Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 04-20-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
JN396

Default Former Rally Racer Colin McRae to race in Le Mans

Former World Rally Champion Colin McRae is now looking forward even more to making his debut at the famous La Sarthe circuit of Le Mans, having recently completed a two-day test at Circuit Paul Ricard at Le Castellet, southern France.

Driving a Care Racing Ferrari 550 Maranello, the Scot left the test feeling very at home in his new cockpit surroundings and upbeat about the challenge of the 24 Hour race. Also at the test was Swiss driver Alain Menu, winner of last year’s Petit Le Mans race in a Care Racing supported, Prodrive operated Ferrari 550.

Back home and training hard for the endurance classic, McRae reflected on the test session:

“It was a bit frustrating on the first day as we didn’t get as many laps in as we’d have liked due to an electrical problem which caused an intermittent engine misfire. The team solved that overnight and the second day was much smoother. I got some good laps in on the second day and did a whole stint (one hour) where all my lap times were within a second of each other so I’m pleased with that.

“I haven’t got my seat sorted out properly yet so had some back problems, but that’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a seat fitting which we’ll do in the next week or so.

“By the end of the test I felt at home in the car and had begun to explore its limits. We made various adjustments, all of which I could feel, so I’m now reasonably confident with the car and my performance. I know it will be a learning curve, once at Le Mans, and I would of course have liked to do some more testing, but it’s a good start. It’s comforting for me to know I’ll be in a Prodrive run car, knowing the team and many of the people so well, so now I just want to get to Le Mans and get to know the circuit.”

BMS withdraw Le Mans entry

The pre-selected entry of BMS Scuderia Italia, by virtue of the Italian team’s 2003 FIA GT Championship success, has been withdrawn. BMS, who operate Ferrari 550 Maranellos leased from Care Racing Development, took the decision in order to concentrate on their main task of retaining their FIA GT title, and also because a lack of resources and time would have hindered them in changing one of their cars from FIA to ACO specification. BMS Team Manager, Tiziano Minuti, explained.

“At the moment the technical rules for both series are not the same and it takes time, people and money to be able to make the changes – not impossible, but much more difficult when resources have already been allocated to a Championship which, this year, has an additional round outside Europe and races either side of the official Le Mans test weekend.

“Like every other sports car team, we would very much like to take part in the world’s most prestigious endurance race, but this year we preferred to concentrate our efforts on the FIA GT Championship. We therefore wish all the other Care Racing supported entrants good luck and good fortune, as I am sure they will for us at the Spa 24 Hours in July.”

On going negotiations

Care Racing is still in negotiation with a number of different drivers and other parties with a view to the operation of its pre-selected entry to Le Mans - the fourth 550 Maranello within the company’s stable at the French classic.

The three other Ferrari 550 Maranellos entered will be run by Prodrive (2 cars) and Larbre Competition (1 car).

Frederic Dor, founder of Care Racing, commented: “We are still talking to a lot of people, and have not given up on having four cars at Le Mans. There is still time yet and I really hope we will be able to finalise something soon.”

Old 04-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
biff19_a
Regular User

Good for him... when he tested for Jordan a few years ago i think he got like what within 2 secs of the regular drivers... glad to see him going out there and trying new things...

Now the real question is this... are rally drivers the best in the world?? i guess we will find out
biff19_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
stradale
Regular User

Good news. Colin is fast in everything that has wheels and an engine. I'm curious as to how it will go.

BTW, McRae driving the Jordan a number of years back wasn't a test. He was just given the chance to drive an F1 car for once. I believe it was a birthday present from Martin Brundle or something. Anyway, Jordan wasn't interested in letting him drive an F1 car competitively.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
coombsie66
Regular User

^^ He's fast in and on anything with wheels and an engine! He's got a fireblade roadbike i believe and i saw a program on him when he picked up a racing speck 600 bike and ragged it round knockhill 4 a few laps!! Well and truely a speed freak! (oh and he has good taste as he owned an E39 M5! )
Old 04-20-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
geekdiggy
Regular User

is this considered "news" if it's almost two months old?

hard to hit in only three tries.
geekdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:42 PM   #6
JN396

i just saw this and was interested on how he would do i didnt know how old it was though
Old 04-26-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
rob_e1
Regular User

Love that 550 race car.. there was a short piece in evo this month about a program Care-Racing are doing to make some road-going replicas of the race car.

ie. start with a stock 550 maranello, rip off all the bodywork and replace with carbon fibre, rip out the interior and replace with race buckets etc, lightweight rims, big AP brakes and sticky tyres. Will be big $$$ but a FANTASTIC road car even if they leave the engine in stock form...
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Yeah I read that in EVO as well, its too bad that they are only going to make around 50 or so...but I guess that the buyers would want it to be exclusive
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:00 PM   #9
SPAD
Regular User

ITS A 575 NOT A 550! THEY DONT MAKE THE 550 ANYMORE
Old 05-24-2004, 09:41 AM   #10
FoxFour
Regular User

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but I read, in the latest issue of EVO; I think, that Colin heard that Subaru was looking for a driver and that they picked that Finnish guy instead of him and he said that he was devastated, vowing that he will never participate in rally again.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:13 PM   #11
veilsidebr

he is good at driving...let´s see his performance throughout the season...it´s just a question of adapting to a new racing car...when he get it, he´ll do his best
Old 05-25-2004, 04:45 AM   #12
rob_e1
Regular User

Originally Posted by SPAD
ITS A 575 NOT A 550! THEY DONT MAKE THE 550 ANYMORE
You're right that the 550 is no longer in production as a road car (replaced by 575) but the cars entered in Le Mans by Care Racing and Prodriver ARE 550 Maranellos, not 575's.

There are a couple of 575's racing too entered by Barron Connor team.
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:04 PM   #13
DTM8
Regular User

I also read that article on EVO

That race car is amazing, so is the team
DTM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:23 AM   #14
sads
Regular User

as long as theres 4 wheels he'll drive them off
sads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:49 AM   #15
zachiot1
Regular User

AZNSUNNYD, thanks for those pics that I've never seen before. This 550 is very impressive. I deeply wish McRae to perform well this week.