Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 12-28-2004, 09:29 AM   #16
dingo
Regular User

'something happens' could be an animal running onto the road, a person, another car......surely you can see my point?
Old 12-28-2004, 09:36 AM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo22
'something happens' could be an animal running onto the road, a person, another car......surely you can see my point?
No I can't see your point.

Where did this animal, person or car come from?

You would see this animal, person or other car a long time before you "happened upon them" out of the blue.... and would have adjusted your speed a long time in advance - in fact you would never have even remotely been travelling at that speed anywhere near where such hazards might be.... surely you can see my point?

Perhaps you would run right upto traffic and through a farmyard and down a busy city street with pedestrians and lined with trees and quaint houses - at 156mph..... and then be "surprised" by something happening ahead of you....

I guess the concept of speed for conditions is lost on many..

And coming from an Australian - I figured you would know about "open space"... hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:00 AM   #18
dingo
Regular User

ok, lets say a kangaroo (to use an Aussie example) is sitting behind a tree or some bushes by the side of the road.....somewhere you can't see it from you driving position. Then it decides to jump out onto the road as you approach.....if your doing 56 you may have a chance to stop, at 156 you have absolutely no chance.
I think this could go on for about 10 pages.....neither of us are going to budge.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:15 AM   #19
RC45
Regular User

ok, lets say a kangaroo (to use an Aussie example) is sitting behind a tree or some bushes by the side of the road.....somewhere you can't see it from you driving position. Then it decides to jump out onto the road as you approach.....if your doing 56 you may have a chance to stop, at 156 you have absolutely no chance.
I think this could go on for about 10 pages.....neither of us are going to budge.
No - lets go on..

How far is the tree/bush from the road?

Considering the proximaty of peripheral vision obscuring objects would contribute to the assesment of the risk...

Where the bush with 10ft of the road... then that contributes to the "conditions" not being condusive to high speeds.

Where the roadway clear for 50ft or more on each side.. and the area relatively treeless... then those are conditions that would mitigate the risks involved.

You just won't concede that individuals have the ability to assess the situation and make the correct call - with visibility good, peripheral obstrucions absent and obstructions non-exhistant, speed is no mor edangerous that no speed.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:22 AM   #20
No.1
Regular User

On another note.... WTF is that message on the mirror?!!! Another example of the nannying and ridiculous US of A.... is it a legal disclaimer, that they told you one of the most basio facts about a mirror?! Themessage is so fucking stupid, i would probably rip the whole mirror off my car :roll:
Old 12-28-2004, 10:25 AM   #21
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
No - lets go on..

Considering the proximaty of peripheral vision obscuring objects would contribute to the assesment of the risk...

Where the bush with 10ft of the road... then that contributes to the "conditions" not being condusive to high speeds.

Where the roadway clear for 50ft or more on each side.. and the area relatively treeless... then those are conditions that would mitigate the risks involved.

You just won't concede that individuals have the ability to assess the situation and make the correct call - with visibility good, peripheral obstrucions absent and obstructions non-exhistant, speed is no mor edangerous that no speed.
I'm tired, I need to got to bed.
I will concede that 'some' individuals have the ability to assess the situation, but alot of them are too stupid for that and will drive at those speeds in the wrong places.
I still don't agree that in the right conditions high speed is no more dangerous then no speed, but if your going to do it then this is the place to do so.
BTW, next time you go to this safe road where you did these speeds take a photo of the road and its surroundings for me........maybe we can reach an agreement.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:39 AM   #22
saadie
Regular User

a pic is worth a 1000 words ... lol ... and they arent finishing ^^^^ :roll: ....

oh and btw ... if yer goin 156mph on a 50mph zone ... and there is a speed cam or a cop with a speed gun hiding somewhere .. then yes it is dangerous
Old 12-28-2004, 10:43 AM   #23
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by saadie
a pic is worth a 1000 words ... lol ... and they arent finishing ^^^^ :roll: ....

oh and btw ... if yer goin 156mph on a 50mph zone ... and there is a speed cam or a cop with a speed gun hiding somewhere .. then yes it is dangerous
no we haven't finished.....not at 1000 words yet.
I assume he has a radar/laser detector so that will be avoided also.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:45 AM   #24
saadie
Regular User

haha ..... yeah
Old 12-28-2004, 11:17 AM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Speed cam? To catch what? Cows grazing in the fields too fast? These are rathr rural areas...

And there was actually a County Mounty sitting at the side of one of the stretches of road.. but his radar was detectable from more than 2 mile away...
Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #26
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
No - lets go on..

I'm tired, I need to got to bed.
I will concede that 'some' individuals have the ability to assess the situation, but alot of them are too stupid for that and will drive at those speeds in the wrong places.
I still don't agree that in the right conditions high speed is no more dangerous then no speed, but if your going to do it then this is the place to do so.
BTW, next time you go to this safe road where you did these speeds take a photo of the road and its surroundings for me........maybe we can reach an agreement.

This is an example of one of the more densely "populated" routes... a place you slow down to 100..
Old 12-28-2004, 11:35 AM   #27
saadie
Regular User

hmm ..
what if a fly hiding in yer car gets into yer eye ...
or a frog or a lizzard comes benethe yer tyre .. huh .. ??
Old 12-28-2004, 11:44 AM   #28
RC45
Regular User

hmm ..
what if a fly hiding in yer car gets into yer eye ...
or a frog or a lizzard comes benethe yer tyre .. huh .. ??
OK - you got me there.. if a spider hiding behind the sunvisor were to drop down onto my hand I would simply jump out the moving car - so moving at 56mph would hurt me less than if I were moving at 156mph..
Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #29
TransAm
Regular User

LMAO @ "competitive driving' message on the readout. Be careful RC, we're in the 'republic of texas' and you'd spend some time in jail for that sort of speed... if they could catch you LOL!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #30
saadie
Regular User

hence proved ... driving at 156 mph is more dangerous then driving at 56mph .....