Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > 5th Gear Discussion

Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 AM   #16
Sir_GT
Regular User

I thought the show sucked.

The hosts just don't have any charisma. They're as dry as the sahara. The office looked like they nicked the set from crimewatch, and then you had Tiff trying to be witty, with the two other hosts obviously not knowing how to fill air time.

It was just awful. Really awful. Bring on Top Gear.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 AM   #17
jorge
Regular User

Apart from their awful office, i really like the new 1-hour format and the AM V8, Ford GT & 911 vs 240R features were very very nice.

Overall i would say the show has become very good with the time
Old 10-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #18
akathestig
Regular User

I have never really watched FG. I've seen almost all of the TG eps and I am a huge fan. This was the first entire FG ep i've seen, and to hear from so many on here that this is a huge improvement makes me wonder how anyone could have sat through any of the older shows. How bad were they? I thought this was brutal and the TG jab was so lame. It was hard to sit through the entire show. I can't wait for TG!
akathestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #19
Daggernite
Regular User

I thought it was better than before. But everything just seems to be rushed. I'd rather have lengthy in depth reviews than crappy short ones, and just cut the crappy things out like planes and dumb concept cars.

What they should do it look at the Z4 and boxster review they did last year and try focus on what made that so good. Cuz that was perfection.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:12 PM   #20
yg60m
Regular User

Lol, I am always downloading the full episode with my f...... 56k connection so I can't give my POV on anything else than the features : they looks very nice and well made as usually, maybe better than Top Gear for some parts as I can hear more of engine's sound ... And the program for next shows is very attractive : Zonda F; Koenigsegg (or Veyron, wich one is the fastest ), can't wait to see Top Gear's answer
Old 10-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #21
ae86_16v
Regular User

Ehh. . . I think I prefer the 1/2 hour version more. Seriously, it seems be bit drawn out. The 1/2 hour version was bam bam bam. Done, car reviews that is it. No discussion, no need to be funny, etc.

They need to come up with original ideas. The office setting was okay, but I think they could do it better, I don't know how. But it just did not feel right. A bit cheesy too.

And yeah, Vicki does not look good at all anymore. Before she used to be alright, but now she is too old looking.

I don't know, I'll give it a few more episodes. Looking forward to seeing the F1 car. But I liked the 1/2 hour version more.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #22
FoxFour
Regular User

Personally, I like the new format. Even though there are many Top Gear influences in this show, I for one like the office for a studio. All of the driving impressions were great. Since it's an hour show they seem to be able to spend more time reviewing each car. Remember, on Top Gear they (The hosts) blabber on for a while and mingle with the audience. Works for their show but since 5th Gear has no live studio audience, they can still keep their automotive news show -type format. A little chit-chat for a moment and then right to the next segment.
Jabba, I think Vicki still looks good, loved her new hair color and I think she lost a few pounds in the process. You know, water retention and all that..
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #23
Wutputt
Regular User

On one hand, they made a giant leap forward. And then I'm talking about the features, like the AMV8 one and the double GT one: well filmed, some nice touches (though I was left wondering if Harrier just was something to make the review more interesting or if they wanted to show us they also can do some review with the British Air Force like Top Gear did).

On the other hand, they also made a big step in the wrong direction. The office just is a complete rip off of Top Gear’s studio. And it felt so cheap, as did VBH's hair job. Also the fact they changed their shoot out format into a lap time board just show they are fellow travelling Top Gear. The fact they still want to put some immature jokes against Top Gear in their show really annoys me.

After watching the complete episode, I think I’d rather like the old 30 min format. Their current 1 hour format contains 15 minutes of commercials, and I can't dispose myself of the fact they filled the other 15 extra minutes with utter crap or boring stuff. In the new format they are talking constantly between the reviews. Whereas the Top Gear presenters have enough charisma to make it interesting (or piss their colleague presenters off which makes it interesting ), they just don't have it, which ruins my global opinion about the show. They just have to stick to the reviews, and not waste money on the talking liaisons in between, cause they suck at it.

In short: the new review were a real improvement, but they just have to cut the '5th Gear office' scenes out of it to give me an overall good impression of the show.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #24
AI
Regular User

you see guys from where i sit here in israel that the taxes about car are almost 100% to the olriginal price so any cars they tested is like another wow i wish just closer it so far and about the show it better from top gear they there they talking a lot and sometimes take far amazing videos and test good car to limites but in fifth gear they test cars like no tomrrow far shoot outs and compit one on
and again with top gear sometimes i just to sleep!!!!!
AI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #25
CMonakar
Regular User

I like 5th gear, but I have a few complaints:
1. The recent Cayman and M6 reviews were completely completely worthless. Why was Tiff so obsessed with the damn M-button? Who cares?!!
2. Watching Tiff type the name and lap time of each car into the computer is an insulting waste of my time.
3. Tiff got a little too emotional when chasing Vicki down in the William's F1 car. Someone should have cut that during production.
4a. Every road test Vicki does is worthless. Maybe they can salvage all the 'work' she has completed by having her and Tiff test the same car so we can determine a handicap and apply it to all of her other lap times.
4b. They should fire Vicki after they are done with 4.
5. There is not enough interaction between the cast members. This is where I think they lose a lot of points to Top gear. Some of the best humor in Top gear comes from the cast members joking around with each other. Tiff and Plato seem to balance out well together (eg Viper v. Vette).
Old 12-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #26
Anonymous

I'll accept that trio if they ban Plato from any future auctions Really a waste of his talent. I think we all had concerns how 5th gear would manage to fill the new format and they just haven't and yet again Top Gear rasie the bar, it's mainstream entertainment now even non car people watch it and its the top rating show on the channel by a clear million lately. Really 5th gear has to much filler, when they are good they are VERY good, Tiff's 430 test for instance, good and different to Top Gear, Esprit feature, great but spoiled for a few quid and won't come back more like those please! less like the awful M5 test!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:22 PM   #27
martin100
Regular User

Like i´ve often said, i think 5th Gear is just poor. Everything they do is just a cheap copy of TG like the "studio" and the shootout time board. And the presenters could never possibly reach the perfect combination of JC, JM and Richard Hammond. The last 5th gear eps were so poor actualy (I had to struggle not to fall asleep during Bentleys "Crash tests") that i decided to only download single features if there are any good at all. TG is better then ever and BY FAR the best car show i´ve ever seen simply because it´s so different and filmed like a Hollywood movie
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #28
yg60m
Regular User

They should stay with 30 minutes but with better tests than what we had for the BMW M6 or the Cayman S ... Anyway there are good things in this show but it seems to go in the wrong direction
Old 12-10-2005, 03:11 AM   #29
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I think it's ironic how they're poking fun at Top Gear while they're imitating them. Since imitation is the best form of flattery, why the fuck do they even try to poke fun at TG? They must be jealous. I guess Clarkson is right for replacing Tiff with the Stig since they amount to the same thing. Is that Vicky bitch pregnant? :fist:
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:36 PM   #30
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
I think it's ironic how they're poking fun at Top Gear while they're imitating them. Since imitation is the best form of flattery, why the fuck do they even try to poke fun at TG? They must be jealous. I guess Clarkson is right for replacing Tiff with the Stig since they amount to the same thing. Is that Vicky bitch pregnant? :fist:
you do know thats pretty far from what happened... right?

Jeremy left TG, then TG was cancelled... then 5th gear was created, with Tiff as 'chief' editor.... then TG reappeared with Jeremey's new costom format... and the Stig came with that... Tiff was never part of the new TG... nor would he have.