Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Anonymous

Default Wimbledon 2005

Well the time has is nearly here for us to see how far Henman gets before he most probably agonizingly goes out

How do you reckon he'll do this year, and more importantly who are you tipping for success this year?

My bet Henman will loose in quarters, and Federer to win. Though i'd like to see Rafael Nadal do well too
Old 06-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

Henman sadly although on top since quite a while, always miss something when really needed. IMO he won't reach the 1/4.

Nadal isn't really a grass player, but he is in a damn nice shape and hyped, so he could do well.

Of course I am cheer Federer and he could easily win this year too. But Wimbledon always sees some surprises.

I'd like to see Philipoussis doing a nice come back, but he isn't very well lately.

Anyway, in the current field of players, nobody can come close to Federer as for variety and style. Wimbledon 2005 must go to him once more
Old 06-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
No.1
Regular User

Well, i love Wimbledon.

The Henman-Hype is so annoying, i dislike the man with a passion. The commentators (on the BBC) are so biased towards him, and don't give the rest of the players their own share of praise. Henman is, unfortunately, over the (Henamn-) Hill. He plays a good game, but can't make it stick to get to the final and win.

My tip has to be Nadal... he's proven his strength on clay, now he needs a grass title. Federer is just awesome, though, so he needs to continue on form.

For the ladies... Sharapova has to be a good bet. Let's hope she can forget about the media and concentrate on winning. It was amazing for her to win at such a young age (i'm only just 17 now!) and she seems to have tried to avoid the advertisment offers for the meantime.

BTW - I might be down in Wimbledon next weekend... get some tickets for the outer courts and enjoy the atmosphere. Nothing is confirmed yet, but it's something to look forward to if it happens
Old 06-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
Anonymous

ooops what a sexist i am, i forgot about the ladies! ops: anyway i don't know a great deal about the players, other than that sharapova is hot
Old 06-18-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
TT
Regular User

LOL, indeed I rarely focus that much on the women tournament usually. Of course when we had Martin Hingis it was a different matter, but now that we are left with Patty Schnieder (wich is not really as good as Martina was), I kinda lost interest. As a little boy when Steffi Graaf and Martina Navratilova were still in the game, it was marvellous, but since the Williams sisters, Linsday Davenport and all the other giant females stormed in, it became "different". Luckily the new waves from the east and from Belgium (Henin), are again bringing to us some ladies and not tanks

Sharapova has to be a good bet. Let's hope she can forget about the media and concentrate on winning
Let's hope she can forget her panties
Old 06-18-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

I only watch womens tennis, rarely watch mens tennis, is too boring.

Besides that, I think Hemann makes a good chance if he playes a constant game.

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
Ghostbat
Regular User

My bet would be Federer without a doubt. I seriously doubt that Nadal will have a chance to win this. When was tha last time a spaniard won a tournament on another surface than clay? I'm not really sure what shape Safin is in but when he plays at his beast he can surely beat Federer wich he showed in Australia.

A dark horse could be Montoya

In the womens tournament my guess would be some of the Belgian girls. Both Clijsters and Henin-Herdenne (sorry if I misspelled their names) have made remarkable comebacks and really put the pressure back on the Americans and Russians. For the moment I don't think any of the russians play att their peak and that's not good enough. Would be cool If Sharapova won again but I doubt it.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

^^^^^ Thank god somebody noticed

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #9
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
LOL, indeed I rarely focus that much on the women tournament usually. Of course when we had Martin Hingis it was a different matter, but now that we are left with Patty Schnieder (wich is not really as good as Martina was), I kinda lost interest. As a little boy when Steffi Graaf and Martina Navratilova were still in the game, it was marvellous, but since the Williams sisters, Linsday Davenport and all the other giant females stormed in, it became "different". Luckily the new waves from the east and from Belgium (Henin), are again bringing to us some ladies and not tanks

Sharapova has to be a good bet. Let's hope she can forget about the media and concentrate on winning
Let's hope she can forget her panties
That's the sort of thing she will have to worry about with all the paparazzi and their massive zoom lenses

The "tank" generation as you call it has been a massive force. Henin has had a few to many problems with her game

The other Tennis pin-up is Hantuchova, but i don't know whether she is competing or not

Talking of tennis a few years back, Sampras and Agassi were my favourite to watch. Going even further back, Nastase was a great player, and i love watchin him in the Charity matches, the old people are so funny.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
TT
Regular User

Oh well yes, if we want to go on with the memories, Sampras was really gifted, but a pity he arrived a bit too late and missed some of the greatest wich stopped playing right before he made his first steps in the ATP tournaments. For sure some of the matches with Agassi were great.

My memories go back to McEnroe, Lendl, Edberg and Becker.. those were some wicked players but retired players always look much better than present ones. Maybe because you tend to only remember their good moments.

Anyway, I am happy to see we have other tennis fans and I look forward to have some discussions about the upcoming matches. I hope eurosport will do a good coverage as always
Old 06-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #11
Ghostbat
Regular User

Anyway, I am happy to see we have other tennis fans and I look forward to have some discussions about the upcoming matches. I hope eurosport will do a good coverage as always
I live in Sweden and Eurosport never shows Wimbledon here. For some reason it's the only Grand Slam Tournament they don't show. Pretty strange IMO..
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #12
Anonymous

Incidentely this is what BBC's coverage could look like soon, i'm stunned by the difference of hi def, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4087442.stm even though my laptop doesn't make full use of it. From what i've heard it will be even better quality than the US equivilant. As always we are late though
Old 06-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #13
dingo
Regular User

GO HEWITT!! I think Lleyton is a good chance, if his fiance (the lovely Bec Cartwright ) and her upcoming child birth don't distract him too much.

However it seems that Federer is still the one to beat, though thats not really a bad thing as he seems like a nice guy and is tennis is good to watch.

Unfortunately over here the matches are shown in the middle of the night so I don't watch too many of them, but when it gets to the quarter-finals and further I make some exceptions.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:05 PM   #14
TT
Regular User

Ok, indeed Eurosport France isn't covering Wimbledon luckily a couple of Swiss channel do

Federer won smoothly today good start :good:
Old 06-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #15
mk2 fan
Regular User

carrying on with the henman theme, i think he is shite, They call him Britains # 1... and we all know thats because there is only 1 of them lol

Roddick / fedderer to win

and sharapova for the women :roll: