Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-31-2003, 06:20 AM   #76
stracing
Regular User

wouldn't it be lovely if the car market is predominantly RHD? then i may get the chance to actually see an enzo on the roads of sydney
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:55 PM   #77
PATo355
Regular User

That sucks , but is not illegal to drive a LHD car in UK ? Ithink it must be pretty difficult to get used to it .

I think converting an Enzo to RHD must be hugely expensive

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:03 PM   #78
TT
Regular User

but is not illegal to drive a LHD car in UK ?
I don't think it exists a country where it is illegal to drive a car with the wheel "on the wrong side"...
Old 10-31-2003, 07:54 PM   #79
stracing
Regular User

in some countries a conversion must be made
like the corvettes over here, they aren't sold here but if imported, they must.

but i know europe and largely in asia, left or right doesn't matter
Old 10-31-2003, 07:58 PM   #80
TT
Regular User

Coo, I wasn't aware of that.. I wonder why.. basically it's not really a problem... well it can be an hassle in car parks or McDrive and every other place where you need to be on the correct side of the car but strange there is a law about that...
Old 10-31-2003, 08:15 PM   #81
stracing
Regular User

yea i don't see a problem with it either. altho military vehicles and registered rally cars are LHD
you study law right? if you look at our law, its pretty shit. its so messed up.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:20 PM   #82
TT
Regular User

HAHAHAA! In effect from our point of view the English law is pretty "messy" (different is the right term though ).. and I suppose in Australia the law is based on the English one, isn't it? So basically no big codes in the background, trying to describe everything?
Old 11-01-2003, 02:00 AM   #83
cho_888
Regular User

the rule in Austrlia is that any car pre 1997 can be on the road without a conversion thats why the enzo cant be seen on our roads. Our laws were influenced by the english, however there are some differences that make Australia better and worse.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:45 AM   #84
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
HAHAHAA! In effect from our point of view the English law is pretty "messy" (different is the right term though ).. and I suppose in Australia the law is based on the English one, isn't it? So basically no big codes in the background, trying to describe everything?

lol, english law is a bit messy, but it does work. Although we have two different systems running (which can at times be bloody confusing!).....Common Law and Equity. In the event of a conflict between the two Equity prevails. In pratice, it makes little difference, but there are ways it can be exploited! Also our law is getting even worse with our slow intergration with the EU.

On the issue of LHD cars, in England there are no problems. Do you know what the law would say about a car like the Mclaren?? i.e in the middle??
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:09 AM   #85
stradale
Regular User

I know very little about English law, as I remember it Common Law is law by rulings of the courts, right? Is Equity the laws and regulations that have been issued by the government?

Implementing EU legislation in national laws can be a problem. I guess it's even harder with a system like you have in the UK. Most of the other European countries have laws based on Roman and French law, so the EU legislation is probably better suited to that.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:06 AM   #86
jon_s
Regular User

The relationship between EU law and UK law is getting better. Our courts go out of their way to avoid any conflict. The was an issue a while ago, in which an Act was made which directly (and intentionally) conflicted with EU law. Put simply, it tried to stop Spanish fishermen from living/fishing in our waters, as they were fishing in massive boats, and took a large bulk of our fishing quota. Anyway, this went through the courts, and was eventually was overturned as it was against the EU legislation of freedom of movement.

The 1998 Human Rights Act, is quite interesting, as there is a clause in it which states that all new Acts must be made in light of the HRA, so it is very, if not impossible to get round it (not that we would want to!). Slowly out law is comming in line with the EU.

As for Equity, the courts can enforce equity. It has distinctive remedies: Injunctions/ Specific Performance/ Rescission and retification!! The most obvious is the injunction. If you ever hear of an injunction it was enforced through equity. The main aim of equity is to fill in the gaps of common law. The best way of showing this is through an example:

Imagine that during WWI you had a house and a child (Tom), but no wife. Then you were called up to go and fight. So you left your house in Trust to your best mate Ben. unfortunately, you die, but it does not matter (lol) as you know that Tom will get the house. This is where Common Law and Equity differ....In common Law, you have given the LEGAL title to Ben, as a result he can do what he wants with the house. He does not even has to give it to Tom!! That is the Common Law stance........Equity is different, in this situation, Ben still has the legal rights, but Ben has the Equitable rights. This means that Ben has to pass the House onto Tom. So you can see where there is a difference! In this situation, equity prevails over common law and Ben gets the house basically!! (p.s this is a really basic example, and it gets a lot more complex lol!)

Hope that clears it up a bit! If you have any more questions send me a PM and I will gladly answer them for you, as I don't want to take over this thread!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:04 AM   #87
stradale
Regular User

It is still confusing. It's so fundamentally different from our legal system. I hadn't even heard of Equity before. I looked up some things about it and together with your explanation it made it a bit more clear. But I'll leave English law to the experts!
Also legal English is not my strong point. Chatting like this it's alright, but most legal terms I don't know. It's a shame the university hasn't got it in the curriculum.

I still have a question about Equity. I'll send you a PM then.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:06 AM   #88
cho_888
Regular User

Jabba how much does the converstion cost? this why we cant have enzos on our roads cause nobody is game to do teh enzo. Nobody is game, has the money are the equipment! Thats one gay law!
Old 11-14-2003, 08:54 AM   #89
ducati998
Regular User

really late in piece here guys but you could have told that that wasn't jabba's car i the photo cos it is in australia. note the two holden commodores in the back ground, one with the distinct tiger orange. unless of course jabba shipped it over here for a little while and managed to crash on our american roads!
ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:07 AM   #90
adlinyusman
Regular User

Yeah in malaysia you can drive left hand drive cars (but you need a sticker to warn someone in the back that you're driving a left hand drive car.) I have a picture i'd like to upload of a Malaysian Enzo..but i don't know how to.

adlinyusman is offline   Reply With Quote