Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 05-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #1
sameerrao
Regular User

Default Silly season rumours continue - Montoya and Mclaren

Montoya wants to cancel McLaren contract
Silly-season moves up a gear

The following is a quote from F1-live.com
Will Montoya move to McLaren in 2005?

Juan Pablo Montoya doesn't want to go to McLaren.

An unnamed F1 owner told The Telegraph on Saturday that BMW- Williams' driver is trying to cancel a contract to drive a silver car from 2005.

McLaren is struggling to hang-on to even the mid-field this season.

According to the British newspaper, 28-year-old Montoya's management are 'sounding out other teams' as the new silly-season shifts into first gear.

My take: I hope this doesn't happen for I want to see Raikonnen and Montoya fight it out.

Also Montoya if you make a bed you better sleep in it .... He committed too early to Mclaren. Ron Dennis won't let him go too easily....
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
Max Power

Montoya.....an idiot on the road, in public and now business
...who could have forseen this
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
he7lius
Regular User

I don't think this is very true cos Williams are not doing well this season also.
Both Williams were behind the Mclarens at Monaco, and Kimi was nearly out qualified Shumi.
Plus the Williams reliability is very famous either this season.(Brakes, gearbox, etc)
he7lius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
MB300E87
Regular User

Honestly i think had Kimi and DC been driving a better car (and DC not been hit of course) they would have done A LOT better than they have this season. kimi was doing really well until he had to retire out. i would assume montoya would see that McLaren is still a good team. they just have their problems this year. but a good driver, and i'm sure he thinks hes great, can do great things with a reliable car. reliability is all montoya needs from mclaren.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
gucom
Regular User

McLarens main problem is Mercedes and their crappy engines. They should take last year's engine and put on sum kind of rev limiter, that way it should hopefully last thru the weekend, and get a better pace
Old 05-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
gucom
Regular User

1 feature of Ferrari u r now forgettign to mention is LOADS AND LOADS AND MORE LOADS of money, which is something schumi (and ofcourse evry1) likes very much
but ofcourse u r right that schumi joined a team that was total crap at the time, and he built it up to be the absolute top for 4 years in a row.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #7
stracing
Regular User

hopefully he will goto mclaren and this is just all rumours. it will definietely prove if he has the skills to be a great driver. it would be good to see if he can replicate what schumacher has done at ferrari.

thats why i reckon shcumacher deserves all the success, he's worked hard to get ferrari in current situation. and it was similar situation when he was at benetton.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:37 AM   #8
Braden Head
Regular User

I reckon Montoya should stick with McLaren. There is a bad slump in performance now but this is a mighty team and there is no one more capable of producing a winning car than McLaren. This low patch should push them to make a strong car next year. Montoya will bring the best out of the best machinery.
Braden Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:52 AM   #9
Sm@ck
Regular User

German papers, report that Hakinnen is in talks with BMW for test driving in 2004, and a possible drivers seat in 2005...
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:03 AM   #10
yg60m
Regular User

I think it's BS, there are lot of rumours, i read that Hakinnnen said he will take an important place in McLaren management, that Raikonnen could leave McLaren for BAR or Williams and Button leave BAR for Williams ... This is F1 ... :roll:
Old 05-26-2004, 09:32 AM   #11
ngudan
Regular User

I think for most people, putting yourself into Montoya's position, you would probably feel his decision. He looks like a man that likes winning... alot. Since the 2004 season aint fantastic for the Mclaren team, its only natural doubt will arise. Anywho, an early committment gone wrong.. picky picky picky!

Btw, i heard some rumours about Mark Webber driving for Williams next year. Anyone heard of this as well?

D.K.D.N
ngudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #12
yg60m
Regular User

Btw, i heard some rumours about Mark Webber driving for Williams next year. Anyone heard of this as well?
Yes i read that to but it he is lied to Briatore which seems to have other projects for him so ... I think (and hope) that there are strong chances to see Villeneuve in a Williams next year.
Franck Williams said (in french please !!) that he has lot of consideration for Jacques and that he's in competition with other talented drivers for a place in Williams next year.
Also, the replacement of Patrick Head as Head director can change lot of things ...
Old 05-26-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sm@ck
German papers, report that Hakinnen is in talks with BMW for test driving in 2004, and a possible drivers seat in 2005...
I would have thought Mercedes would have been more likely here based on Hakkinen's past relationship...
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #14
Sm@ck
Regular User

I would have thought Mercedes would have been more likely here based on Hakkinen's past relationship...[/quote]

First of all his is rumour, and no papers have ben signed yet.

What we do know is:

Mclaren: have signed Raikonnen, and Montoya for next year. So no space for Mika.

Mika does have an advertising/ambassador agreement with MErcedes (which first ends this year)

Now Williams needs 2 drivers. For next year. Ralf is most likely to go, becuase he will get more cash from Toyota (and trust me RAlf needs all the cash he can get, poor soul married a gold digger)...

Frank Williams wants the best drivers he can get. Villeneuve is fast, and so is Hakinnen. Both have F1 expierence which can only be topped by Schumacher, one brings the drive, and the other brings the popularity + "good boy" image (this might be a pre-requisit from BMW´s point of view). Anyway at least for 1 year they could try this setup.
In 2006 Button will return to BMW Willliams.
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #15
Caps8419
Regular User

yea i agree MAxpower... montoya is a joke.... i read a rumour that when MS retires ferraris gonna try and get kimi... they might even trade ross brawn for kimi..... man that must suck for barrichello..... i'd feel like crap if they never asked me if i were the number 2 man... but i guess hes not THAT good....

Officially, Catholicism is Italy's official religion; but any true Italian will tell you Ferrari first, soccer second.....
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Montoya should race bumper karts and not F1 race cars!
Caps8419 is offline   Reply With Quote