Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #31
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by No.1
Again - external desing bugs (scratching/wear and tear) should all have been tested during the R&D process - otherwise R&D isn't complete, and the product has just been rushed out to market.

Keep costs down for who? Jobs, or the consumer?
I am curious what solid object doesnt ever scratch or experience wear & tear?

It is every for profit org to minimize cost & maximum profit. If they dont do so shareholders will sue their ass offf/
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #32
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
this thread is useless unless you can superpi it below one minute for teh 4 m calculation
Thats true so we gotta look just wait till some lucky bastard gets his or her hands on it. Maybe in a few months we might seea 4m calc on it.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #33
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer
this thread is useless unless you can superpi it below one minute for teh 4 m calculation
Thats true so we gotta look just wait till some lucky bastard gets his or her hands on it. Maybe in a few months we might seea 4m calc on it.
and by then, we'll have PC's doing 4M's in under one minute w/out overclocking...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #34
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by No.1
I see all the reasons - but they don't signify progress to me.

Macs are for sophistcated people, so why would a new case confuse? Or are they all, in fact, yuppies with an idealistic view that they are the person who has to own a mac? That it was designed for somebody so aware as them.
Trust me, sophisticated people arent as wonderful as they're cracked up to be. There are a lot of posers who buy Macs for the perceived lifestyle. I even used to date one who had an irrational dislike for PCs and was more Mac mad than most people I know.

It's like how some Ferrari owners are incompetent drivers and slices up their Enzo in half cause they think they're Schumi.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #35
Pimp Racer
Regular User

and by then, we'll have PC's doing 4M's in under one minute w/out overclocking...
Thats another true statement but think about this. Technology is improving so fast that this will be a thing of the past in just a few months. As Elen said they are coming out with the 8 processors Xeon in Jan and then by christmas next year who knows they probably habe 16 processors! Its just a matter of time. This thing will be news of the past just like Core 2. No offense to anyone that owns one and what not. Also just like the AMD Fx's and so one.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #36
evoWalo
Regular User

Most people who dislike Macs or OS X dont like em cause they cant play games or use AutoCA/3D Max Viz as a native app. There are ways around this like BootCamp, WINE, VMWare & Parallels Desktop.

Linux is all nice & dandy but what native desktop commercial apps are out there?

No point in me going to the WWDC seeming I'm not a developer. I'd stick for the keynote and look around but that's that.

The current iMac can be upgraded pretty easily. CPU's not soldiered on so you can pop out Yonah and plug in Merom. Memory goes up to 2GB. HDD's a 3.5" SATA. Optical drive's a slot loading type. Only thing you'll have difficulty in is the logic board & GPU.

Serious gamers dont buy Macs. They buy Alienware.

Macs have all the modern ports you'd need these days so no more use for the daughter boards.

Ah I get ya now. Well its a very nice choice. Shit price wise its unbeatable but unlike most of the members here I like Apple products but I dont like their software though. Never know that new OSX might be nice but I wont get my hopes up. I rather just put Linux on it. BTW you went to the conference or something? I had plans on looking for a live feed but just didnt have the time today.

Some say Mac software is made for dumbass so to keep shit straight and simple they dont change the casing or else it might confuse hardcore mac users. Also I have had hands on experience with a Imac and they are badass but I just dont see why! I mean upgrading that would be near impossible or just hard. It does however save room.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #37
evoWalo
Regular User

Thats another true statement but think about this. Technology is improving so fast that this will be a thing of the past in just a few months. As Elen said they are coming out with the 8 processors Xeon in Jan and then by christmas next year who knows they probably habe 16 processors! Its just a matter of time. This thing will be news of the past just like Core 2. No offense to anyone that owns one and what not. Also just like the AMD Fx's and so one.
With Apple using Intel chips superpi-ing will be at the same pace at PCs but then again you have a wider choice of mainboards to choose from.

Processors are different from cores.

AMD's are has-beens. They should try to hire better engineers than Intel.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #38
nthfinity
Regular User

serious gamers build thier own PC's; and continusously upgrade them.... even at the 250 person lans, i've yet to see an Alienware PC
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #39
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by ellen feiss
Most people who dislike Macs or OS X dont like em cause they cant play games or use AutoCA/3D Max Viz as a native app. There are ways around this like BootCamp, WINE, VMWare & Parallels Desktop.

Linux is all nice & dandy but what native desktop commercial apps are out there?

No point in me going to the WWDC seeming I'm not a developer. I'd stick for the keynote and look around but that's that.

The current iMac can be upgraded pretty easily. CPU's not soldiered on so you can pop out Yonah and plug in Merom. Memory goes up to 2GB. HDD's a 3.5" SATA. Optical drive's a slot loading type. Only thing you'll have difficulty in is the logic board & GPU.

Macs have all the modern ports you'd need these days so no more use for the daughter boards.
I really dont play games at all on the computer so I dont mind. Is upgrading the Imac really that easy? I never really knew I mean I thought it might be hard as hell and shit must be compact and remove one screw and the shit falls apart! Its a nice little concept. Nice price but would sell like hell if it were 100 - 200 bucks cheaper.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #40
Pimp Racer
Regular User

serious gamers build thier own PC's; and continusously upgrade them.... even at the 250 person lans, i've yet to see an Alienware PC
Thats so true. Everytime I see some gaming event on the web or tv and they show who's playing what you can usually see what system they are playing on and all the time its a custom made PC!

Alienware are for rich white boys that are wanna be gamers.

No offense to any white people.

*EDIT*
Sorry for the double post I thought I hit the damn edit button. ops:
Old 08-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #41
evoWalo
Regular User

touche
Old 08-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #42
evoWalo
Regular User

I've seen an iMac take apart picture set done by some mad Japanese fellow last January/Febuary. You could also download the Intel iMac service manual off the web allowing you to take it apart. I got the service manual for my MBP if i decide to reapply thermal greese on the CPU. I hear it contributes to 2-3 degrees more heat but I think it isnt worth doing it.

It's a little known fact about the Intel iMacs that they're using mobile CPUs. Specifically Yonah (Core Duo) thus making it more expensive than regular desktop chips. That's why the Intel iMacs gets so much praise for being energy efficient compared to standard desktops.

Once the Intel Imac w/ Conroe comes out then I expect cheaper prices or substantially better performance at the same price. The Mac Mini's CPU isn't soldiered on either. I recall seeing an engineering sample of Merom being poped into a Mac Mini a few months ago and OS X didnt identify it as a "Core 2 Duo".

As I see it Apple will mirror their upgrade timetable close to Intel's release. So all there product line will only sport the latest & greatest from Intel. The bad thing about this philosophy is that you wont be able to get Macs at lower prices because they're using older chips.

Then again Apple more sales of their Macs may change this, just look at the iPod as an example. iPods used to cater to the high-end of the MP3 market and now service from the $99 bottom end to the $599 top end.
I really dont play games at all on the computer so I dont mind. Is upgrading the Imac really that easy? I never really knew I mean I thought it might be hard as hell and shit must be compact and remove one screw and the shit falls apart! Its a nice little concept. Nice price but would sell like hell if it were 100 - 200 bucks cheaper.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #43
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Dude make sure you put thermal grease makes a lot of difference like 10 - 15 or even more! all are farehient.

Anyways that Imac wasnt mine its another one of my relatives. The same one that has a G4 titianium I piss him off when I start talking about macs vs linux and what not.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #44
evoWalo
Regular User

According to reports AApple placed too much thermal greese on the MBP's CPU. I dont want to void zee warranty. Maybe after when I feel the itch or remember.

The upgradeability of iMacs that i mentioned is only valid with the Intel Core Duo models. THe G5, G4 & G3 are practically TVs.

With respect to SDMFLEX the TiBooks were a big big boo boo. THat's why Apple ditched the design within a year.

Dude make sure you put thermal grease makes a lot of difference like 10 - 15 or even more! all are farehient.

Anyways that Imac wasnt mine its another one of my relatives. The same one that has a G4 titianium I piss him off when I start talking about macs vs linux and what not.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #45
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Too much grease? That much suck. Also I just remembered that his was a Power PC too not an Intel. He got a 20inch version for like 1300 so he just bought it.