Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 05-29-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Default Why Change F1. Look at it Now!

Well as it has been said for ages "Things never stay the same" and this point is being proven at the moment. BAR are flying! Schumi may leave soon and other teams are getting stronger. So why introduce all these new rules which are the same as going back to the stone age. Dont get me wrong I love H pattern but F1s are simply to fast, and it would be very dangerous with current speeds to drive with one hand 1/4 of the time.

Ferrari can not dominate all the time. The problem with a team that is not being challenged is that they dont have strong points to improve one while other teams know what to work on. When a team is so dominant they simply dont know what to improve on.

So the Ferrari domination will end because it has to. Things just work that way.

I agree on cutting down the costs but going to spec parts is just killing the sport.

You want to cut down costs? Leave the one engine rule. Restrict testing, make the drivers wages lower.

Another idea is to change the engine formula, but thats it. Going to a V12 sounds good, V8 is a tested old formula and we seen to much of that.

Whats your view on this? Should things stay as is.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
astonmartinandy
Regular User

I definitely agree with the point that Ferrari's domination will end soon enough, as has every F1 team's domination in the past and so the rules shouldn't be changed. I think the problem is the conflicting interests between appealing to the audience (making it more competitive and reducing one team's advantage), making the sport safer (taking out all the interesting corners; i.e. Monaco which detracts from the danger and lessens the appeal) etc..

In my opinion more driver skill should be brought into the equation with little or no electronic aids, but not to go back to H-gates, because of safety and also because F1 should be the pinnacle of technology, not forever being slowed down. Also I think testing and costs should be brought down to make the sport more accessible.

The point about the engines is interesting, I think team's should be given more freedom to choose the number of cylinders (with a constant capacity) to see how different team's come up with the different methods of extracting the most power.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
szumszer
Regular User

good topic, I agree with both opinions, F1 has been changing, always has always will, and ferrari will not dominate forever, ideally technology should not be restricted, but that is not possible, safety and durability should be strong priorities, cutting down the costs is important, but should not be a major factor that leads toward common component usage, there is plenty of money to be made in F1, if a team cannot stay competitive and afford to race, that is their problem, what do you want, other teams to subsidize their competition, as far as electronic aids are concerned (here is something I don't agree with), there ought to be no limits, as it represents progress in technology that is applicable and appeals to automotive industry, which happens to be a major contributor to the sport we all love, besides electronic aids do only so much, a driver must drive and win a race, put anyone not from F1 in a ferrari and they still would not beat schumi in a ferrari, anyone even from any other racing event, hell, put sato or klein in a ferrari and schumi would still beat them, only a few other drivers in a ferrari would be able to beat schumi at some point, perhaps JPM or kimi, may be button; if F1 gets same cars for next season, schumi would still be a favorite to win the championship; I feel driver electronically aids only enrich the sport and add flavor to its aura of pioneering in automotive technology
szumszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
hiroshima
Regular User

I am definitely against the rules that FIA is trying to implement in F1. F1 is and has always been the motor sport with the newest technologies so, the implementation of this new rules is like going back and somehow try to stop the evolution of car’s industry.

Ferrari’s domination is doing to end, no doubt about it. There are nowadays teams with enormous progress. For example, BAR Honda is progressing very very well.

FIA is, directly or not, destroying Formula1.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
kteo2003
Regular User

well i think that all of you guys are a little bit wrong...the problem with the domination of ferrari will continue because in ferrari they love what they do they don't just go only for the money(except for the drivers maybe)....ferrari will colapse not when scumi goes but when people like luca badhoer jean todt leave their posts...this people will continue to develop the car at the limits...for example as a structure the f2004 is let just say old fashioned but it is analised at the bottom and works fine..instead the williams fw26 is the most advanced car and not only for the nose but still it doesn't work...
kteo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:59 AM   #6
sads
Regular User

I dont agree with some of the rule changes indicates especialy the engine changes but, why should there be eras were certain teams dominate for years, wouldnt it be good if it was an all out dog fight between every team for the whole season (the last bit may be a bit of a dream), but rules are always changed too stop teams dominating and always will.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
astonmartinandy
Regular User

I agree with the point that there are a lot of people behind the scenes at Ferrari who play a major part in keeping Ferrari at the top, but I still think that after Schumacher leaves, people like Ross Brawn who have been working closely with Schumacher for many years will leave as well and go to a junior team.

After Schumi leaves, I think there will be another season where the car carries the team, but after that I will be interested to see how Barrichello does and who they will find to (try) and replace Schumacher.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote