Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-20-2004, 03:40 AM   #1
mindgam3
Regular User

Default Gordon Murray to leave Mclaren?

From Autocar:

"The furture of Gordon Murray, father of the legendary McLaren F1 supercar, appears uncertain this week following news that the company intends to restructure its road car operations

McLaren confirmed last week that it is reviewing the organisation of Murray's Advanced concepts division, which was responsible for the new McLaren Merecedes SLR.

Martin Whitmarsh, the CEO of McLaren's F1 team, told Autocar that no decision had been taken regarding Murray's future, but we understand that he will be ending his 18 year association with the Woking company.

"We are in the process of consultation regarding whther there will be redundancies or not," added Whitmarsh.

Murray, 57, was unavailable for comment last week.

Whitmarsh said that the shake up would not affect plans for a new, smaller McLaren supercar codenamed P8, which is due to arrive in late 2007."

Sad to see such a talented man leaving such a great company
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:48 AM   #2
X-ale
Regular User

They are gonna make a new supercar that soon? They won't even have resumed the SLR sales by then won't they?! Dam, they should focus on F1 and not another toy for sales....
Old 08-20-2004, 03:52 AM   #3
blah
Regular User

Its gonna be a car to compete with the 360 well 430 by then, and the Gallardo, and the Ford GT. Thats what i heard last.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:07 AM   #4
X-ale
Regular User

Dude, by 2007, the Gallardo will have gone GT, there will be the new Shelby Daytona, the new C6 Z06, the 430 prolly "challenge" by then also. Let's see, 997 TT and with the Ford GT, that doesn't leave much of the pie for McLaren in that category unless they are going for style "a la" spykerish. They don't possibly have enough of the right drugs to try acheive something like that, well unless they move the designers to amsterdam.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:35 AM   #5
Sir_GT
Regular User

I bet he's gone back with BMW... he and Ron Dennis have both publicly stated before that they preferred working with them.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
Nik^XeN
Regular User

Originally Posted by X-ale
Dude, by 2007, the Gallardo will have gone GT, there will be the new Shelby Daytona, the new C6 Z06, the 430 prolly "challenge" by then also. Let's see, 997 TT and with the Ford GT, that doesn't leave much of the pie for McLaren in that category unless they are going for style "a la" spykerish. They don't possibly have enough of the right drugs to try acheive something like that, well unless they move the designers to amsterdam.
hahaha, thats a funny line ,
Come to Rotterdam!! much nicer very much nicer..
Amsterdam is old and its suck a little bit, Rotterdam is nice and Modern..
Old 08-20-2004, 10:08 AM   #7
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by X-ale
They are gonna make a new supercar that soon? They won't even have resumed the SLR sales by then won't they?! Dam, they should focus on F1 and not another toy for sales....
They have completely seperate operations for road and F1 cars (well obviously not completely seperately), but by selling road cars, and especially the proposed "cheaper" macca, they'll get a lot more revenue which will help the whole company in the long run. I'd love to see McLaren make a baby supercar, its bound to be good. Lets hope its more mclaren and less mercedes this time round
Old 08-20-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
DeMoN
Regular User

I dont think they will make a supercar like the McLaren F1. I mean pricewize and using gold again. They say that they were planing on selling 300 mclaren f1's and since they did not even get close to that number, I suppose they will do a car to fight of some ferraris. Hope I am wrong and they make an eaven greater supercar and better looking than the Mclaren F1, then I'd have to update my sig...
Old 08-20-2004, 12:05 PM   #9
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

In evo it said that since the slr was already being built in McLarens new factory that theyare going to have to buil the newer McLaren in Mercs new factor..more than likely..which IMO is a huge problem for McLaren...
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:10 PM   #10
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by DMbaseball1604
In evo it said that since the slr was already being built in McLarens new factory that theyare going to have to buil the newer McLaren in Mercs new factor..more than likely..which IMO is a huge problem for McLaren...
i don't think its where its built that they're concerned with, i think its more how its built and how much mercedes will stick their noses into it.... Hopefully only for the engine...
Old 08-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #11
5.7 V10
Regular User

Heard about it, which is too bad. Gordon Murrary made McLaren an amazing company with the F1. Not to mention F1 wins. It will be sad to have him go.

5.7 V10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:22 PM   #12
Mers
Regular User

Fuckin Idiots at McLaren...... next thing you know they'll be kicking out Ron Dennis for christ's sake.....
Murray is a genius when it comes to cars, road or race....many people owe many things to him...
i hated it when mercedes and mcLaren joined, and i will hate even more if this is true..what a sad way to go....
In a few years, we'll be seeing Mclaren saloons, s. wagons and sooner than u know it, an SUV...tsc tsc tsc
Old 08-20-2004, 07:30 PM   #13
X-ale
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mers
Fuckin Idiots at McLaren...... next thing you know they'll be kicking out Ron Dennis for christ's sake.....
Murray is a genius when it comes to cars, road or race....many people owe many things to him...
i hated it when mercedes and mcLaren joined, and i will hate even more if this is true..what a sad way to go....
In a few years, we'll be seeing Mclaren saloons, s. wagons and sooner than u know it, an SUV...tsc tsc tsc
Why not a van with the F1 engine like Renault did Then some could add posts to the "your favourite van" thread
Old 08-21-2004, 01:05 AM   #14
DeMoN
Regular User

Better yet, McLaren SUV