Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Porsche 959
subzero 48 71.64%
cool 10 14.93%
uncool 3 4.48%
seriously uncool 6 8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2007, 03:34 AM   #16
JoeHahn
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
Originally Posted by wackary
Subzero, without a doubt. It is an icon of a vehicle. I have a bit of a 959 story. i had a friend who worked as a mechanic at a high-end car repair shop in Birmingham. One of their customers bought a 959 and imported to the US himself. He sent to the shop my friend worked at to get it modified to pass US DOT and EPA standards. My friend got the opportunity to ride in it with the owner for a quick spin late at night. The way he told it, the car left him stunned. I do not know how long it took them to get the car legal. Sx months after the guy took delivery of the car I moved away and up until that time the car was still not legal. That must have driven him nuts, not able to legally run the car on the road. Back then, track days were not nearly as prevalent or commonplace.

im going to have to call BS on this story, for one reason. BILL GATES, and other M-Soft executives bought 959's and couldnt drive them in the US and they are some of the richest people on the fucking world.

the thing with the 959 was that Porsche didnt want to give up 5 of them I think it was for crash testing. the US wanted to see if they were safe enough, but the cost of the car was too great for Porsche to want to give into that demand.

so, ok yeah there might be some here in the states but none of them are LEGAL by US standards, until Porsche gives 4 or 5 up for crash testing!!

but as for the vote, SUBZERO, without a doubt my fav car of all-time well maybe 2nd after the VW Rabbit GTi!!
The 959 is definately road legal in the US after a few modifications. Giving them more air to breathe and also modifying the Run Flat Tyres so they could be updated with newer rubber were part of the modifications. Some even boasted up to 550bhp in US Conversion trim. This car is the ultimate: Subzero
Old 06-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #17
Kaz
Regular User

i have a photo of me sitting in one, after taking a slow 1st gear ride (passenger seat) when I am approx. 5-7? years old. I had no idea that it was some uber behemoth just a porsh-aaaaa!
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
nthfinity
Regular User

Bruce Canopa does the US conversions with the best results for fully US DOT legal driving of your 959.... it just takes a long time... a very long time.

SZ !!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #19
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
This car are sub zero for sure...

Another thing I find funny are all the people pissing on the Veyron for being an uber electronic machine are praising the 959 for being exactly the same, the Veyron are todays 959....

I guess its easier to praise a car wich where around before they had the chance to piss on it, so they dont need to go back and eat their words when it actually performs....
the 959 is a mechanical machine, not electronic
Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 AM   #20
taygunho
Regular User

SZ. Do you know any other super car which raced in Paris-Dakar RAlly? And won. I don't.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #21
stmoritzer
Regular User

it was the state-of-the-art car when I was a boy

SZ

this car didn't fulfill any standards/levels, it set the new definition of them (sounds like a Chuck Norris sentence )

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #22
Carbodiox
Regular User

Like F40. Only better. SZ
Carbodiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #23
p956lh
Regular User

Sub-zero. I mean, come on... carbon-kevlar nil-lift bodywork, a 935/78-derived engine, active 4WD, and a chassis that went through a Paris-Dakar rally, while still being somewhat usable everyday (can't say the same about the XJ220, EB110, and F-40)... can't get much better than that.
p956lh is offline   Reply With Quote