Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 11-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #16
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas View Post
I'm sure a LS1 E30 should be quite fun to drive.....
Definitely. There are a few who I've seen on other forums that have done it. But it's not an easy swap by any means.. lots of re-engineering and fabrication of parts is needed.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
gobs3z
Regular User

Thanks everyone, the swap is from a kit. There are two different companies that make kits, i used hinsonsupercars.com kit. I got the engine and trans from Flordia out of a crashed Camaro. I would have had it running last year, but the aftermarket cam we got from Futral motorsports and put it in before starting the engine up with the stock cam (big mistake). The car never started after replacing the ignition system and getting the wiring harness replaced. Then we put the stock cam back in and it came to life. Futral sent out a bad batch of cams and never told the people they sent them out to even though they knew. And I've seen LS1's in BMW small 318i, I think that's what its called.
The car is fast as hell though in stock form, I raced a turbo 350Z on accident and the 350z barely pulled away. I really want to track the car, but i'm not sure i can keep it much longer because there's too much money into it and it is my daily driver, mind you i live in Chicago. But the cam is going in before i sell it and........i cannot wait to hear the beast then, i'm drooling right now. I don't know why people don't understand that lightweight is the way to go? People instead put their money into Supra's for 3x the money. It could be the Supra sound...

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
pagani
Regular User

Question

That is a awesome car ls1 engines are perfect for a mazda rx7.
Do you weight of the ls1 v8 compared to the 13b engine?
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #19
dangerously_cool
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z View Post
I'm estimating the build put me back 27-29, but people do it for lows 20's. I just invested in a lot of stuff that was not cheap like $800 sway bars and $350 sway bar mounts. Either way i'll probably sell it to get out of the debt it has me and figure out my next ride. Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate especially this has been the most frustrating venture I've ever dealt with.
Gobs your RX7 is really clean. It reminds me of an SRT forums guy did the same thing but I never heard if he finished.

I'll bet it was frustrating, it took me 4 years to build my srt before i wrecked it and all I did was one of the first big turbos in the country (fuck the ECU though I swear).

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
That is a awesome car ls1 engines are perfect for a mazda rx7.
Do you weight of the ls1 v8 compared to the 13b engine?
He said it's about the same.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:50 AM   #20
ae86_16v
Regular User

Holy smokes. . . hahaa, that's crazy. Awesome set up. I've seen people use the Corvette's LS6 too.

And as the car itself, that is great car. I still love that style.

Great job.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #21
dannyroz
Regular User

I was thinking of getting a LS2 rx7, how much power you have right now? Hows the mileage? Did you have any problems with the rex that didnt involve drivetrain (electrics, heater, etc.)? Handle just as well? These are the things I am interested in, lol
Old 11-23-2007, 01:18 AM   #22
T-Bird
Regular User

hey you should bring it by our shop sometime before you sell it. We have a 7 that would give you a run for it's money, once it gets fine tuned it will be even better.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #23
spanky
Regular User

I luv V8 conversions... Great job mate! Looks awesome...
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #24
gobs3z
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
hey you should bring it by our shop sometime before you sell it. We have a 7 that would give you a run for it's money, once it gets fine tuned it will be even better.
I think that can be arranged, and I also need to get some tuning done. What shop are you at?

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
Old 11-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #25
T-Bird
Regular User

protege garage we specialize in mazdas. We're in Libertyville but moving out in January to a new place.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #26
gobs3z
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
protege garage we specialize in mazdas. We're in Libertyville but moving out in January to a new place.
I've been trying to find a place that does alignments on RX-7's, does you shop have the ability even though the car is lowered? I've been turned down by everyone I've gone to and the last place charged me $80 just to look at it.
Anyways, where will your knew location be?

Also, thank you everyone for your comments.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 AM   #27
T-Bird
Regular User

sadly we don't have alignment equipment (VERY expensive for the good stuff) we are trying to save for a dyno. our new shop will be either in McHenry area or Grayslake. we are looking at a few locations we will probably be closed down for a month or so in January. Luckily our Online business is striving. How low is the car? I might be able to find someone to do it for REAL cheap.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 AM   #28
RC45
Regular User

How is the car lowered?

I dont understand the many shops who refuse to work with lowered cars.

Unless I have been spoiled with the C5 that has a height adjustable suspension as stock.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #29
gobs3z
Regular User

The ride height should not be too different than stock. It's as high as it can go, and it runs pretty low stock. I'll measure it when I get a chance. It almost seems like people are just scared to touch the car.