Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 02-19-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
rift321
Regular User

Default '98 Grand Am GT: the epitome of mediocrity

I drive an automatic Grand Am. Redlines at a whopping 5000 rpm, but usually only makes it to 4. 160 naturally aspirated horsepower. I don't even know the torque, but it's something rediculous. Displaces an entire 2.1 litres. Spoiler for increased downforce at high speeds.

Dependable, you ask? Don't even think about it. 8)

you wish you had it:
- the 4-door '98 Grand Am GT.

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/s...c=&cid=&row=23

rift321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
callen
Regular User

my rents are leasin a 02 grand am stock blocker(no gt no power notin) and they are thinkin about buying it out! im thinkin about crying Mediocrity is the perfect word for such a car
Old 02-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
TT
Regular User

Comon dude my 320i is not that much neither not everybody can drive a Ferrari.. especially since only some 3000 of them are produced every year LOL! And we are like 6'000'000'000
Old 02-20-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

Rift 321 and Callen got it right. mediocrity is the word for most pontiacs. i shouldnt talk though. my car is a generic, so-so box as well. the ford taurus does take top place in the fight for mediocrity. however. i see more of those than anything else on the road.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #5
racer_f50
Regular User

i love Pontiacs and all, but the Grand Ams are cheap pieces of crap. I drove a '95 Grand Prix for a couple years and loved it a lot. the 3.1L V6 was nice and responsive, easy to get the auto tranny to reach redline too.
after that blew up (my fault, didn't fix a bad oil pump), i test drove a '98 Grand Am GT like this topic is about. totally shitty in every way.
Despite having the same model of engine, this car had terrible response and pitiful acceleration. the interior was rattly and made little squeeks and stuff, the seats were less comfortable, the ride was harsher, etc......
and from what i read online, these had a terrible brake system that would warp your rotors pretty quickly
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
AlienDB7
Regular User

Isn't that 3.1 same as the one in the malibu? I drove the malibu quite a few times (courtesy car obviously) and it sure is responsive... you get torque steer everytime you touch the gas pedal!
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:26 PM   #7
scumhookleo
Regular User

LOL!! What a beast.

I sometimes get stuck with Grand Am's when I rent cars (travelling for work), and I would have to agree that they define the term "mediocre". At least some of them have real handbrakes so you can get the sideways around corners (as long as it's wet and you're heading downhill with the wind behind you).

The Grand Prix isn't too bad a car though - especially the one with the blown 6...
scumhookleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
jpatino03
Regular User

LOL...My friend has a 98 grand am gt and its a piece of shit.

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
360 Spyder
Regular User

Let me step up to bat here...I drive a '99 Grand Am SE and LOVE it! I have not had any major problems in 145,000+ miles! She is VERY responsive and loves running the curves of the backroads where I live. A total blast to drive!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:01 AM   #10
VerderameJ
Regular User

I have to say that I am not impressed with the Grand Am/Alero series at all. An old gf of mine had one, bought it new in 98 (99 model year) and it was such a terrible car really...the windows scratched themselves from rolling down (deep too), there were several electrical shorts, the paint was about as thick and resiliant as rice paper. Still the engine was pretty descent (SE2 with the bigger engine but not the ram air GT version which only had 5 more hp anyways) with a good pickup.
For what she paid for the thing I am not so sure it was a good buy...though buying one at auction might not be so bad...