Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
nthfinity
Regular User

Such fire power used being used to take out huge animals, and now they just blow human beings with it straight to piece. I have seen a video of a US sniper operating in Iraq before, he beheads his insurgents with one single shot.
i think that video was in afganistan....

the ripple/shock from the 50 cal. round wizzing by at even a foot away will rip you apart.

the energy exterted by this gun/rounds is nuts
Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
gucom
Regular User

hmmm given that the barrett is in use with most special forces units in the (western?) world, i'd rather have that than a hungarian rifle i've never heard of tbh... btw that XM109 sounds like its 1 nasty rifle to be on the receiving end of...

also, what kind of animals do u wanna kill with a .50 rifle? whales?? cos i dont think it'd leave that much left of a bear either...
Old 08-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #18
PaulGT2164
Regular User

http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles/rifles_82A1.htm

you know its a badass gun when arnold in cali bans them from his state

if the terminator himself is scared of it, it must be awesome lol

http://www.50caliberterror.com/index2.html

there is a local gun shop with one on display.

i think the usual asking price for a new one is somwhere between 4-8 grand depending on the model/make.

i want one.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #19
harryo2b
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom
hmmm given that the barrett is in use with most special forces units in the (western?) world, i'd rather have that than a hungarian rifle i've never heard of tbh... btw that XM109 sounds like its 1 nasty rifle to be on the receiving end of...

also, what kind of animals do u wanna kill with a .50 rifle? whales?? cos i dont think it'd leave that much left of a bear either...
Well there is definately some "huge" game hunting going on with this but the key note is the ability to take a target out from a very long range away, 1+ miles when that pea shooter just won't make the cut.

Biggest use for .50 is sport shooting at extreme ranges. Barrett puts out their own magazine which really reveals a lot about the whole .50 scene. These are amazing "tools" and have helped save lives and scare the shit out of the ememy

Closest thing I came to owning a .50 was a Desert Eagle it was a cheap way into getting into big caliber toys.

2006 Porsche Boxster S/Atlas Grey Metallic/Black/Black/6 spd
Canon 30D/17-85 IS/70-200 4L IS/580EXII/430EX/B+W Filters
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #20
StanAE86
Regular User

I don't know much about weapons, the only one I carry is the one in my pants Okay seriously, enough talk about my pea shooter.

With bullets like this one, if a body shot, does it just go straight through the victim, leaving the possibility of survival? I'm assuming the snipers all go for the heatshot?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #21
gucom
Regular User

well the vid i've seen (was in afghanistan) and that was also talked about, shows bodies just being totally ripped apart, kinda like putting a firecracker in a banana... so no it's not absolutely necessary to go for a headshot with this rifle. Also at longer distances i dont know if it's accurate enough, despite having an amazing range it's not the most accurate sniper rifle in the world (beacuse it's semi-auto)
Old 08-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #22
StanAE86
Regular User

I think I remember seeing the video you're talking about, I might have even posted it originally. I don't remember the specs, but it was a sniper video. There was some debate over whether it was actual compat footage versus someone sniping an animal or something.

Now that I think about it, I think the beginning of this video said it was an explosive round...I guess that really would ruin your day.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #23
gucom
Regular User

lol its no use getting a nice hairdo when uve pissed off a sniper carrying thst thing indeed
Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #24
c0wb0y007
Regular User

lol its no use getting a nice hairdo when uve pissed off a sniper carrying thst thing indeed
LoL, I agree No use of carrying a kevlar vest nor helmet as well.

The video I have seen was shot in Iraq, I'm 100% sure of that. It was made by some French journalists who were following some young insurgents. They were trying to take a US sniper out who was positioned in an hotel. They tried to take him out with a rocket launcher but instead of that he got his head blown to pieces. It was incredible what fire power this sniper had his hands on.
And I have even seen another video, it was some live footage made at the beginning of the Golf war. The sniper was shooting at some Iraqi's who were hiding in a small bunker in the middle of the desert. This sniper reported that he had been shooting straight through the walls and doors and that he hadn't seen any movement ever since

They even use bullets which got enhanced with uranium and they don't stop for anything.
I don't know whether they mention that in the video. Personally, I think there is a big chance that these .50 bullets are reinforced with uranium because they have to be able to penetrate through light armoured vehicles.

Cheers
And I watch 'em roll away again
Sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time

http://www.emotionworkshop.org
http://www.stunningnikon.com/
http://www.nikon.co.uk
http://www.sportsshooter.com
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/
c0wb0y007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #25
TeflonTron
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by TeflonTron
The US doesn't need to worry about its enemies getting hold of Barretts, as the Hungarian Gepard is also available, and that is more powerful and more accurate, not to mention that there is also a 14.5mm version that is twice as powerful as the Barrett.
Of course they don't... and of course they will.. and of course it is...

:roll:

We all know the US sucks at anything it does, makes or tries...

we all know the enemies of the US are stronger, better and smarter...

...but do we really need you to remind everyone everyday?

You really are a world-class turd. Frodefe asked the question about what the US and her allies will do if/when the "badguys" get hold of these, and I simply answered that there are easier ways of getting a rifle that is as powerful, more accurate and is designed in an Eastern-Bloc country. Which do you think are more likely to fall into enemy hands: an American gun or a rifle of a country that shared its military arsenal/designs with Russia, which is a country well-known for stockpiles of its guns just walking out the door? This have nothing to do with the US, so don't try and turn it into that with your same old crap.

Harry: that is all well and good, but the Barrett XM109 in 25mm makes less power than the Gepard 14.5mm round. The new Barrett is basically using a grenade (the destructive power of the round comes from it being explosive, not because it's a bullet in the traditional sense).

For everyone's information, the video that purports to be a Barrett shooting Taliban snipers is fake. It's actually Rock Chucks being shot with a .17HMR.

Don't believe everything that you read on the Internet.
TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:53 PM   #26
gigdy
Regular User

Ive got the full segment from the show if someone wants to host.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #27
ZfrkS62
Regular User

despite having an amazing range it's not the most accurate sniper rifle in the world (beacuse it's semi-auto)
Snipers going after single targets aren't going to use it's semi auto capabilities.

The semi auto part somes in handy when taking out a personnel carrier or when scattering a small patrol into large red mists Besides, .50 cal @ 2700fps just needs to rustle your ear hairs before the shockwave coming off it ruptures your ear drum :prr: hit in the leg, and you don't have one. You just bleed out because your femoral artery is decimated. If the entry wound doesn't kill you, the exit wound will.

And someone please get gigdy a host!!!

Cowboy: the range they go to in the segment is a private range and uranium and explosive tipped bullets are availible only through the military. But they do have clips of the aforementioned bullets hitting a target on a highspeed camera

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #28
666fast
Regular User

The local gun shop near me has a Barret. They let me hold and it's one heavy mofo. I can't imagine the recoil of it. I've seen .50 cal rifles being fired, I'd imagine it compares to being kicked in the shoulder by a horse. The price on the Barret was just under $9k. I have no idea what the exact model number it is they had though. They also had a few machine guns, heh, who needs an Uzi? $900!

I've shot a Desert Eagle. Very over rated gun. It's weight absorbs a lot of the recoil and with a proper hold on the gun it's not too bad. Though, with repeated shooting your wrist will get sore. The worst thing is that they aren't accurate for shit, not in my experience anyway. I couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside with one.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #29
TeflonTron
Regular User

That's strange, as the Desert Eagle is amongst the most accurate of all "off the shelf" guns and is perfect for target shooting. You have to hold it tightly though, and if you "limp wrist" a shot it will go all over the place, and can jam the gun. It really is the kind of gun that you need to spend a lot of time with, tbh.
TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #30
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
The US doesn't need to worry about its enemies getting hold of Barretts, as the Hungarian Gepard is also available, and that is more powerful and more accurate, not to mention that there is also a 14.5mm version that is twice as powerful as the Barrett.
Of course they don't... and of course they will.. and of course it is...

We all know the US sucks at anything it does, makes or tries...

we all know the enemies of the US are stronger, better and smarter...

...but do we really need you to remind everyone everyday?

You really are a world-class turd.
While you are a scholarly gentleman I guess? :violin:

Frodefe asked the question about what the US and her allies will do if/when the "badguys" get hold of these, and I simply answered that there are easier ways of getting a rifle that is as powerful, more accurate and is designed in an Eastern-Bloc country.
You sure did - taking great pains to make sure you said it was better etc etc etc.

Which do you think are more likely to fall into enemy hands: an American gun or a rifle of a country that shared its military arsenal/designs with Russia, which is a country well-known for stockpiles of its guns just walking out the door?
Uhm - it's patently obvious to those in the know - but you took great pains to point out any and all definicies in the "US" version vesrsus the "enemy" version....

This have nothing to do with the US, so don't try and turn it into that with your same old crap.
Yet you went to great pains to emphasis the "enemy" one is better and more accurate and more accesable... tahn the US one -- seems you made it about the US long before I even opened the thread

Harry: that is all well and good, but the Barrett XM109 in 25mm makes less power than the Gepard 14.5mm round. The new Barrett is basically using a grenade (the destructive power of the round comes from it being explosive, not because it's a bullet in the traditional sense).

For everyone's information, the video that purports to be a Barrett shooting Taliban snipers is fake. It's actually Rock Chucks being shot with a .17HMR.

Don't believe everything that you read on the Internet.
Again taking great pains to discount the "US" version

That's strange, as the Desert Eagle is amongst the most accurate of all "off the shelf" guns and is perfect for target shooting. You have to hold it tightly though, and if you "limp wrist" a shot it will go all over the place, and can jam the gun. It really is the kind of gun that you need to spend a lot of time with, tbh.
So you are a gun owner and regular shot then?

I thought hand-guns were verbotten in the Communist Republik of Britain?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote