Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 03-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #16
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by rob_e1
1zippo1 - Yes, gearbox can break if abused. My car has 73,000 hard driven miles. No poblems with the 'box. If you drive it like an open gate ferr/lambo etc and take your time with shifts you'll have no problem. Drive it like a rental and you can do some damage. Its on its design limits with 295 lb/ft of torque, however that said i know a couple of guys who've run higher boost /450bhp and more with the standard box and had no issues.
interesting... allways nice to learn something more first hand about a car like this one. 450 hp in a car as light as an Esprit, that must pack an awesome punch. I'm really looking forward to the successor of this car.

EDIT: Jabba, let's hope the next Esprit will be even a bit better and if they get it right, meaning that they'll make it more reliable... that would make an nice addition to the cars you own don't you think
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #17
rob_e1
Regular User

Originally Posted by gis
welcome to jabbasworld and very nice car.you have some nice mods on there aswell.any idea on the power now?
Probably not that much more than stock. I'd guess the filters and exhaust would add maybe 5-10bhp? I have some cat bypass pipes to go on at some point that should make it spool a bit quicker (and spit flames probably too!).

The V8 runs very low boost in stock form. A 'race' ecu with higher boost would give about 440bhp or so but i would not want to go that route without intercooling (none of the v8's had intercoolers) or maybe water injection. TBH the car is fast enough as it is.. better brakes have made more difference to the drive than a power increase.

cheers
Rob
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:11 PM   #18
Jabba
Regular User

What is the turbo boost like when it kicks in Rob on the V8 and is it still at around 3K ?

I could never understand how the performance figures were still similar to the old 4 pot though considering it has twin turbos and a bloody great V8...yes I know there is a slight improvement in the top end....but still....
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #19
rob_e1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
What is the turbo boost like when it kicks in Rob on the V8 and is it still at around 3K ?

I could never understand how the performance figures were still similar to the old 4 pot though considering it has twin turbos and a bloody great V8...yes I know there is a slight improvement in the top end....but still....
Not driven an SE (260 hp?) my GT3 had 240bhp. Biggest difference between that and the v8 is torque and lag. The v8 has huge torque compared to the 4 and no lag. In my GT3 off boost it was pretty useless, you'd sit there waiting for 3k+. The V8 is fast whatever gear you're in.

On a twisty road a v8 would not lose a well driven SE (remember the v8 only has +80bhp and is a little heavier than the 4). Difference is thought that the SE driver would be having to work a lot harder to keep the pace up. The V8 you can drive much more on the torque, plus react quicker to gaps in traffic or overtaking opportunities.
Open road (e.g. motorway abroad) a 4 cylinder would be blown away over 100+ mph. The v8 is simply awesome. Friend of mine had a 360 modena which was very similar performance - he had more at the top end (high revs) but the lotus had more lower down. That guy now has 550 maranello which IS quicker than the esprit once its moving
Old 03-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #20
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by rob_e1
Originally Posted by Jabba

Not driven an SE (260 hp?) my GT3 had 240bhp. Biggest difference between that and the v8 is torque and lag. The v8 has huge torque compared to the 4 and no lag. In my GT3 off boost it was pretty useless, you'd sit there waiting for 3k+. The V8 is fast whatever gear you're in.

On a twisty road a v8 would not lose a well driven SE (remember the v8 only has +80bhp and is a little heavier than the 4). Difference is thought that the SE driver would be having to work a lot harder to keep the pace up. The V8 you can drive much more on the torque, plus react quicker to gaps in traffic or overtaking opportunities.
Open road (e.g. motorway abroad) a 4 cylinder would be blown away over 100+ mph. The v8 is simply awesome. Friend of mine had a 360 modena which was very similar performance - he had more at the top end (high revs) but the lotus had more lower down. That guy now has 550 maranello which IS quicker than the esprit once its moving
Ahhhh...just as I thought.....and I always thought that poor old 4 pot was very overworked....staggering performance for such a small engine..I also remember it being quite good on fuel as well and I used it as a daily driver going everywhere for around 4 years.

Damn I would love to see a video of it up against a 360....but I would imagine it to be exactly as you describe....think of the difference in price though...I would also say the Esprit has the better driving position...its definitely more Diablo than Ferrari...it reminds me of it in so many ways...

May I ask what dealers you use...

I used to use London Lotus Centre ...that I can tell you a few horror stories about..got my first Esprit N/A from there....

Then Norfolk Motor Company...not sure if there still in business or not...got my Turbo SE and Elan SE from there

Also had some minor dealings with Nelmes in Romford...

Sold my SE to Kent Sport Cars....sadly....
Old 03-15-2004, 02:40 PM   #21
Erdmann
Regular User

Nice friends, but why should a 4 cylinder-engine be blown away at more than 100 mph??? I think there are enough examples that show that a 4-cylinder can go probarly go 230-250 km/h. Or did misunderstand you?
Erdmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:45 PM   #22
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Erdmann
Nice friends, but why should a 4 cylinder-engine be blown away at more than 100 mph??? I think there are enough examples that show that a 4-cylinder can go probarly go 230-250 km/h. Or did misunderstand you?
hehe, I think you're missing the point a bit

I wish my German was better, but I'm not gonna try it. My German writing skills are horrible.

What's he's saying is that the V8 Esprit can accelerate much faster above 100mph then the 4 cilinder SE...
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #23
Jabba
Regular User

I am sure that would make sense...and remember in the Clarkson drag race video it only just got beat by a 993 turbo...and they are not exactly slow....
Old 03-15-2004, 02:51 PM   #24
TT
Regular User

Hell how slow I am today?

The Esprit was always a marvellous car IMO, since the Mk I!

And the V8 GT is for sure a great one! And fast!

Is it your only car that you use also as a daily drive or do you have something more.. civilized?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #25
rob_e1
Regular User

TT - i ran my GT3 esprit as my only car (12 months) then ran the v8 for a further 2 years as my only means of transport. Running costs were pretty high but depreciation is the killer. My v8 has a pretty high mileage, and i didn't want to totally destroy its value - hence I have a Golf GTI now for commuting purposes

Erdmann - 1zippo1 is correct. The SE will probably do 160mph or so flat out but the real difference is in acceleration. The v8 would accelerate much better over 100mph :shock:

Jabba - i use Nick Whale Sportscars in Birmingham. Not cheap, but they know Esprits. Regarding fuel - i got about 21mpg out of the GT3, the V8 is about the same on a long run. Give it some stick though and you'll drop that right down

Not sure how the 993TT performs but i guess very similar to the Esprit. My car will (allegedly) do 0-100 in about 9.5 or so.

R
Old 03-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #26
stradale
Regular User

Wow, marvellous car, Rob! I'll join the guys that like to see more of it. The wheels are great, OZ really makes the best looking rims. Nice to learn something about Esprits as well.

Jabba, your Esprit and Elan also look wonderful. I knew you had an Esprit, but had never seen pics of it before.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:07 PM   #27
Erdmann
Regular User

hehe, I think you're missing the point a bit

I wish my German was better, but I'm not gonna try it. My German writing skills are horrible.

What's he's saying is that the V8 Esprit can accelerate much faster above 100mph then the 4 cilinder SE...
Ah, thanks. Than I missunderstood him. Now I got the point, but you see like your german my english is not the best.
Erdmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:45 PM   #28
novass
Regular User

Very nice Lotus Rob! Ive always been a big fan of the Esprit. I dled the 2 vids and the car sounds great too. Welcome to JW!

@Jabba-I think thats the first time ive seen a pic of your Lotus. Its a beauty!

BTW-anyone know how much the 3.5 liter V8 in the Esprit weighs and where I could possibly find one? Do they sell it as a crate engine anywhere. Doesnt have to be a Lotus(though that would be nice), but if anyone has any info on small displacement V8s let me know. I would love to get my hands on one of those engines.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:35 AM   #29
adlinyusman
Regular User

nice car, it's sad that the esprit has shipped it's last production car a month ago. Can't wait for the new esprit.

When i was younger i watched the movie, "If looks could kill," which was a teenage movie about a kid who wanted to be james bond, he drove the esprit in the movie and i've been lusting after one ever since. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find one over here. How much is the value of a used '94 and above (the turbo not the N/A). 30k quid?

adlinyusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:39 AM   #30
novass
Regular User

Originally Posted by adlinyusman
When i was younger i watched the movie, "If looks could kill"

LOL I remember that movie with Richard Grieco. That was on the other day. Between that and Bond ive always wanted a Lotus. If only the missles, guns, etc really came with the car. Even if they dont, I still want one.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote