Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
fordgt84
Regular User

Default GM performance crate engines shootout

they basically take some of the GM bad boy engines, put em in a testosterone filled Chevelle, and went out to find out which engine will lay down the best quarter mile time. (it's a pdf file btw)

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...917_eprint.pdf
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

That test/showdown simply goes to validate just how good the LS7 is - stout, high revving hard cahrging torque monster.

Sure, there are bigger badder more ballsy dyno motors in the GM lineup, but the LS7 just delivers on the day and at the wheels
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
79TA
Regular User

I remember reading this article when it came out. I'd say it really highlighted the importance of weight savings up front too. The biggest problem with the LS7 is that it's downright tame, boring, and way too livable at idle, especially with butterfly valves shut . . . luckily that can be fixed with a nice camshaft if you don't mind making 100+ more horsepower.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
fordgt84
Regular User

at the moment i'm a really big fan of the LS9, I would have really liked to see it on this test...i guess the closest thing to it in terms of hp was the LSX 454... shame they didn't have enough time to set the car up properly.
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
zacknolden
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
I remember reading this article when it came out. I'd say it really highlighted the importance of weight savings up front too. The biggest problem with the LS7 performance parts is that it's downright tame, boring, and way too livable at idle, especially with butterfly valves shut . . . luckily that can be fixed with a nice camshaft if you don't mind making 100+ more horsepower.
That is a great point, I also want to see the LS9, I am an avid fan for this one can't with to see it.
zacknolden is offline   Reply With Quote