Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Honda NSX
subzero 41 45.05%
cool 31 34.07%
uncool 14 15.38%
seriously uncool 5 5.49%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #31
JoeHahn
Regular User

Yeah well the car doesnt catch my pants on fire when its standing still - so it doesnt matter. How cars operate makes them cool to me - other wise you may aswell pose in a 'slick civic 'yo'
Old 10-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #32
T-Bird
Regular User

never once have I heard of NSX brakes catching on fire. the only track problems I've heard of are that the "economical" cats like to collapse in on themselves after to much prolonged abuse. I have beat the crapout of a few NSX's before and have never experienced brake fade granted the new Brembos on the '07 TL type-S feel much better the NSX brakes are still more than enough for the car.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #33
Vansquish
Regular User

This car is subzero. Not necessarily for its performance (which is good, but not fantastic), nor for it's everyday useability and reliability (not necessarily a cool characteristic), but for the people who were intimately involved with its design.

Any car with the genius of Ayrton Senna behind its abilities is a subzero-cool vehicle in my book.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #34
stmoritzer
Regular User

not a fan of rice :bah:
the car is ok, but not cool

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #35
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by stmoritzer
not a fan of rice :bah:
the car is ok, but not cool
how is the car rice? please explain this to me...
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:38 AM   #36
Mattk
Regular User

Yeah, how is this rice? Are you sure you haven't mistaken this with the Honda CRX?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #37
toffytofik
Regular User

Honda NSX, more specificly - NSX-R (aka Type-R) no doubt about it - subzero.

Obviously not everyone here understand the true worth of this car, so let me add my 2c.

Apart from Senna there were another two F1 drivers involved in testing and development of this car - S.Nakajima and B. Rahal. Their effort was critical in making the car as it is now.

Being lightweight, mid-engined rwd car with ultra-rigid, ultra-light aluminum monocoque chassis, wide wheel base, advanced aerodynamics, low CoG and great weight destribution, Honda NSX-R is the pure example of what a real sportscar should be. It's NA 3 litre V6 engine is the high revving one (so quick response and flat power curve as the result) coupled with the 6 speed manual gearbox with short gear ratios - all together makes it perfect for circuit racing, - that's what NSX was meant to be, and that's what it's all about. The weak point of the car is the JDM stricted power output and brakes which seem to perform poorly but only when braking hard to standstill otherwise they aren't an issue.

Those of you who watch Best Motoring should have a good image of this car's capabilities. "Cornering machine" - that's how all of the racers who appear in BM call the NSX. Now really, it's cornering perfomance is really impressive. It goes around the corners faster than, well, basicly anything. Hell, it even laps Tsukuba a tad faster than 911 GT3 and last-gen 911 Turbo (Tiptronic S ver). It stays competitive against the modern supercars which have twice as much power.

Here're some vids with NSX-R competing against some supercars.

Motegi battle, Part 1:

Motegi battle, Part 2:

Motegi battle, Part 3:

Too bad Honda haven't competed with NSX much anywhere apart from Japan. It entered LeMans two or three times, the best result was the 1st place in GT2 class - but that's it. As for Japan, NSXs are now dominating Super GT championship and ARTA NSX is the current champion.
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #38
enzoferrari
Regular User

very Cool,faster than a lot of more powerfull cars today.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #39
CMonakar
Regular User

I have mixed feelings about this car.
-The 1990 model in red with the black roof was very forward thinking -it looks modern by today's standards. The Targa with body colored forward raked b-pillars was a big step in the wrong direction in terms of style and chassis stiffness.
-It's not the fastest car around the track or in a straight line by a long shot. The 1999 RX7 Type-RS ate it for lunch and costs a lot less. The J-GTC car doesn't have much in common with the production car -different gearbox, engine orientation, displacement, construction. It's fast, but it's a different car . . .
-There is a lot of wheel well intrusion into the pedal box. For me this completely spoils the driving position. It's a shame because otherwise it is very good.
-The interior has the ambiance of a Honda CRX. Great design, but the panels and materials feel like they came out of a machine rather than a workshop. That said, the seats are some of the coolest looking seats ever fitted to a car. The way they connected the upper and lower cushions together with accordion leather boots and the side mounted controls make them look like something straight out of Star Wars.
-The engine is kind of gutless, but sounds fantastic.
-The fact that it has a trunk is great, but given how slow it is I expect a bigger one and a set of back seats.
-Body work is expensive, insurance is expensive, mistakes at the track will be expensive.
-The drive by wire throttle is a neat feature and ground breaking at the time.
-The electric power steering system is still used as a bench mark today.

Overall a very nice car. The 1990-92 model might be subzero, but the late 90s models lagged pretty far behind the competition in terms of the cost/performance/practicality.
CMonakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #40
BloodyPenguin
Regular User

Subzero. Love its old school interior too!