Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines

Books, Comics And Magazines This is the place to discuss Books, Comics And Magazines that you have read / are reading

Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
blinkmeat
Regular User

Default Can you

describe the rise of Fascism in Europe in the immediate post World War I period within the context of the “roots” of the past?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Haha.. I've always had the idea of trying to get JW members to do my homework
Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
blinkmeat
Regular User

Its just a fun wiki excercise is all I swear

damn bong
Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Haha.. I've always had the idea of trying to get JW members to do my homework

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
Its just a fun wiki excercise is all I swear

damn bong
Yeah, ROOR is the downfall of my life.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
blinkmeat
Regular User

ftw

really though ... where's bmw06m6 when you need him?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally, the term fascism was used by an Italian political movement that ruled Italy from 1922 to 1943 under the leadership of Benito Mussolini (see Italian fascism). Later, fascism became a more generic term that was meant to cover an entire class of authoritarian political ideologies, parties, and political systems, though no consensus was ever achieved on a precise definition of what it means to be "fascist". Various scholars have sought to define fascism, and a list of such definitions can be found in the article Definitions of fascism.

Part of the difficulty arises from the fact that there are, at present, very few self-identified fascists. Since the defeat of the Axis powers in World War II, the word has become a slur throughout the rest of the political spectrum; since 1945 it has been extremely uncommon for political groups to call themselves fascist. In contemporary political discourse, adherents of some ideologies tend to associate fascism with their enemies, or define it as embodying the opposite of their own views. There are currently no major self-proclaimed fascist parties or organizations anywhere in the world.

The governments and parties most often considered to have been fascist include Nazi Germany under Adolf Hitler, Spain's Falange, Portugal's Estado Novo, Hungary's Arrow Cross Party, Romania's Iron Guard, and other similar movements that existed across Europe in the 1920s and 1930s. Some authors reject this broader use of the term or exclude certain of these parties and regimes.[3]

Fascism attracted political support from diverse sectors of the population, including big business, farmers and landowners, nationalists, and reactionaries, disaffected World War I veterans, intellectuals such as Gabriele D'Annunzio, Curzio Malaparte, Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, Carl Schmitt and Martin Heidegger, conservatives and small businessmen, and the masses to whom they promised work and bread. In countries such as Romania and Hungary (and to a lesser extent in other states), Fascism had a strong base of support among the working classes and extremely poor peasants.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:35 AM   #8
blinkmeat
Regular User

Thanks first of all -- This paper is about fascism in Italy ... So the Russian's played a huge role... yadda yadda ... I've never written an essay such as this before and to be honest I'm lost and almost out of time ops: Here's what I've got to go on ... Any help would be awesome of you

ESSAY ASSIGNMENT: HISTORIOGRAPHICAL METHODS PAPER

Over the course of the term students will be assigned and undertake to write ONE (1) essay paper worth 25% of the course grade. The essay should be about 3 typed-pages (1,000 words), excluding title page and list of bibliographic sources, and it must properly styled and formatted. The due date is THURSDAY MARCH 1ST. Below is a list of THREE (3) suggested topics from which students must choose only ONE (1). Although specific details will be outlined and explained in class during tutorial sessions, it is sufficient enough to state here that the focus of the essay assignment, in addition to developing a specific historical topic, is to address specific methodological problems in the field of historical research and writing. There is an expectation that students will begin to develop a sophisticated appreciation of how the character of historical sources and the working methods of historians shape historical knowledge. Also, and in regard specifically to some of the films that will be screened in the class, students will be expected to do far more than rely on a simple ‘retelling’ of the story and its plot should they choose to analyze or make reference to a film in their essays. A fundamental methodological assumption made by the course is that some film can provide an important subject for the historian seeking to understand and explain the past. Each student, therefore, will be expected to explore and provide well-researched personalized answers to such questions as: Is there a political, social, economic or cultural link between a given film and the historical evidence that has emerged from the course lectures, readings and discussions? What is the significance of the pictorial and spoken language of a given film? Does the film genres — newsreel, documentary, feature and/or cultural film — significantly alter the ideological message and/or the historical integrity of the medium? Finally, are the general terms and assumptions required for understanding the ‘past’ and traditionally accepted by historians a necessary and unalterable methodological framework for filmmakers of historical drama? Students are advised to note that the essay assignment is due in class. Late submissions will be penalized at the rate of 5% per day. Extensions will be granted only on medical grounds or in the case of exceptional circumstances, and in these cases only with the appropriate supporting documentation. If students know in advance of circumstances that will prevent them from meeting the due date, they must consult the course director ‘before’ rather than ‘after’ the deadline. All essay assignments will be assessed, graded and returned in class to each student by the course director at the first class meeting following the submission date.

BIBLIOGRAPHIC SOURCES

The only bibliographic sources that students will be permitted to employ in the preparation of their term papers are the required course texts:

T.C.W. Blanning, (ed.) Oxford Illustrated History of Modern Europe (Oxford, 2001)

P.M.H. Bell, Twentieth Century Europe (Oxford, 2006)

LIST OF SUGGESTED SUBJECTS

1. Describe the rise of Fascism in Europe in the immediate post World War I period within the context of the “roots” of the past.

2. Select ONE (1) of the articles collected in the edited text by T.C.W. Blanning and write a “methodological historical review.”

6. Select ONE (1) of the films or documentaries screened in the course and discuss its merits and contributions to history as a “cinematic historical document.”
ESSAY CORE CRITERIA
Each of the following five core criteria is based on a grading scheme ranging between 0 - 4 points.

GRADE
Advancement of a clear, analytical, and comprehensive thesis /4
Presentation and defence of a personal methodological approach /4
Appreciation for the methodological approaches employed by selected sources /4
Analysis of subject matter within the context of relevant historical themes /4
Ability to employ the conceptual language of historical analysis /4

TOTAL /20

WRITING STYLE, GRAMMAR & FORMATTING PRACTICE
Overall ability to effectively communicate research findings and knowledge through written work

An exceptional ability to write clearly, persuasively, and eloquently — 5 points
An excellent ability to write clearly and persuasively— 4 points
A good ability to write clearly — 3 points
A sufficiently competent ability to write adequately — 2 points
Difficulty writing adequately — 1 point
Inability to write — 0 points

TOTAL /5
INSTRUCTOR’S COMMENTS:

FINAL GRADE /25
Old 03-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
Mattk
Regular User

Why is it only on Italy? P.M.H. Bell talked plenty about Germany as well.

It's a historiographical essay, so the focus, as described in the rather long-winded preamble, is the methodology of Bell and Blanning. But this doesn't matter, because it was due some time ago.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
TopGearNL
Regular User

Im not saying it really started in Italy, not sure of that but it did have a major impact when Mussolini turned to it, because Hitler did the same, following him..