Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 11-25-2003, 03:17 PM   #31
Wide
Regular User

Processor: Dual Intel® Xeon Processors 3.2GHz (533MHz FSB/ 1MB cache) (+ GBP £1,480)
That must be included if u want performance..
Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:22 PM   #32
maalox
Regular User

Originally Posted by Wide
Processor: Dual Intel® Xeon Processors 3.2GHz (533MHz FSB/ 1MB cache) (+ GBP £1,480)
That must be included if u want performance..
Indeed . It is the ultimate for desktop crunching, although some might say it was a bit overkill. Still, it fits in the provided requirements .
maalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:24 PM   #33
SilverandColdS4
Regular User

BTW dont get Dell they monopolize the parts. So if something breaks you have to get them from DEll and they mark up the price 3 times. Plus They have horrible customer service.
SilverandColdS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:28 PM   #34
maalox
Regular User

Originally Posted by SilverandColdS4
BTW dont get Dell they monopolize the parts. So if something breaks you have to get them from DEll and they mark up the price 3 times. Plus They have horrible customer service.
Partly true, but not if you bought a workstation from them. It comes with professional care since it's supposed to be used in like mission critical data analysis etc. (like 5th/Top Gear!!!). As for the parts, if you mean that they are proprietary, that would be for their OEM level like value systems. The workstations are all regular full size boards with thumbscrews etc for easy expansion.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:34 PM   #35
SilverandColdS4
Regular User

I just hate dealing with Dell i have one and I will never get one again. I hate the company. They dont care about the customers enough. Im just telling you about my experiences and others i have read about.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #36
maalox
Regular User

Originally Posted by SilverandColdS4
I just hate dealing with Dell i have one and I will never get one again. I hate the company. They dont care about the customers enough. Im just telling you about my experiences and others i have read about.

Yeah for sure, I know where you're coming from. Especially after the whole outsourcing to India for tech support (although thankfully not for their premium customers). Remarkably my brother's had pretty good luck with them--his drive broke and a new one arrived the next day for his laptop. However, apparently they're bringing customer service back to America after all the complaints haha.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:49 PM   #37
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Jabba dont you want to build your own system? Thats what I would do. You can build an overkill system for much less money compared to alienware etc...
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:52 PM   #38
SilverandColdS4
Regular User

Ya defiantly building your own is sweet. I agree. Im glad they are moving tech support back to america. Thats one step forward. Well maybe your setup is a good idea afterall.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:37 PM   #39
DeMoN
Regular User

www.alienware.com have some pretty nice already built computers, they are expensive though but if you want to build your own, you can create a copy of it or go to www.anandtech.com and/or tomshardware and/or www.cnet.com to see the top lcd's etc...

wish I had more time, but I really have to sleep (stayed up all night typing essay). Last time I did this, i slept 18hours, lesse if I can beat that.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:01 PM   #40
dis3as3d
Regular User

Vapochill cases are way overkill...
Old 11-25-2003, 06:16 PM   #41
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Jabba dont you want to build your own system? Thats what I would do. You can build an overkill system for much less money compared to alienware etc...
Yes thats exactly correct.... self build machines have always run allot better for me than name PC's and I think building it yourself is half the fun...especially cutting your hands to pieces and blood pouring out everywhere as your working inside the case.....still at least you really get to know your machine this way.... 8) 8) 8)
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:34 PM   #42
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Yes thats exactly correct.... self build machines have always run allot better for me than name PC's and I think building it yourself is half the fun...especially cutting your hands to pieces and blood pouring out everywhere as your working inside the case.....still at least you really get to know your machine this way.... 8) 8) 8)
Cool. I'll be making a list of sweet parts this friday.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:14 PM   #43
666fast
Regular User

Does it have to be a PC or would you be willing to use a Apple?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:16 PM   #44
Jabba
Regular User

Nope I am a PC man sorry....Apple isnt very big here in the UK either.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:32 PM   #45
AlienDB7
Regular User

My experience with dell isn't that good either... their p4's always feel so sluggish. The fans are relatively quiet though.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote