Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Default PS3 gets force feedback, back.

Just a matter of time, money and lawyers.

ENGADGET
Alright, so just days after trashing rumble as a "last generation feature," it appears that Sony cut a deal with Immersion (AKA the company which owns the patents on force-feed back stuff for controllers) paving the way for them to potentially add this "last generation feature" to their next generation console. Looks like Sony more or less caved here. They're paying Immersion the full sum awarded to them by a Federal District Cour, plus interest, and the two companies have agreed to enter into a "a new business agreement to explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in PlayStation® format products." So when do we finally see rumble in the PS3?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/02/s...ng-to-the-ps3/
Full article - http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070301/sfth075.html?.v=79
Old 03-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

In celebration I am going to buy a second PS3 and another G25
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Haven't you heard though? Sony Execs are saying that YOU WON'T find one anywhere?!?! They are selling so hot.

Yeah, it is good that they finally put it back in. But now, what about early adopters? Those guys get screwed? But I don't think the spinning/rumble device itself is in the early controllers.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the original PS3 controllers already had the spinning weight mechanisms allowing the rumble effect. A simple firmware upgrade would enable them.

Sony has been #1 in consoles to know better than to not implement force feedback. They must be laughing at everyone who still bought the PS3 even with out it..
Old 03-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
harryo2b
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
I wouldn't be surprised if all of the original PS3 controllers already had the spinning weight mechanisms allowing the rumble effect. A simple firmware upgrade would enable them.
Or most likely not. The PS3 controllers are insanely light compared to the PS2 feedback controllers.

2006 Porsche Boxster S/Atlas Grey Metallic/Black/Black/6 spd
Canon 30D/17-85 IS/70-200 4L IS/580EXII/430EX/B+W Filters
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
ae86_16v
Regular User

Actually I think I remember seeing it opened up and there weren't any Rumble packs in there.

Let me see if I could find a picture.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Rumble schmumble... the wheel is all I really care about
Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I wonder if they will package dual shock controllers with new versions of the PS3.. just another reason why you should wait to buy a video game console..

I'll probably pick one up once GT comes out in the next 2381031348340e3013 years.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

I replaced the single XBox and single PS2 controller with 2 each of the Logitech wireless units anyway - so will do the same with the PS3.

Man it feels good to be a Sony Fan Boy
Old 03-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Can someone say STAN????

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47923

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070301/sfth075.html?.v=79

"We are pleased to have put this litigation behind us," said Immersion CEO Victor Viegas. "Our new business agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming community. We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Haven't you heard though? Sony Execs are saying that YOU WON'T find one anywhere?!?! They are selling so hot.

Yeah, it is good that they finally put it back in. But now, what about early adopters? Those guys get screwed? But I don't think the spinning/rumble device itself is in the early controllers.
Also I dont htink Sony would screw their users like how M$ would. I think there will probably be a trade in program.

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex

Sony has been #1 in consoles to know better than to not implement force feedback. They must be laughing at everyone who still bought the PS3 even with out it..
Nope they dont have them. I have seen people open up the controllers to do the middle LED mod and they didnt see any of them rumble rotors.

I replaced the single XBox and single PS2 controller with 2 each of the Logitech wireless units anyway - so will do the same with the PS3.

Man it feels good to be a Sony Fan Boy
Old 03-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
ae86_16v
Regular User

^^^ No way!!! You better call up CEO of Sony NA because he said something to the effect that he would give anybody $200 if they could find a PS3 in any store!!!

Hahaha. . . yeah they are selling so hot that Sony doesn't expect them to be "in stock" and caught up with DEMAND until Summer this year.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

Well - the real reason they wouldn't sell, was the stupid stores that insisted on BUNDLING the console with $300 and $400 worth of games.

Thats what killed early sales.

Now there is a shortage of 20GB systems... I know - I have been trying to find one for a week or 2.

60GB systems up the wazooo.. and now that a number of stores are unbundling them, guess what - they find out that people bought a Wii and an old PS2

Stupid marketing people - I hate marketing people with a passion
Old 03-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
ae86_16v
Regular User

Yeah definitely, I mean dropping close to $1000 for a gaming system isn't something that you could decided lightly. Well at least for me anyways because I am poor. Thus in my case, there was no decision to be made. . . I can't afford one.

My friend picked up a Wii and he loves it. Plus for $300 and change, not too bad.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
^^^ No way!!! You better call up CEO of Sony NA because he said something to the effect that he would give anybody $200 if they could find a PS3 in any store!!!

Hahaha. . . yeah they are selling so hot that Sony doesn't expect them to be "in stock" and caught up with DEMAND until Summer this year.
Actually I think he said $1200 USD. I read it in the magzine which I just threw out yesterday.

Well - the real reason they wouldn't sell, was the stupid stores that insisted on BUNDLING the console with $300 and $400 worth of games.
That was one of the reasons why but another thing was after about 2 weeks of the PS3 being released all the fucking bastards retailers were holding them and trying to sell a whole lot at once rather then just sell the fucking things bastards ass people.

*EDIT*

So what does everyone think about the fate of the Playstation 3 now since Sony got FF back? I think the only hinderance now is the fucking lazy bastard game developers such as EA and Ubisoft and THQ who release multiplatform games and make them ALL look basicly identical and hardly any change in gameplay.