Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #31
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
Its different this time around and I bet they will both do just fine, I guess the real winner will be the first to offer a cheap mutil format machine.

I remember the "war" between dvd-r and dvd +r I think they are both still around right ?
I was talking to a electronics buddy of mine, and he concur with you, that he would not be surprise to see both format still be around 5 years from now.

LG and Samsung already have committed to making Dual Format drives/players. But how expensive will it be?

Well in terms of cheap machine it looks like HD has the lead on that right now. But we will see when Sony & Company gets a handle on production problems with the blue laser.

I am waiting for a Chinese Branded Blu-Ray player for $50 American . (Just kidding, I will probably end up buying a PS3 in a few months.)
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:30 AM   #32
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Man I might be young, but I still remeber betamax, video cd (vynil video, quality was amazing), and tons of the other formats...

Its not that bad these days.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #33
Max Power

Its different this time around and I bet they will both do just fine, I guess the real winner will be the first to offer a cheap mutil format machine.
don't count on it

http://digital50.com/news/items/BW/2...ue-player.html

saw this on another forum

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill (blu-ray) - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the (hd-dvd) red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
I know what you're thinking:

Why didn't I take the BLUE pill.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #34
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Right, much like the Blu-Ray Java Script problem on some disc and some players no being able to support it. I am sure that won't be a problem when the generation 2 player comes out :roll: .

Something that has to do w/ BD-J: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/409

And again, you are pointing out just because Sony say we will have 6 Million PS3s by March, that automatically means that Blu-Ray will win and that will be the de facto DVD player.

Show me how that is true again? How many people bought a PS2 because it played DVDs? How amny people bought a PS1 because it played CDs? How many people use it as their only entertainment system?

I still think the standard that will achieve majority will be the one that will introduce at a price point where middle class be able to afford it as a luxury item. Probably around the $200-$300 mark. Just as it happened with DVDs before.

All these companies are labeling their systems as an "All in One". Just like the PS3 is labeled as a "All in One" entertainment system. Has any of that worked? Has Window's Media PC worked? Has OS X's Frontrow worked? Did the Playstation 2 worked in that regard?

The answer is no, not yet. There hasn't been any system yet, that will satisfy the demand for everything. And I doubt the PS3 will fill that niche either. But again we will see.

Personally, I don't really care which one wins. I would prefer Blu-Ray because it offers more storage, but in the end, the determinating factor will be price. I just want one of them to be cheap, around $200 - $300. We will probably hit that price point next year.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #35
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by Max Power
don't count on it

http://digital50.com/news/items/BW/2...ue-player.html

saw this on another forum

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill (blu-ray) - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the (hd-dvd) red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
I know what you're thinking:

Why didn't I take the BLUE pill.

That kind of sucks. I don't know if you guys have seen it, but the menu system on HD DVD is actually pretty slick.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #36
RC45
Regular User

I think the number of folks who use the "fancy features" will be few and far between..

You rent a movie, put it in the drive - make popcorn, open a soad and hit play.

Rinse and repeat for the next movie.

All we want is kick ass picture and awesome sound.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #37
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I think the number of folks who use the "fancy features" will be few and far between..

Yea, well, screw the folks! I always watch all the extra stuff and play with the features. One of the coolest is InfiniFilm.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #38
RC45
Regular User

Yeah - we wathc the features, but only every now and again, and really - taking an hour movie and turnign it into a 4 hour review ordeal kinda removes what little fun is left
Old 01-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #39
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast

Yea, well, screw the folks! I always watch all the extra stuff and play with the features. One of the coolest is InfiniFilm.
Yeah that depends on the person too. I never watch the specials. . . but my brother will watch the specials and the movie over and over again. Talk about getting your money's worth .
Old 01-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #40
exhausted mules
Regular User

shows how much you know the general consumer market.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 AM   #41
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by exhausted mules

You rent a movie, put it in the drive - make popcorn, open a soda and hit play.

shows how much you know the general consumer market.
OK - wise me up.

How many people do you personally know that watch every feature on every DVD they rent?

Lets hear it...
Old 01-08-2007, 02:40 AM   #42
Max Power

who rents...

its dl/burn or maybe buy....no one is buying dvds since they know they'll be obsolete whenever this HD shit is over...

and I've watched all the sw bonus shit...bonus features are big...at least the SW documentary 8)
Old 01-08-2007, 02:44 AM   #43
RC45
Regular User

who rents...

its dl/burn or maybe buy....no one is buying dvds since they know they'll be obsolete whenever this HD shit is over...

and I've watched all the sw bonus shit...bonus features are big...at least the SW documentary 8)
So you are watching on the PC then, and using the "DVD Rom" features.

I am done with the gadget shit... video toaster is all we need

Rent - watch - return.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:50 AM   #44
Max Power

what do u mean by gadget shit?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:05 AM   #45
RC45
Regular User

what do u mean by gadget shit?
COnfigure this, upgrade that, download the one, unpack the other, re-image the next etc etc etc

I am tired of that - been doing it for 15 years and its a pain in the arse now.

I just wanna plug n play man