Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-14-2004, 12:36 PM   #16
sickx
Regular User

As long as you are actually heel-and-toeing properly, there is no problem with the clutch. However, I question why you are doing this simply to brake--the purpose of H&T is to match the lower gear in preparation for a slower corner.

It will get quite expensive to do this simply for braking, as engine/tranny bits are far more expensive than brake pads.
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #17
RallyeNLD
Regular User

About the noise ,maybe it's the clutch bearing (Druklager in Dutch).
Old 01-14-2004, 06:49 PM   #18
1zippo1
Regular User

Aha, thx again for the info guys.

By the way ChrisAW11 what kinda MR2 do you have? The last model? Because it is supposed to be very good? What do you think about it and is it a stock car.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:31 AM   #19
ChrisAW11
Regular User

I got the very first MR2... '86. Still a very good car . It's got pretty nice handling, a decent amount of power, and the most limited luggage space you can imagine - which is usually of no concern, but yesterday I tried buying a new Dolby Digital set... no chance to put the big box in, had to open it on the parking lot and take the small boxes for Amp, DVD and Speakers out, and even then I had problems to arrange them - the biggest one had to go on the passenger seat, with a friend of mine already sitting there.

Torque is relative, power is not.

I have the bad habit of writing and thinking simultaneously - please bear with me when I edit that mess afterwards!

Please vote on Europe!!!
Europe needs YOUR Vote!!!
ChrisAW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:16 AM   #20
jakaracman
Regular User

Yaris has a good pedal position for heel and toe, just use left part of right foot to brake and right side of same foot to press throttle before releasing the clutch. I do it all the time in most cars (if the pedals are spaced OK) without even knowing it - sometimes people in the car ask me what I'm doing and i go "What do you mean. What do I do?". You just get used to it avfrer years of doing it.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:53 AM   #21
brijoel
Regular User

ive really been spoiled with the pedal position on my mr2 spyder. its near perfect placement for heel-toe shifting, hell i use it everytime im in the car practically(once i got my timing down after floging the car around corners for awhile). you really have to learn where it is the clutch grabs exactly so that you can shorten the stroke as much as possible when giving it that little bit of gas then lifting the rest of the way off the clutch.

1994 Gen II engine, 1996 close ratio tranny, CT20b turbo, ARC Intake, 1996 gen 3 ecu, HKS Super Sequential Blowoff Valve, HKS 43mm Boost Gauge, Greddy Dual PE Exhaust,Greddy Turbo Timer, Greddy Profec B boost controller(12 psi normal, 17 psi high~fuel cut is 18~) , Greddy Intercooler, Manjit IC Fan Shroud, Spal 7.5" Puller Fan, Ceramic Coated Turbo Heat Shield and Intercooler Piping, Bilstein Struts, Eibach Sportline Springs, Suspension Technique Sway Bars, GAB Strut Tower Bar, KAAZ LSD, Supra TT Fuel Pump and 540cc gen 3 injectors, 16" GAB Sport wheels, Yokohama AVS ES100 205/45/16 & 225/45/16, Powerslot rotors and EBC red stuff pads in front, and stock rear.

~phew~
brijoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:38 AM   #22
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by jakaracman
Yaris has a good pedal position for heel and toe.
Maybe you mean the Yaris T sport but I just drive the little 1.0 VVTi and those pedals really aren't aligned well... Or mabye my feet are to big... but the brake pedal is way higher then the throttle. The throttle is really close to the side. Tried it on numerous accasions, I can't manage to brake and push the throttle.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #23
sickx
Regular User

That's why you buy pedal covers--they are cheap and incredibly effective at positioning for heel-toe even in a non-sports car!
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:49 AM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

honestly, i wouldnt bother heel+ toe in anything less then 160 hp/ ft.-lb. and especially if your not on a wonderfully winding road like the ones back around Hell, MI... and many other places ive been/and not been.
and in responce to what you appear to be doing to the clutch is burning it. it works both ways where it can be burned where to much throttle is applied between shifts, and the synchro is hurt, and the clutch plate is frying. think of it this way, you are applying much more accelleration to the engine/trans when braking then you could hope to when full throttle is engaged, and whithout bliping the trottle to match rpms, more severe damage could occur then if you were power shifting all out...
i may be wrong, but there are some sound techniques here
good luck
Old 01-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #25
coombsie66
Regular User

Its always good practice to heel and toe, or at least rev match on the downshift all the time you drive. I couldnt do it in my focus due to poor pedal positioning, so i bought some sparco pedal covers, bolted them on, now the throttle pedal is lower down and wider than it was, so now heel and toeing is a doddle!! I do it at all times now.
It will help prolong the life of all or you transmission and ancilleries. Plus if uve got a nice k&n roar and bulrble from a straight through exhaust downshifting sounds wickid!
I found the hardest part to gettin it right is being able to keep the pressure on the brake pedal constant if you are braking normally, and being able to then swing your heel round and blip the throttle without puttting extra pressure on the brake pedal.
When you are ragging your brakes its easier, cus you are pushing the brake pedal a lot harder than normal.