Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #151
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Anything RWD with a manual transmission and limited slip for $3k or less.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #152
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Well, this may be it..

I want to get some thoughts on it from the JW crew <puts on my flame suit>

Needs body work, but wont be dont for another year if I get it

Nice rims, which I WONT be getting with the car

Gutted interior, which I was already planning on doing anyway..

So the story is...

A kid who works at this trusted shop wants to sell it. I had a quick (bout 1 minute) test drive, which it failed cause the clutch slipped while I tried to make a quick 180 u-turn.

I'm going to have the owner of the shop go over it and if he tells me it will last a 6,000 mile trip cross country and back, I'll most likely buy it for $1,000 with a new clutch.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #153
ARMAN
Regular User

for 1000$ not bad... but i thought you was looking for a car in better condition thou.

Body work and paint are the most expensive things to do on the car everything else you just exchange for a few peanuts.
if the car was abused and lousely fixed i'd stay away from it as you will need to change alot. well looking at the interior(and exterior) I'd say it was abused

I'd personally keep looking for a better piece, there are incredible deals out there you just need to find them

Better take a little loan maybe from family members and buy a car a little bit more expensive but in good mantained condition cars that was not seviced good can eat you up alive on the repairs 8)

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #154
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Well what I forgot to mention was that the owner of the shop knows Nissans like the back of his hands.. He used to race a tube chassis Sentra, and has a Datsun B210 Honey Bee waiting to be rebuilt.

If I buy this car for $1,000, which is more than it's worth, I will have a place to get it inspected and repaired at the shop with ease. Not to mention I am helping out the young kid I will be buying it from.

I don't mind the work on the exterior and interior of the car, I could care less about the paint and body as I will probably smash it up anyways.

I trust the owner of the shop enough to tell me whether or not the car will last a round cross country trip.. so we'll see.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #155
ARMAN
Regular User

oh thats cool that you have a pro by your side
for me those nissans are a great alternative to e30 of rwd car for fun for a couple of bucks these days(we dont have AE yodas here)

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #156
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Yeah, compared to a BMW, this Nissan will definitely be cheaper for me in the long run, especially when working on upgrading the supension and brakes.

The 2.4L KA has 150,000MILES on the clock. I hope to get atleast another 15 to 20,000 out of it, which gives me enough time to save up and locate a LS1 V8 to swap in next summer..
Old 07-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #157
graywolf624
Regular User

I dunno.... For a little more money you can get something much nicer... For that money you could probably get something nicer.. It looks like the car was abused.

For reference point I paid 2500 for the 300zx turbo.. and I didnt negotiate. Not that the 300zx is the best car in the world.. But Id much rather have one of them. Keep looking.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #158
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

as far as $1000 cars go.. this idea sounds great! i say go for it

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #159
gangajas
Regular User

It doesn't look well
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #160
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
I dunno.... For a little more money you can get something much nicer... For that money you could probably get something nicer.. It looks like the car was abused.

For reference point I paid 2500 for the 300zx turbo.. and I didnt negotiate. Not that the 300zx is the best car in the world.. But Id much rather have one of them. Keep looking.
I've been thinking that exact same thing. I found 240sx's in much nicer condition for a few hundred dollars more.

It's definitely not worth $1000 for sure, but I'd only want it if it checks out alright with the shop owner and with a new clutch (preferably stage 2+).

And I was planning on gutting the interior anyways. It's going to be my first project car that I will eventually upgrade everything leaving the bodywork and cosmetics last.
dutchmasterflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:25 AM   #161
SilviaEvo
Regular User

lol wow im in the same boat as you i have like 3000 dollars saved up and im lookin at 240's and Preludes and Integras. but if the check goes fine it should be ok cuz its a truck motor which people have beaten the hell out of before swapping it.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #162
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Well, talked to the owner of the shop and here's the low down.

The 240sx has been through the hands of 3 kids who work at the shop. It is currently in the hands of one kid who has a tall pile of tires that he is slowly going through a few days at a time. Basically, its a burnout machine.

The owner of the shop has made it a point that he would not do any upgrades to the car, and only maintenance. (No need for bad publicity) He did mention he would do an overall safety check if I plan on going cross country with the thing.

The engine is still pretty solid, its a daily driver at the moment.

With all that said, it would not be a good candidate for a project car, dumping money into it.

But I am still contemplating on having my own burnout machine for the rest of the summer months
Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #163
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

It's official. I am going to join the E30 bandwagon here on JW.

Yesterday I mailed out the deposit for a black 1987 325is. BMW race mechanic says it's in great condition with no rust and a strong motor. Has an upgraded suspension, Bilstein shocks and H & R springs as well as a Borla exhaust. Owner says he will throw in a new racing seat and spare wheels along with the sale.

Sucks that I don't even have photos of the car, but this is a very trusted friend of mine who found it. He makes a living out of building BMW track cars, so I can only believe everything he says.

Should be picking her up before the end of November
Old 10-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #164
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Anything RWD with a manual transmission and limited slip for $3k or less.
simple. There are plenty of second and third gen F-bodies (Camaros and Firebirds) that fit that bill. Third gens are currently all over the junkyards and are ridiculously cheap. There's a reason they're cheap but they do have potential. They won't always be unloved like they are now. Anyway, if that's all you're looking for, there are more than enough F-bodies (and probably mustangs too) that will meet those requirements.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #165
pagani
Regular User

How about opel manta 1500 euro's pretty cheap and front engined and rwd
And some more examples fo the same car
http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php?...%26fta_ind%3D3

http://auto.marktplaats.nl/opel/1189...%3D&fta_ind=17

This would a cool project car

http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php?...26fta_ind%3D18
8)
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote