Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 06-15-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
st-anger
Regular User

Default need help with PS2 & GT4

....so, all of you know it, i´m one of the computer dorks here at JW but i NEED a present for a 16year old, he´s a car freak as well, and i think i´ll buy him PS2 with "GT4", he already has XBox with that "Gotham(???!)" stuff or whatever, so my question to those who already played both of them or just one of the two games:

which one is better and how good is this "GT4" maybe in comparison to the previous version...
graphics, gameplay, whatever....
what do i need to buy.....??? only console and game, or some things like steering wheel or joystick or ...... i don´t know....

ANY input ´d be so much appreciated, thx
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
Sachmo12345
Regular User

GT4 isnt out yet unless you speak of Prolugue which is like a sample of GT$

Xbox Live Gamertag: sachmo12345
Sachmo12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #3
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sachmo12345
GT4 isnt out yet unless you speak of Prolugue which is like a sample of GT$
nevertheless.....how is it....???
he can buy the final version when it´s out i think....
Porsche 911
Old 06-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
veilsidebr

yeah..the final release of GT4 will be at the mid-end of the year...now there is just the GT4 Prologue at the stores, wich is a demo-versioned game, that is the GT3 but with another "skin", cars, but it´s not the GT4 complete game aswell.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:55 AM   #5
TT
Regular User

Sadly GT4P alone isn't really worth.. GT4 will be out in Nov-Dec in the US.. probably the same in Europe, but could be 2005...

GT is better than Gotham IMO and by far! Even GT3 is better. Of course you could keep the boy happy untill GT4 with this combo:

PS2 + GT3 + GT3 Concept + GT4 Prologue

BTW, off topic, but I'm paying Riding Spirits II and it's by far the best motorbikes game on console

BTW, the console + joypad (included) is ok, maybe a second joypad if he wants to play with friends... don't forget one or even 2 mem cards

As for a steering wheel.. could be nice, but first let's see if he will like the game (no idea how he could not )
Old 06-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #6
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Sadly GT4P alone isn't really worth.. GT4 will be out in Nov-Dec in the US.. probably the same in Europe, but could be 2005...

GT is better than Gotham IMO and by far! Even GT3 is better. Of course you could keep the boy happy untill GT4 with this combo:

PS2 + GT3 + GT3 Concept + GT4 Prologue

BTW, off topic, but I'm paying Riding Spirits II and it's by far the best motorbikes game on console

BTW, the console + joypad (included) is ok, maybe a second joypad if he wants to play with friends... don't forget one or even 2 mem cards

As for a steering wheel.. could be nice, but first let's see if he will like the game (no idea how he could not )
thx m8, it´s clearer now, so to sum it up: GT4P is shit or what....???
do you think because of that i should add GT3 + GT3C...????
Porsche 911
Old 06-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #7
stracing
Regular User

does he have his own dvd player? if not a remote might be worth a consideration.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
TT
Regular User

thx m8, it´s clearer now, so to sum it up: GT4P is shit or what....???
GT4 is not a complete game.. it is short and if he never had a GT before, you definitely need at least GT3 that will show him what it is about GTConcept is a bit like GT4P.. short.. incomplete.. and sure not worth to buy alone IMO.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:49 PM   #9
st-anger
Regular User

i see, but you haven´t already played GT4P....?
if yes, what different to GT3 and will the final version of GT4 differ from GT4P....???

sorry for beeing a completely dork on that sector
Porsche 911
Old 06-15-2004, 12:54 PM   #10
TT
Regular User

I played it yes.. and again.. it is a teaser for GT4.. it has just 5 tracks.. and only two with AI opponents.. only one rally course... and just a few cars.. only arcade mode, no tuning at all possible on the cars.. you only have the licenses to do (I admit they are a challenge if you want all golds), and then you are left with some 50 and 5 tracks to play with.. it's great for any GT fans, especially thanks to Tsukuba but if you consider GT3, packed with hundreads of car, the Gran Turismo mode (where you can buy and upgrade cars and race in many many leagues), more tracks and so on... you understand that GT4P is good ONLY if you had GT3 and are dying to play GT4! GTC is a bit the same.. just some cars, even less than GT4P and a couple of tracks and only arcade mode.

Gt3 may be a bit dated, but still VERY good and definitely they way to go for somebody owning his first PS2 and wanting a good videogame able to keep him glued to the TV screen for days/weeks/months... for sure even GT4P will be superb if you never saw the whole thing.. but I repeat.. it's for ppl that loved GT3, can't wait for GT4 and want a little teaser of what it could be like...

GT4 BTW will have again hundreads of cars (no official list yet), LOT of tracks and online mode...
Old 06-15-2004, 02:25 PM   #11
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
I played it yes.. and again.. it is a teaser for GT4.. it has just 5 tracks.. and only two with AI opponents.. only one rally course... and just a few cars.. only arcade mode, no tuning at all possible on the cars.. you only have the licenses to do (I admit they are a challenge if you want all golds), and then you are left with some 50 and 5 tracks to play with.. it's great for any GT fans, especially thanks to Tsukuba but if you consider GT3, packed with hundreads of car, the Gran Turismo mode (where you can buy and upgrade cars and race in many many leagues), more tracks and so on... you understand that GT4P is good ONLY if you had GT3 and are dying to play GT4! GTC is a bit the same.. just some cars, even less than GT4P and a couple of tracks and only arcade mode.

Gt3 may be a bit dated, but still VERY good and definitely they way to go for somebody owning his first PS2 and wanting a good videogame able to keep him glued to the TV screen for days/weeks/months... for sure even GT4P will be superb if you never saw the whole thing.. but I repeat.. it's for ppl that loved GT3, can't wait for GT4 and want a little teaser of what it could be like...

GT4 BTW will have again hundreads of cars (no official list yet), LOT of tracks and online mode...

THX m8 now i know what to do.....and buy....
i´m quite sure he´ll like it...
Porsche 911
Old 06-15-2004, 02:26 PM   #12
TT
Regular User

And BTW, I'm quite sure now GT3 costs even less than GT4P since it is probably out since decades in the Platinum collection
Old 06-15-2004, 02:30 PM   #13
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
And BTW, I'm quite sure now GT3 costs even less than GT4P since it is probably out since decades in the Platinum collection
well, thx for the info, but money shouldn´t be the problem....especially for the kidz...
Porsche 911
Old 06-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #14
TT
Regular User

HAHA I know and anyway the difference would probably be in the 10 € it was just to point out another "pro" toward GT3 compared to GT4P bigger and cheaper ...
Old 06-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #15
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
HAHA I know and anyway the difference would probably be in the 10 € it was just to point out another "pro" toward GT3 compared to GT4P bigger and cheaper ...
i think i´ll send my wife to the store, so no worries for me
Porsche 911