Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
ferrari550
Regular User

Default Transfer files to new laptop??

I was wondering if anyone knew how to transfer files from my computer to a new laptop. I have about 50gigs or so i would like to have on it, mostly top gear videos. Is there an easy way to do this?

thanks in advance
Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
styla21
Regular User

I ended up transferring all my stuff recently on a 2gb USB flash stick.. And copy-pasting back and forward, many, many times. (*insert swearing here!)

Day after said transferring, I discovered the joys of the external hard drive. The transferring process would have taken a fraction of the time if I had used this instead. Definately check out this possibility if you can!

..Or just spend half your Sunday, as did I, with the humble USB flash stick doing it old-school
Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Ghostbat
Regular User

If you don't have LAN an external Hardrive would propably be the easisest way.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
pilotvtm
Regular User

You can Transfer:
1. Trough LAN
2. Trough Bluetooth
3. With DVD/RW's or with a stick
4. With an external HDD
5. You HDD from laptop is probably on SATA.You can put it on you PC and copy the movies.

pilotvtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
ferrari550
Regular User

Ok thanks for your input, I think the way out for me is getting a external harddrive. Very much appreciated
Old 02-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
ae86_16v
Regular User

What kind of laptop is it? Yeah if it is Windows then either do an external or burn DVDs.

If it is a Mac you can turn one of the Macs into a "Target Disk" mode machine and basically turn it into an external drive. That way you can drag and drop. But you need a Firewire cable though.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

50GB is a decent amount of data. Get a network hub, or better yet wireless router to get the most out of your laptop at home. Then look up creating shared folders for access between the computers.

It's always nice to have an external hard drive for back ups, but if you do not want to spend the money for another drive you can just get an external USB case for your old computer's hard drive, then connect that to your new laptop.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

And next year this time all you will need to do is burn 1 double layer Blu-Ray disc

If you cant wait till prices drop, Panasonic already has a $500 double layer BD burner

All Hail Sony!
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
gigdy
Regular User

Ethernet Crossover cable just plug them into each other. On my laptop it automatically detects whether it needs a crossover or not so i could use a normal Ethernet cable. You may be able to too.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
ferrari550
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v View Post
What kind of laptop is it? Yeah if it is Windows then either do an external or burn DVDs.
It is a HP laptop, 250gig, 2gig ddr2 of ram, 15.4", intel core 2 duo. basic laptop, but compared to my old one it is light years ahead.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
ferrari550
Regular User

Originally Posted by gigdy View Post
Ethernet Crossover cable just plug them into each other. On my laptop it automatically detects whether it needs a crossover or not so i could use a normal Ethernet cable. You may be able to too.

I have never heard of this before. How exactly would i do this? i have a few ethernet cables lying around or do they have to be crossover cables?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
gigdy
Regular User

http://www.razertech.com/edge/hardwa.../crossover.htm

Go there for the network settings you will need. There is a chance you may not need a crossover cable, you can always try wont hurt anything. If you cant get it to work you can get crossovers at best buy or most local stores.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
ferrari550
Regular User

So i am guessing crossover cables are not the same as your regular ethernet cord? Also, i have a router, any way i can transfer the files over that?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
gigdy
Regular User

Originally Posted by ferrari550 View Post
So i am guessing crossover cables are not the same as your regular ethernet cord? Also, i have a router, any way i can transfer the files over that?
Well a router is probably the easiest way then. Hook them both up to it and make sure they are both part of the same workgroup and then share the drive on the laptop you want to copy everything to. Then view workgroup computers under my network places. there may be more to change but id give that a whirl first.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #15
ferrari550
Regular User

Originally Posted by gigdy View Post
Well a router is probably the easiest way then. Hook them both up to it and make sure they are both part of the same workgroup and then share the drive on the laptop you want to copy everything to. Then view workgroup computers under my network places. there may be more to change but id give that a whirl first.
Ok i agree with that. My router is downstairs and my desktop and laptop are upstairs next to each other. This may be asking a lot but, can you tell me how to hook them both up the the router and workgroup. I find it confusinf since my old pc is XP and my new one is VISTA?