Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-27-2004, 12:02 AM   #1
FordGTGuy

Default 8.9 EarthQuake and Tsunami

An 8.9 Earthquake, the largest in 40 years, rocked Indonesia today along with a Tsunami that traveled 3,600 miles in a Minute and a half that hit India. They killed over 11,600 people. A better review then mine.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041227/D877MDP80.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6754820/?GT1=5936

EDIT-

Tsunami Animations

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/savageearth/...ami/index.html

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tsunami/research.html
Old 12-27-2004, 12:07 AM   #2
possessed_beaver
Regular User

i was just about to post this, very tragic indeed!

but i expect limited news coverage after a couple of days, after all it diden't happen in america.

aparantley it hit alot of holiday resorts, so we could possibley expect deaths from all over the world.
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
FordGTGuy

yeah alask had a 3.2 an hour after
Old 12-27-2004, 12:21 AM   #4
FordGTGuy

Old 12-27-2004, 12:53 AM   #5
possessed_beaver
Regular User

can they estalish yet weither the plated moved verticaly or horizontality?

becuase one can cause a bigger wave then the other,
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:17 AM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i can never believe how destructive nature can be. I can't even imagne how it must have looked/felt to those affected by the tsunami. How horrible it had to have been for those people

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:07 AM   #7
CSedl87
Regular User

Originally Posted by possessed_beaver

They say it created a 620mile hole in the earth. Geologists are saying that it has affected the earths spin, and will affect the weather accordingly.
"At a given day and a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit, and you touch the limit, and you think 'okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens in you so that you can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and your experience as well, you can fly very high" - Ayrton Senna
CSedl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:17 AM   #8
FordGTGuy

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
This is one tragic way to end christmas
Unbelievable how fast the tsunamis travel, 500 mph :shock: Is there any videos of what happened? I missed the news in here.
if it was moving lets say 3600 miles in a min. then it was moving 216,000 mph closest thing to the speed of light in a long time probably.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:31 AM   #9
numerouno
Regular User

Many of the poor people could've been saved if they were informed of Tsunami possibility in advance
numerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:44 AM   #10
FordGTGuy

Old 12-27-2004, 02:58 AM   #11
FordGTGuy

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy
Unbelievable how fast the tsunamis travel, 500 mph :shock: Is there any videos of what happened? I missed the news in here.
if it was moving lets say 3600 miles in a min. then it was moving 216,000 mph closest thing to the speed of light in a long time probably.
Where did you get those numbers?
from an article you honestly believe that a force of 30 billion dynamite going off at one time would only make a wave go 500 mph?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:05 AM   #12
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by CSedl87

They say it created a 620mile hole in the earth. Geologists are saying that it has affected the earths spin, and will affect the weather accordingly.
620mile hole? holy fuck. did they say if it is located along the plates that shifted? or if we would notice any changes right away?

this kind of thing always gets interesting. especially when the effects aren't as obvious as say a volcanic eruption.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:25 AM   #13
dingo
Regular User

just think about what you just wrote.....as if a wave could travel at 216,000mph.....that made me laugh so hard
I heard on the news it was about 500kmh, which is alot more reasonable then the crazy figure you calculated. :shock:
Old 12-27-2004, 03:40 AM   #14
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo22
just think about what you just wrote.....as if a wave could travel at 216,000mph.....that made me laugh so hard
I heard on the news it was about 500kmh, which is alot more reasonable then the crazy figure you calculated. :shock:
i had to laugh at that too. with that figure, all of asia would have been submerged

216k mph would have reached Sri Lanka in 2.5 seconds vs. 2.5 HOURS

shit...i just noticed that Brunei is in the opposite direction of the tsunami :shock: the world easily could have added a shitload of ferraris to the list of casualties :shock: Not that a car is more important than a human life. but still. that would have been an even sadder day

Old 12-27-2004, 04:27 AM   #15
m3mys3lf4ndi
Regular User

i've mentioned about it yesterday in "what did santa got u for xmas" section (but no one replayed ) propably not the best topic to talk about disasters - or u just dont read all the post carfefuly
- coz meant to be in thailand at this time my mum is quite happy that i've stayed in uk....
it must been huge if it somehow got from the west cost of indonesia to east cost of thailand!

EDIT--> after seeing second animation im startin to get it how it turns...

m3mys3lf4ndi is offline   Reply With Quote