Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 05-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #196
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by 04RCSTI View Post
Ironman - 8/10

Awesome movie, but the plot was pushed a little fast, just a little though. Great effects, cool house, cool cars....now that I think of it it was just a ton of eye candy linked together by a semi-coherent plot. Great superhero movie. Definitely worth your time, unless youre like...important or something..like a...like a CEO of some big fancy company who has no time even for his unconditionally loving family and on his death bed realizes he regrets his entire life...I guess even in that case youre better off seeing it...or you will regret it.
I liked Superman Returns best.... but yeah, Iron Man was great fun

I think they are going to ruin it with the "Avengers" .... what made this movie work is there isn't a slew of super-villans. Great CGI on the Suite, great 90% of the movie.... I just didn't like the final battle between Stark and Jebadia (or whatever his name was) it was far too cliche having the bad guy start talking about his hate, and his superiority over Iron man...
Old 05-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #197
mayer
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
I liked Superman Returns best.... but yeah, Iron Man was great fun

I think they are going to ruin it with the "Avengers" .... what made this movie work is there isn't a slew of super-villans. Great CGI on the Suite, great 90% of the movie.... I just didn't like the final battle between Stark and Jebadia (or whatever his name was) it was far too cliche having the bad guy start talking about his hate, and his superiority over Iron man...
That final fight was definitely the biggest let down of the movie for me. I didn't find it interesting at all, nor did it have me at the edge of seat so to speak. It was pretty boring and like you said, a bunch of, "yadda yadda yadda".

I saw Narnia yesterday. I didn't see the first movie so I didn't fully understand the story. After all the hype I've heard, I found the movie pretty "meh". While there, I saw that there's going to be a Mummy 3. Except this time it's going to be the Chinese version with Jet Li as the bad dude:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0859163/
mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #198
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Iron Man 9/10
Best Marvel movie yet. Acting was spot on, and it was still less corny than any of their other movies. The final battle was a bit anti-climactic, but it wasn't bad. And the secret post-credit ending was a good laugh. Silly fun summer blockbuster (especially for gadget geeks) with a decent plot and fantastic acting.

Elf 2/10
Terrible. I don't care for Will Farrell. It was awkward and uncomfortable the entire time.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #199
mayer
Regular User

Indiana Jones...Crystal Skull. It was a good movie, nice mix of action and humor, and a cool old character besides Indy. There were some parts that were just a little too goofy (like someone swinging like Tarzan...), but I guess outrageous antics are part of the franchise. Also, some of the fake CGI animals were funny, but cheesy at the same time. 8.5/10.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #200
Vansquish
Regular User

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...Terrible...would strongly recommend against going to watch it in a theater and suggest that if you want to watch it that you wait and rent it. The plot is rather poor at best and the primary plot device (Crystal Skull) is terrible, as it doesn't really make much sense. The usage of Oscar-nominated and Oscar-winning cast members is marginal at best. Cate Blanchett plays a role that could've been carried out by an acting nobody. In an attempt to make things believable based on the time-period, George Lucas tried to fit as many 1950's stereotypical items into the movie as possible. I tried to go into the movie with low expectations but to say that it's a combination of "Indiana Jones" and "Contact" would be more or less accurate...I would not go see it again. This is just another example of Lucas ruining a perfectly good series... 4/10

Iron Man... Probably not the best movie I've ever seen, but I liked it at least as well as Transformers, and that's saying something reasonably positive. It's good fun, quite amusing, very tongue-in-cheek and despite the fact that there's about 1/2 hour of nothing but robot-building, it's pretty well done as well. The final fight scene could've been a little more impressive, but it ain't exactly bad either (unlike the video game). 8.5/10

Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian... Definitely better than the first movie, it's a bit darker in some ways than the first movie, but not quite as dark in others. The dialogue is pretty good and gives a good sense of adventure and the fantastic. I'd give it an 8/10

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #201
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

American Drug War: The Last White Hope, <- a must see
and Event Horizon, a should avoid..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #202
Sulian
Regular User

Default Latest films

The Forbidden Kingdom (Jet Li & Jackie Chan) - 10/10 One of the best Kung Fu movies I've seen, awesome fight scenes without 'wire work' overkill, plot was pretty terrible but I didn't expect much as that’s not what the movies about really. Jackie Chan as always brings some humour into the mix. If you like Li & Chan this is a must watch.

War Inc - 9/10 Good satire set in the near future when American forces occupy a foreign country but this time the invasion is run a bit like a hostile takeover in business. John Cusack plays the same sort of character as he did in Grosse Point Blank and Joan Cusack is very funny, shame she doesn't have a bigger part. If you don't mind a film that takes a light hearted poke at US culture then it's definitely worth the watch.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #203
philip
Regular User

Talking Sex in the City

Sex in the City. Weddings, babies plus Male/female nudity will get your date worked up. Its all about the clothes.

Last edited by philip; 06-10-2008 at 12:08 AM.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #204
Feffman
Regular User

Just saw the new Indiana Jones movie over the weekend. Sort of Indy meets, The Mummy II, meets Close Encounters of The Third Kind. Sadly, IMHO, not that great and not worth the hype.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Feffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #205
philip
Regular User

Originally Posted by Feffman View Post
Just saw the new Indiana Jones movie over the weekend. Sort of Indy meets, The Mummy II, meets Close Encounters of The Third Kind. Sadly, IMHO, not that great and not worth the hype.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Ending seemed right out of Xfiles the movie.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #206
nthfinity
Regular User

Saw the Incredible Hulk
7/10

Action moved the plot along more then dialog, and the action was well done... far superior to the first Hulk movie.

The Hulk origin was changed between this movie, and the last one quite significantly... more to move in line with Marvel as a universe, rather then a stand alone movie... not necessarily a good move IMO.... but we'll see in the 2+ years later Avengers movie (or might they be aiming at next summer???) But yes, there is that tie in; and its done well enough.

Liv Tyler really sucks as an actress IMO, and this movie is no exception.
Edward Norton does ok.... but again... the movie is progressed by the action.

the nemesis is done far better then it was in Iron Man as far as the final fight scene.

Avengers ~
Hulk, Iron Man, Nick Fury, Captain America (enough of a reference to him in Hulk) ..... I'm suspecting that we'll see Thor and Namor... bah....

All the while, they are going to be making split off movies from the X-Men... wonder what is in store next for the Fantastic Four.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #207
HeilSvenska
Regular User

^Galactus!!!

I had this talk with my friends an hour ago. We were talking about how Thor should be a story about a mad man with a huge hammer and the suit who doesn't know if he's really Thor or not.

Namor, the movie? I don't think anyone knows Namor enough to make it work, although... they are making Antman the movie...
Old 06-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #208
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
^Galactus!!!
Galactus was the evil cosmic cloud in FF2.....

I had this talk with my friends an hour ago. We were talking about how Thor should be a story about a mad man with a huge hammer and the suit who doesn't know if he's really Thor or not.
LMAO,l I really like that idea!

Namor, the movie? I don't think anyone knows Namor enough to make it work, although... they are making Antman the movie...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436803/
So much for that

Antman.... the least cool superhero that for a while in the mid 90's was an addition to the Reed Richard-less FF
Old 06-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #209
mayer
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Galactus was the evil cosmic cloud in FF2.....
nth, I read that they're going into more details about the Surfer and Galactus from the past. Galactus may be shown in his comic form, and it was hinted at it if you look close enough at the final scene. The real Galactus may have been inside that cloud, and did not die at the end.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ctus_Cloud.jpg

I saw The Happening and Zohan last night. Both movies had their moments from being gross to funny, but they're were pretty bad. The Happening had a horrible ending, and everything you read about plant life killing people is true. There was no twist, and there was no tension to the movie. It was blah throughout much of the movie. Zohan went on a little too long. It was decent the first quarter, then the laughter took a cliff dive. 6.5/10 for both.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #210
79rivers
Regular User

Chunking Express! I loved that movie. Such a wonderful atmosphere. Have you seen any of the director's other movies? My Blueberry Nights was just playing here in Japan a few months ago. Not as good, but still his trademark atmosphere is strong.
79rivers is offline   Reply With Quote