Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 08-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #1
sikx5
Regular User

Default 91 Carlos Sainz Group A Rallye GT-Four**Big update!**

Hey fellas,
Here are some pics of my car. Its a Group A Rally Celica GT4, It number 16 of 150 in Australia. It won a few world rally championships driven by carlos sainz, So they produced this model, Its always been a dream car for me since my elder brothers had one many years ago, i remember riding in it, And i had to get one someday, but never thought it would happen this soon.... I got it 8 Months ago, and have been rebuilding it with my brother, saving money, working heaps, and slowly completing bit by bit, and its finally compelted!!! So happy, and i installed my TRD Gravel stage struts this weekend, and OMG, its amazing the amount of grip it has!!

But here the pics:
Custom shot first:

This is when i bought the car:

Pics as it was sent off to the pannel beater:

All Painted:

The finished product with some freinds cars:

Mods so far are:
TRD Gravel Stage Struts, J-speed front brace, 3-point rear rally strut brace, Straight intake, Blitz pod filter with straight intake and cold air intake. 25mm H&R rear spacers.

Mods to come are:
Falken Azenis RT215 in 17" 235/40 on 17" Oz racing superturismo WRC rims with a 35+ offset.
Tein Super street struts.
Polyutherne bushes everywhere, Aluminium rear diff mount.
and more when i have money, hehehe. i will continute to update this thread.

Thanks for looking.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
gis
Regular User

Nice car,ive never heard of this version before.whats the difference over the regular GT4? whats the power?

i like your rims,they go well with the car being white

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
dingo
Regular User

Good to see its finally finished mate - but well worth it by the looks of things.

I agree with gis about the rims - I'm a big fan of black/dark wheels.

Excellent night time shots also, thanks and enjoy it.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
komotar
Regular User

awesome car!

I always liked celica's , especially that one. But I have never heard
about your version.

It's such an aggresive looking car. White colour fits it perfectly and those rims......niiiiice!

It's always nice to see someones hard work to pay off like this.

Power stats?

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
FPVPSI
Regular User

very nice...i allways like these types of stories...

from shitter to holy shit thats nice... well done on the car, and please stay away from big wings and all the other "rice" mods...
Old 08-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

awesome car dude! i always loved the GT4's.. such a underrated beast.. i never heard of the group a rally version though.. does it have anything different over the regular GT4?

congrats on finally finishing the rrebuild.. i probably wouldnt be able to get out of the car if i were in your posisition..
Old 08-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
TT
Regular User

Thanks for posting the custom shot and nice photo report, but sadly as the urles say: thumbs only from imageshack please: retrieve the correct code and edit the first post, thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
sikx5
Regular User

Originally Posted by gis
Nice car,ive never heard of this version before.whats the difference over the regular GT4? whats the power?

i like your rims,they go well with the car being white
Thanks dude!

They are visually different to the normal model in that it has a different bonnet and bumper. Instead of the scoop, the bonnet has an air vent (to expel hot air) and a small round scoop to provide cooling air to the cam belt housing (found to melt during rallying on older models). At the rear are two additional rear-facing exits. The bumper is more bulbous and has a larger vent area. Also the large heavy steel bumper is missing, a petite aluminium extrusion taking its place. As a result of these changes the cooling efficiency (resulting from increased throughput of air) is much higher. All ST185CS models were the wide-body version. The rear bumper was also redesigned to reduce weight. The engine differs from the normal car in that it uses a water-air intercooling system. and includes a water spray system (which is installed but not connected). The CS also uses a different turbo and air flow meter. The ECU has the fuel cut at 17psi, up from the normal 12psi. Also different suspension settings and a lightweight, low restriction exhaust system with 2.5” pipe work as standard. and also a different gearbox.

Power wise the car has 177KW at the flywheel is stock form, but is pretty heavy, but has sublime handeling to make up for that.

Originally Posted by dingo

Excellent night time shots also, thanks and enjoy it.
Thanks dingo, I got a tripod, so expect some nice Brisbane night shoots soon!!

Originally Posted by komotar
awesome car!

I always liked celica's , especially that one. But I have never heard
about your version.

It's such an aggresive looking car. White colour fits it perfectly and those rims......niiiiice!

It's always nice to see someones hard work to pay off like this.

Power stats?
Thanks dude, It has 177KW at 6200RPM and 320nm at 3400rpm. I am having a dyno done soon, so i will post up more accurate figures then.

Originally Posted by FPVPSI
from shitter to holy shit thats nice... well done on the car, and please stay away from big wings and all the other "rice" mods...
No exterior mods on this dude, except for some light weight rally wheels.
...everything is strictly track orientated.

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
congrats on finally finishing the rrebuild.. i probably wouldnt be able to get out of the car if i were in your posisition..
Thanks dude, Im always driving it and playing around with it, hahaha, hence my poor uni results this semester.

Originally Posted by TT
Thanks for posting the custom shot and nice photo report, but sadly as the urles say: thumbs only from imageshack please: retrieve the correct code and edit the first post, thanks

Sorry about that dude, All fixed now.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
TransAm
Regular User

what is 177kW in English? 230hp?

Nice car, whatever the HP. Good job you have done there mate

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:52 AM   #10
sikx5
Regular User

^^ Cheers dude, That is correct conversion i think, 230bhp. It has a lot more potential though, Its very restrictive and running from factory at 9psi in 1st, 2nd and 11psi in third. So alot more room for improvement easily.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 AM   #11
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

230bhp with about 230 lb/ft of torque.. thing must really be nice off the line..

how does the transmission take hard launches with the GT4's all wheel drive?

I don't recall hearing about the Group A Rally version of this car.. I'd love to get my hands on one of these..

were these only sold "down under"?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
PaulGT2164
Regular User

yhe alltrac trannys from my eperience are prety strong (i built a 3sgte motor for a alltrac a few years ago) and the engine can easily support alot more HP

great car tho, i love the CS edition, the car that i built the motor for had the CS front bumper installed

i like it
Old 08-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
sikx5
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
how does the transmission take hard launches with the GT4's all wheel drive?

were these only sold "down under"?
The tranny is a bit old, but its been reconditioned, and few hard launches and some enthusiastic driving it gets a little sticky...all due to age and stuff im guessing. This specific one was only sold downunder yeah, there are 60 left here now. But mechically the same, just the different name, "RC" was sold all around the world, 5,000 was made so the car could compete in the WRC.

Originally Posted by PaulGT2164

great car tho, i love the CS edition, the car that i built the motor for had the CS front bumper installed

i like it
Cheers dude, im in love with it.

Originally Posted by brembo
just start on the job of making it breath easier...you know you want to....but be aware if you first start you are lost, and that disease are hard to get rid of......
I know what you mean dude, Im broke every pay week, all my money is going into it, hahaha. I am going to do a brake upgrade over the holidays hopefully, 326mm discs on 4spot Brembo calipers at the front.

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
I remember at some point Toyota was going to make also a special model for Juha Kankkunen. I wonder what happened to it?
Thanks dude, Im not sure dude, I think they just made it for Carlos Sainz only.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:06 AM   #14
blinkmeat
Regular User

Nice car man. I was looking at one of these once upon a time ago... and those rims... nice, really nice. Now go make a video.
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:41 AM   #15
neilo63
Regular User

Sweet car shane, bout time you found the money to fix it all. haha. The new wheels should set the beast off quite nicey indeed.
neilo63 is offline   Reply With Quote