Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-15-2005, 06:17 AM   #1
st-anger
Regular User

Default SA Supertest Corvette C6 test results

lap times:

NS: 8.15min
(8.18 - C5 Commemorative Edition )

HHR: 1.14,8min
(1.15,9 - C5 Commemorative Edition )

performance:

0-100kmh: 5.2sec
0-200: 16.8sec

1492kg -> 3.7kg/hp

...full scan and translation to follow asap in "mag scans"
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Danke - should be an interesting read.

It is such a pity that Europe only got the C5 Z51 Coupe in "Commemerative Edition", instead of the full C5 Z06.

For some reason GM thought Europeans wouldn't want the high-performance version, so they shipped you guys the slow, heavy, small tyre equipped cars
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Naahhh, nobody want's them anyway

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR
Naahhh, nobody want's them anyway
Sure.. by the way - look how FEW Audi's, MB's and BMW's can even lap under 8 minutes.

Slow, underpowered, heavy, badly handling cars must really be in demand in Europe these days
Old 07-15-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Sure.. by the way - look how FEW Audi's, MB's and BMW's can even lap under 8 minutes.
And pretty much all GM models can do sub 8 min laps
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
And pretty much all GM models can do sub 8 min laps
Actually yes - the no-excuse performance model that GM makes - the C5 Z06 (and now the C6 Z06) can and do.

GM is not a performance company - they happen to produce 1 model - BMW on the other hand, claim to be a performance company
Old 07-15-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
dingo
Regular User

here we go again........ :roll:
Old 07-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
Ghostbat
Regular User

GM is not a performance company - they happen to produce 1 model - BMW on the other hand, claim to be a performance company
..And most BM:s are faster than the average GM car..

400bhp in a sportscar and 0-100km/h in 5.2sec is pathetic
Compare that with a proper sportscar from Stuttgart with only 325bhp and equally fast..
Old 07-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
here we go again........ :roll:
Damn straight "here we go again" - after all these years and still no credit for a genuine sub 8 min 'Ring lapper, that is affordable, comfortable and able to compete and beat the "best the others" have to offer.

Yet all we get crammed down our throtas all day long is "BMW this, Audi that, Mercedes another, Ferrari blah blah blah blah"

Well - when you do a back to back anlysis it seems the "best" of the others is actually rather mediocre when you line all competitors up.

..And most BM:s are faster than the average GM car..
Nobody has claimed they weren't. So what's the point?

400bhp in a sportscar and 0-100km/h in 5.2sec is pathetic
Compare that with a proper sportscar from Stuttgart with only 325bhp and equally fast..
Again? Your point? The C5 Coupe (and C6 Coupe) is a stock Carrera/Boxter competitor - and by the numbers in a real world all conditions (the Nurburgring) does that quite well thank you.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Ghostbat
Regular User

RC45. Do you seriously mean that the 997 Carrera is the best that Porsche has to offer?

Yes I know that the yanks make great bang for buck cars, no doubt about it. What you don't get is quality and refinement but let's leave it at that, ok?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

RC45. Do you seriously mean that the 997 Carrera is the best that Porsche has to offer?
OK - I am going to type this slowly, so you can keep up reading it.

You are obviously clueless as to the difference between the base C5 Coupe and the C5 Z06, and the base C6 Coupe and the upcoming C6 Z06.

I was quite obviously comparing the 2 manufacturers base models. For you to try insinuate otherwise, or even "misread" the info provided, is simply proof of a severe bias that blinds you to the information provided by the above posts.

Again - the base C5 Coupe and the base C6 Coupe are aimed at and competently compete with the base Carrera and Boxster (and a number of other vehicles at a realworld definitive venue such as the Nurburgring.

But I am sure you DID NOT know this.

Here educate yourself - please.

OK - now that we have your education taken care of - lets address the next point ...

Yes I know that the yanks make great bang for buck cars, no doubt about it. What you don't get is quality and refinement but let's leave it at that, ok?
You have obviously never actually seen, let alone sat in or driven either a 911 or a C5 or C6 - if you had of, you would see that once behind the wheel all the "magazine crap" about plasticy this or refinement that is not very apparent at all.

Having had honest, friendly true auto enthusiast (read as not wannabe snobs) observe themselves that there is not much between the Carerra interior and the Corvette interior.

Layout fit, finish etc are on a par. But you would know this if you did a back to back Carrera to Corvette comparison - just because Jeremy Clarkson says so, doesn't make it so

Oh - and when you are finished your home work, we can talk about 911 Turbo vs C5 Z06 vs F360CS and GT2 vs C6 Z06 vs F430 numbers and performance

If only people would behave like auto enthusiasts and actually acknowledge and enjoy high performance cars for what they are - and not try to prove them to be ego and status penis extensions
Old 07-15-2005, 12:35 PM   #12
pharzo
Regular User

You have to get over this "bang for buck" crap...the vette is great car in its' own right...

a freakin 7m40s at the ring!!!

forget money, that's an awesome time for cars THREE times what the c6z06 costs

edit: just saw RC's post above...oh well :bah:

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Anywhooo... st-anger posted the C6 base model SA test results, so we should stick with base model for base model comparisons.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
Ghostbat
Regular User

You are very funny RC45..

First of all I talking about companies base models. I was not aware of that Corvette is a carmanufacterer..

Thanks for the pic but I have already "educated" myself the first time it was posted..

Actually I have been in both the C5 Vette and a 996. The difference in quality is like day and night and I'm quite sure the 997 is just as great or better than the 996.The Vette was just cheap plastic all over whereas the 911 is leather and luxury. The way you are speaking it sounds more like you have never been in a european high end car. It's easy to talk about "magazine crap" but most of us understand that it's not crap but the truth. Maybe that hurts? Watch the 997 Carrera S spank the C6 in Motortrends comparison test. Yes that is an american show folks

I see it like this. American cars are absolutely great bang for buck but people that can afford a Ferrari (not me included) will never buy a Chevrolet. And that's not about being a snob..
Old 07-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
graywolf624
Regular User

^^Im staying out of this arguement other then to say.. Anyone who trusts motortrend needs their head examined.. It isnt a review magazine, its a walking advertisement for the highest bidder.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote