Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Scale Models

Scale Models Discuss your model collections in here inc R/C models

Old 06-11-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
jon_s
Regular User

Default My Porsche GT3

Right, this is the first car I have made since I was about 9! EDIT**I was not 9 when I made this lol, think about it TT, was a 996 GT3 about when I was 9?? Or have I got a gift for car design pmsl** I enjoyed making it, even if it did not turn out toooooooo well. I learnt a lot, i.e don't be lazy, get the right sandpaper, I never got the deeper grooves out lol

I shall try and get more pics in better light.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

it seems already very nice jon!! When I was 9, I was never able to complete a car, not even the simplest ones, I'm sure!

BTW, why not to post your own collection topic with a huge load of pics?
Old 06-11-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
jon_s
Regular User

Collection of all my cars??

Sadly I don't have many, I have a 993 Turbo that had a bad enounter with the wall while falling off a shelf :cry: and the McLaren F1. That is it. I am going to get the Gallarado from Auto Art when it comes out...I love that car. Another model is in order though. I made a few mistakes with this one, mainly with painting, dusty, bad preporation, mucking a window up when sticking it in e.t.c I aim to make a MUCH better job of the next one.

You can see the window problem in the last pic.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
gis
Regular User

that looks very nice jon.

and the gallardo i only ever seen one by maisto i think it was as i think i told u via PM a while ago.but no luck with an autoart one yet for me either. :cry:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
666fast
Regular User

If you guys wanna whip out those credit cards, ewa.com has Auto Art Gallardos in black, orange, Silver and Yellow.
$59 for 1/18th and $29 for the 1/43rd.
The 1/43 only come in Orange and Yellow though.

I think you did a pretty good Jon. At least you did for it being your first in such a long time.
Did you use a primer? I can see some bubbles in the paint, I always used a primer. Makes the paint look very good. Just spray it on then wet sand it down (with very fine grit sandpaper) then paint. It comes out very nice afterwards.

This new section isn't going to make my wallet happy.
The hobby shop has this super awesome Tamiya Caterham that I want.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
TT
Regular User

This new section isn't going to make my wallet happy
What we were saying with Danny.. this section risks to cause us to buy more models quicker
Old 06-11-2004, 10:13 PM   #7
geekdiggy
Regular User

Default Re: My Porsche GT3

Originally Posted by jon_s
[
only suggestion: when painting a car, do it in a controlled environment, preferably one free of dust and lingering air particles that make the paint job lumpy

hard to hit in only three tries.
geekdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:22 AM   #8
666fast
Regular User

only suggestion: when painting a car, do it in a controlled environment, preferably one free of dust and lingering air particles that make the paint job lumpy
Thats why you use primer and make sure to wash the car before painting! LOL
I still think he did a good job.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:11 AM   #9
stracing
Regular User

can i be a bit ciritical

youre paitning the car too far away leaving an orange peel. its drying too quick before the paint has time to even out. it was lacquer you were using right.

you can get away without using primer. usually orange peel is hard to pick in photographs, but it came up here so it might of been pretty bad.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:05 AM   #10
jon_s
Regular User

This is a learning process, fire comments/critcisms at me.

The painting had some issues:
-Dust! I sprayed, then as soon as I had finished a layer, it was covered, but dust still got in!! What do you lot do?? Or do I have a really dusty house lol!

-Orange peel?? Please explain, I held the can around 30cm from the car while spraying. The only paint I used was the Tamyia body paint. I don't think it is lacquer...but I could be very wrong on that, as I say I am a complete novice. Making the GT3 was like the blind leading the blind lol but I had fun.

Hit me with any more tips. I will go and look at a Ferrari 360 next week then I will do a start to finish profile of the building. Then you can really tell me where I am going wrong!
Old 06-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #11
stracing
Regular User

grab an orange and have a look. is it all lumpy with small dimples?

when the painted surface looks like that descirption, it is called orange peel.

too bad i dumped all my practice models a while ago so i could take photos in detail, they had orange peel.

if you've used tamiya spray paints, then its lacquer. 30cm is too far. about 10cm-12cm. also at this distace, the pace of which you spray it should cover the length of the body in about 1 second. (assuming its a whole body and its 1:24 scale). too fast and you get no coverage, too slow and paint starts to run.

360 is good model to practice. i used to buy revell kits to practice because they were cheap and didn't mind screweing them up. i hate it when i stuff up a tamiya kit because they're so expensive.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:55 AM   #12
jon_s
Regular User

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! ORANGE PEEL!! I get it pmsl!

Yes, the GT3 is really bad in that respect. So let me get this right, the solution is:
1)Yes I am using Tamiya Spray paints.
2)Yes the scale is 1:24

So, this is what I do:
1) I use wet and dry sand paper to lightly score the body and get rid of any mould lines.
2)I wash the body with soap to get rid of the dust and everything else.
3)I hold the can 10-15cm away
4)Spay for the duration of 1sec per boady length. Now, do you just spray one length and then let it dry? and repeat? I would imagine that there would be quite a few layers doing it that way. I leave each layer to dry a couple of hours..is that ok?

Do you wet and dry between the layers?? I am scared of doing this incase it mucks it up!
Old 06-12-2004, 09:18 AM   #13
stracing
Regular User

whats pmsl? haha

you can still save the porsche by stripping the paint and start again. sanding and polishing isn't advisable on black paint. you'll leave swirl marks. thats the nature of black paint, it shits me when ppl tell me they want black on their car. it means i have to wait until everything else is perfect before painitng.

step 1: correct! you can start from medium grit to the finiest grit.
step 2: correct!
step 3: you must use primer now. since you've sanded the body, it may not be perfectly smooth, the primer will pick up these fine scratches left by sand paper. if there are scartches, sand it out with fine grits.

first heat up the paint, warm enough to hold. there's danger here, so beware. YOU MUST NOT LET IT TOO HOT OTHERWISE THE CAN WILL BLOW!

then paint it at about 25-30cm away until you get even coverage of the body. this is what they call mist coats. its no suppose to be shiny and all. about 5/6 layers

after that dries, spray it at about 10-15cm. this is called wet coats. about 3/4 layers is fine. leave this to dry for a few days so the paint has time to cure. the body should be shiny like glass and smooth.

step 4: you would be sparying across the body. now one spray isn't going to cover the body, so you spray until you cover the body. let it dry for about 30mins during the wet coats (about 15min for mist coats). then onto another layer. then when you finsh you leave for a few days. few hours isn't enough, it will be easy for finger prnts to be imprinted on the body.

i hope this helps, it confusing without pictures.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #14
jon_s
Regular User

No no, I now understand the 'wet' part. i read about but never understood what it was!

How do you prevent the dust from being a pain?
Old 06-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #15
stracing
Regular User

dust is hard to get rid of. luckily for me is i have a room just for building my kits. what i would do is close off windows and doors. leave it for a while until dust settles. then i would paint in there but of course i have a mask on.

or you can build a fully closed spray booth. and have gloves going into it, like those scientists use when handling dangerous chemicals.