Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
SL55 AMG
Regular User

Default STS-V Ring time

Performance testing for the STS-V has been completed at the Nordschliefe circuit of Germany's famed Nurburgring, widely recognized as one of the world's most demanding tracks. The STS-V clocked lap times of approximately 8:30, a blistering pace for most any production vehicle, let alone a luxury sedan.
I found this at www.americancarfans.com, im not too familiar with many ring times so i was wondering how this approximate 8:30 stacks up against the its rivals (M5, E55, RS6 etc.)
SL55 AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Yeah - the STS-V is getting all sorts of press right now.

It is typical Caddy crap IMHO - unlike the CTS-V that doesn't try be what it is not.

CTS-V makes no excuses for being "a Hotrod sedan".

The STS-V is abotu as useful as an E55 - an over bloated underpowered boulevard cruiser

The CTS-V on the other hand does a good job of shadowing the old M5.... just what space in the market is this STS-V crap trying to fill?

If they upgrade the CTS-V to the 500hp LS7 and it will be shadowing the E60 M5 - so then again, where is this STS-V supposed to slot in?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
SL55 AMG
Regular User

Very true it seems Caddy is a little behind here, its almost like they develpoed this car to compete with the Previous super saloons (E39 M5, W220 E55 and old RS6). So now that the E60 M5 is out and when Audi makes the new RS6 and Mercedes the new E63 <--Im assuming, this STS-V is just competition for the previous generation.
on a positive note maybe this generation STS won't consume oil like the previous ones
SL55 AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

^^ But the problem is the CTV-s is already a serious contender in this space - and simply needed the 505hp LS7.

The STS-V is a typical lump of GM crap. Too much and too little at the same time.

Why they keep fumbling with that stupid Northstar piece of crap engine. It is full of useless technology and underperforms by a huge margin.

469hp in super cahrged form? puhlease.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
^^ But the problem is the CTV-s is already a serious contender in this space - and simply needed the 505hp LS7.

The STS-V is a typical lump of GM crap. Too much and too little at the same time.

Why they keep fumbling with that stupid Northstar piece of crap engine. It is full of useless technology and underperforms by a huge margin.

469hp in super cahrged form? puhlease.
well...
in F150 lightning manner... not many people ive met keep their supercharged cars stock... 1000$ and suddenly its 470+ WHP

im told that the northstar v8 iron block can handle upwards of 700 hp... but thats on the obscene side of things
Old 07-29-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

^^ I had heard the opposite - that the Northstar is in classic GM terms not a good platform to build on without major investment - too many short cuts taken.

The Ford motor is a really strong "Built Ford Tough" starting point
Overall the LS1/LS6 & LS2/LS7 are far better base lines than the "tech for tech's sake" Northstar. In my humble push-rod loving opinion of course...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

I had heard the opposite - that the Northstar is in classic GM terms not a good platform to build on without major investment - too many short cuts taken.
I 100% agree when dealing with the engine by itself... it is far from a good platform, and is quite expensive... but, with a stock supercharger, i dont really doubt the same things hold true to it as a 5.4, or 4.6... ? Overdrive pully, re-tuned ECU, and a 160 degree thermostat... i dont really see a reason that wouldn't liven things up a bit... for a overwheight ulgy sedan not to mention if people opt to get bigger superchargers and such.

naturally, the engines longetivity will decrease a bit, but adding say.. 5-7 more PSI is more then reasonable.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
T-Bird
Regular User

umm you would want an overdrive pully on a supercharger not underdrive
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
umm you would want an overdrive pully on a supercharger not underdrive
hehe, fixed
Old 07-30-2005, 12:25 AM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Although, wouldn't you want an underdrive accessory pulley?
Old 07-30-2005, 03:56 AM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Although, wouldn't you want an underdrive accessory pulley?
another easier modification.. but the supercharger overdrive pully yields more results, i tend to think
Old 07-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

--- I should have added "as well". -- just giving you an out..
Old 08-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #13
dangerously_cool
Regular User

What are the chances that they'd actually upgrade the CTS-V to a C6 Z06's motor? If they did that I'd have to find some way of getting one, I love the idea of the V being an American M5, especially with the manual transmission, and no choice for a slushbox.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #14
pharzo
Regular User

The M5's transmission is not a "slushbox", it's a manu-matic if you want to go for the american slang term...

Plus in the US you can get an M5 with a manual tranny...

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #15
T-Bird
Regular User

actually the M5 will only come with the new 7-Speed SMG transmission. And with the C6 Z06 motor I have a feeling that the V would give the M5 one hell of a run for the money especially seeing how easy it would be to mod the living shit out of it.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote