Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 02-12-2004, 01:28 AM   #16
deth
Regular User

^^ my thoughts exactly...IMO its a bit premature to be investing in tech that hasnt really proved itself yet... esp in comps considering u're likely going to have it for max 5 years
Old 02-14-2004, 03:49 PM   #17
paulrudz

Originally Posted by crazidude
A64s are probably the best processor you can buy now regardless of what you're doing. With Windows 64, its content creation and such has improved greatly to a point which I think it matches P4s. In games, I believe they're faster aswell, but don't expect Windows 64 to come out soon. Also, there isn't much of an upgrading path for the current A64s.
yep.. but windows xp64bit is only a beta ATM and trust me its hard getting drivers for a lot of hardware, but I guess over the next few months that problem should be fixed and then it will fly.. I'm running it dual boot with normal xp pro, and its definitely a little snappier in some things, but as I can't get drivers for my capture and sound cards, or for the sata raid controller on my m/b its not worth using it as a full time o/s yet.

still, in xp pro the a64 rocks and is as fast as a p4 with ~1.4ghz higher clock speed depending on the app you're running, in games and normal apps it rules, maybe in some video editing tasks its a little slower but the difference is not massive, and when skt939 motherboards and the revised a64's are out in a couple of months it will be the system to have, especially when matched with xp64bit edition

Old 02-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #18
crazidude
Regular User

I doubt the A64 will beat P4 for much longer if AMD doesn't scale the chips higher. The Prescott core for the P4s I've read increase performance more as it gets scaled higher, like the A64s. But the P4s can go to 4-5Ghz Intel clams.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote