Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 09-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
st-anger
Regular User

Default AUdi RS4 - SA test

...well, probably not the proper test - to name it, the "Supertest" - but in the article they say that thisīll follow soon, so what did Jo Übler - the man behind HvS - say, he liked the new 40/60 distribution because now with ESP off little drifts are possible - business as usual the Quattro is good for outstanding longitudinal performance, on the other hand understeering is again, but this time a minor, issue with over 1000kg on the front axle of the overall 1725kg - which is unfortunately again quite heavy...
of course he enjoyed the engine although some might miss that beautiful boost of the V6 BiTurbo, gearbox is definitely an improvement of the already very good working one from the last edition, acceleration with 4.9sec is on 911S level, up to 200 the new one is 2 sec faster than the old RS4 - engine sound is very good - only major issue is the 250kmh limit...

HHR: due to itīs layout the RS4 is not that good for a narrow track like HHR it has simply too much weight on the front axle so understeering is quite an issue, nevertheless the RS4 is good for a 1:15.8, nearly as good as a Porsche 911 and better than a BMW M3, also because of the outstanding braking performance in combination with the Pirelli Corsa tires...

well, letīs wait for the Supertest
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Schwalbe

Thanks again st-anger for this SA article about the new Audi B7 RS4.

It's obvious that I prefer the old Audi B5 RS4, but this new RS4 has better brake and has better weight distribution. From the engine power point of view it's disappointing, because 420 bhp is only equivalent from the Stage 1 (Chip) in the old B5 RS4. I have two friends who own a B5 RS4 of 517 Hp, and I can say the performance of their cars are in the supercar territory. (0-100km/h in 4.0 sec, 0-200km/h in 14.1sec and top speed of ~320 km/h). It's the magic of turbocharged engine...It's the reason why I like so much the Audi B5 RS4.

To make me accept an NA engine in a car from Quattro GmbH, I would have needed 500bhp to be convinced.

Nevertheless, I like the new B7 RS4 sedan and the next Avant, because they are RS4 !
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
st-anger
Regular User

....same here, still prefer the B5 to the new one especially when speaking of looks, just love the "understatement" exterior of the old RS4, the new one is a bit too agressive for my taste...
and the B5īs (tuned) engine is simply mindblowing, imho 380hp is too less for such a big car but 450, 500 hp is just right and perfect for it especially on the autobahn...

for me a RS4 Avant is still one of the best cars ever
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote