Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 09-13-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
dingo
Regular User

Default How much can you sell photos for?

I've been approached by a local business man who is starting a new exotic-car related company.

He wants to use some of my images for his advertising (website, brochures, magazine ads etc) and wants to know what I charge per photo.

So far I've only sold photos of a photoshoot to a magazine, not individual shots to someone who will use them in advertising.

So does anyone have experience in this situation that can give me a rough idea of what I can charge per photo.

I know a few of you sell photos so your help would be appreciated, feel free to PM me if you don't want it public how much you get for a photo.

I need a response ASAP, no pressure.

Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

Since it's not my real business I tend to sell them for ridiculously low prices (I guess ).. usually I just give the originals of a whole photoshoot for some 100, 200, max 300 USD and I don't really care what the guy will do with them :bah: anyway I know they will never make it to Time's cover :roll:
Old 09-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

I dont know much about this either but google up agencies that sell stock photographs - these are typically what go into print ads. Maybe you can idea of the price there.

Also do you intend to sell a digital file to them or is it a hard copy taken on photo paper, glossy, poster. If the latter, you will need to include the printing costs. An example here is the prime photographer used by F1 racing magazine - Mark Sutton. Look at his website to see how he sells the pictures. http://www.sutton-images.co.uk/

I think $200-400 should be a good start to begin with and maybe you can raise it later as you build a portfolio list of clients

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

how about this Dingo

write up a long term contract with him, and offer your services at $xx per car, rather then per photo.

chances are, you will end up doing similar photos of each car, and it is ideal to get a baseline, both to save time, and make sure he isn't taking too serious advantage of you
Old 09-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
stmoritzer
Regular User

So far I only got once some money for my pics, around 250USD for a bunch of pics (~120), but they are only used to be sent to the participants per email.

The copyright of a picture beeing published in magazines, ads can easily be 1000+ USD

I agree with sameerrao , 300-400USD is probabely a good number
since the brochures and ads will not be published in the whole country I guess , and for this prize he gets the right of the picture.

What did you get for the magazine-shooting (pm me if you want)? IMO the copyright of one or two pictures for a brochure is close to the value for a magazine-shooting or even higher. Let me know and I ask my bro about it (maybe I can compare some numbers) , he has a connection to a fotographer site.

I hope you can get a good prize, fingers crossed

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
how about this Dingo

write up a long term contract with him, and offer your services at $xx per car, rather then per photo.

chances are, you will end up doing similar photos of each car, and it is ideal to get a baseline, both to save time, and make sure he isn't taking too serious advantage of you
I agree with Nth.. think bigger, think business.

Write up some sort of contract explaining exactly the number of photos and what he can do with them and for how long. Have a meeting with this guy and see exactly what he wants to do with them and his business. You should even try to do more than just his ads and brochures.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
dingo
Regular User

Thanks guys, you've given me an indication of what seems a fair price....I had a figure of $200 in mind but needed some more thoughts from you guys.

As for contracts and stuff, good idea but maybe down the track a bit. This is still a side income and not something I can spend too long on anymore these days unfortunately. :bah:

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
..You should even try to do more than just his ads and brochures.
We are already in discussions about doing some more stuff, will be interesting if it all works out.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
salegosse
Regular User

sounds good for you
Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
spanky
Regular User

Good luck dingo ole boy!
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #10
sentra_dude

Good luck man, I hope you make some good bucks! 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Awesome dude, good luck. You should really start offering prints off of your webpage.. I wouldnt mind a couple of nice 16x20 prints of your photos
Old 09-15-2006, 05:16 AM   #12
TT
Regular User

IMO, since this is afterall just side income and not really needed to "survive", it's wiser to ask a lower price and be sure they won't turn to somebody else rather than trying to gain more money and maybe loose an opportunity... maybe it's just me
Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
IMO, since this is afterall just side income and not really needed to "survive", it's wiser to ask a lower price and be sure they won't turn to somebody else rather than trying to gain more money and maybe loose an opportunity... maybe it's just me
Exactly how I feel, there are some nice things that could come out of becoming known to this guy and the business he is starting.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
Originally Posted by TT
Exactly how I feel, there are some nice things that could come out of becoming known to this guy and the business he is starting.
I agree 100% completely. Though if there's an opportunity to gain some money out of it, why don't try to get as much out of it as possible without giving the impression being greedy.

Anyways, good look with this ne dealership, Dingo!
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
sentra_dude

Ok guys, I need your help!

Similar situation to dingo's so I figured I wouldn't make a new topic. The owner of one of the cars I took pics of at the french quarter classic has asked if there's anyway he can buy prints of the pics I took(!) I really have no idea how much to charge per individual photo (I'm guessing he wants to buy 5-10 photos). Also, do you usually include the files when you sell prints, say on a CD-R or something? Finally, where is a good place to get prints done (and what is a good size), there is an Office Depot close to me, do you guys use professional shops or what?

Sorry for all the questions, any help is greatly appreciated!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote