel mpg,averaging about 43mpg around town and a few blasts on straight roads,on motorways that 43mpg will increase.....so i guess the chip tuning is gettin it done by the right people

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #38
cooperluke
Regular User

Originally Posted by gis
lol im gonna save the pic of the mileage youve done to show my mate,he doesnt beleive a diesel when looked after will do mileage like that,what is 248,645 km in miles?
You're kidding, right???

There are cars with a looot more mileage!!

"A Portuguese taxi that drove for a million kilometers (621,371 miles)without needing to have its engine replaced, but whose original taxi color has unfortunately been painted over, "

In this page:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...416896,00.html

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #39
cooperluke
Regular User

And... for you to see that this is not only with Mercedes, here is a video of an Opel Corsa 1.5td just like mine (not mine though) with around 240000kms and beating 180km/h!!

Mine has 190000kms.

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #40
TopGearNL
Regular User

We have alot of ex mercedes taxis in Holland, many of them have done over 1 Million Kms
Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #41
SamuraiGti
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by TT
several chipped car once tested revealed much higher fuel consumption and same exact power as stock when not even LESS!
That's what I was thinking - more power usually means more fuel...

That's why I did not tune the Meriva... 112hp were tempting over the standard 100hp - but the power increase didn't justify the worse fuel economy

I hope you got at least what you were looking for :bah:
Driving normally, the consumption is the same. I've done some tests and i can do 200km with 10€ of diesel, thing that I used to do before the chip.

But when you want to go faster,of course that the consumption will go very high

For now, my clutch is the original one, and no big signs of wear, of course that in some time i'll have to change because of the mileage that it has.

About turbo, it's the original too, the pressure that makes doesn't compromise anything.

Some carefull things to do to keep the car right, like reduce the time/mileage of oil change, after going fast let the car rest a little before turning off etc etc.

The chip that I've put on the car, is to substitute the original maps, what they do is a complete remap of the ecu, and explores the security margin that probably all engine's have.

These maps are the standard files from upsolute, nothing very hard and is to keep fiability

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #42
SamuraiGti
Regular User

Originally Posted by gis
249k kms is about 155k miles.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #43
mevistox5
Regular User

Originally Posted by gis
so i guess the chip tuning is gettin it done by the right people
Yep, that's the motto. The only thing you have to do is to find the one that really makes the difference.

Nico
mevistox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #44
SamuraiGti
Regular User

My chip was installed by the guy who takes care of the electronic in the racing vw tdi in the uk.

Don't remember the name of the Championship, they were champions this year.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #45
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by SamuraiGti
My chip was installed by the guy who takes care of the electronic in the racing vw tdi in the uk.

Don't remember the name of the Championship, they were champions this year.
Sounds like an expert