Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 05-10-2006, 04:07 AM   #16
DeMoN
Regular User

anyone else find it weird that google ads show the PS3 on this thread always? I Mean, does it track to check title of thread and puts the most related ad there? hmm makes you wonder.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #17
mindgam3
Regular User

But don't forget the PS3 has HDMI, 1080p, a Blu Ray drive, more space, motion sensitive controllers, and free online play.... easily gonna beat of the 360 - i'll be getting one anyway

I think it'll be worth it as a Blu ray player alone
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #18
Sm@ck
Regular User

I find the price acceptable.
You get a lot more hardware than you do from an xbox 360.

Besides if you think the price is expensive, than think about what car makers charge for options.
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #19
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
anyone else find it weird that google ads show the PS3 on this thread always? I Mean, does it track to check title of thread and puts the most related ad there? hmm makes you wonder.
the goolge ads does a search of the page. and finds 'key words' and posts links that relate to the topics on the page.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #20
Daggernite
Regular User

The price is no dou bt worth it. Aint sony making a loss on each system? and thats mostly due to the blueray drive??

But just because its worth it from a technical point of view. Does'nt mean people can afford or willing to part with that kind of money for a games console. I can imagine people just thinking they will stick with the PS2 they already have, or a xbox360 so they can join the nextGen hype.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #21
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by Daggernite
The price is no dou bt worth it. Aint sony making a loss on each system? and thats mostly due to the blueray drive??

But just because its worth it from a technical point of view. Does'nt mean people can afford or willing to part with that kind of money for a games console. I can imagine people just thinking they will stick with the PS2 they already have, or a xbox360 so they can join the nextGen hype.
I promise you that Sony IS NOT making a loss on each system. If that was the case:

1) They wouldn't be selling it

2) They wouldn't have jacked upthe price to $600 a unit. I know that it doesn't cost that much to make these things.

The company is there to make profit, and if they have a product that is only costing them money they would no longer sell it in mass numbers. With the super high demand fopr these things, you can bet that they're making a nice peice of change for each unit sold.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #22
Promise_seeker
Regular User

for the price it better be worth it. Can't wait to play it in stores. Hope the delay allowed the game designers to use the machine to its fullest
Promise_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #23
McLaren4eVa
Regular User

Holy Fuck thats expensive hard choice to make, will it be worth it, ahh well i aint gonna buy an xbox thats for sure, 60GB one it is.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #24
Daggernite
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver

I promise you that Sony IS NOT making a loss on each system. If that was the case:

2) They wouldn't have jacked upthe price to $600 a unit. I know that it doesn't cost that much to make these things.

The company is there to make profit, and if they have a product that is only costing them money they would no longer sell it in mass numbers. With the super high demand fopr these things, you can bet that they're making a nice peice of change for each unit sold.
Are you sure? i know for a fact that xbox and xbox 360 both made losses on release, and im sure I read somewhere that the PS3 are making the biggest loss. It may seem stupid, and like you said, it would make no sense, after all there in there to make money. But they make a loss so they can sell more units, which means overall that more games will be sold, which then means sony get money because they take a profit from each game. Basically its not uncommon for microsoft or sony to take a loss on the system, to gain more in game sale percentages. I think it takes £900 to pruduce one ps3. Like I said this is only what Ive read somewhere, but it is more likely there lossing money on the system.

Just a quick Edit. This quote from a website explains the process better than I can. I just want to show that companys do sell products at a loss.

""It is normal for game companies to take a loss on hardware whenever a new console launches, since they typically focus on acquiring market share rather than generating a profit during the first year. During the second year and afterward, they can recover the losses with the savings that come from mass production and with licensing fees from publishers.

However, Merrill Lynch Japan warns that the normal console business cycle may be disrupted if Microsoft cuts the Xbox 360's price when the PlayStation 3 launches. The report goes on to say that such a move could hurt Sony's plans, bringing an additional loss of 80 billion yen ($730 million) in its second year and 50 billion yen ($457 million) in its third year. Thus far, Sony has already invested 200 billion yen ($1.83 billion) into development and production for the Cell chip alone.""

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/4727/
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #25
Toronto
Regular User

it is a blue ray player for under $500, you are really gettting a deal
Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #26
5vz-fe
Regular User

Are you sure? i know for a fact that xbox and xbox 360 both made losses on release, and im sure I read somewhere that the PS3 are making the biggest loss. It may seem stupid, and like you said, it would make no sense, after all there in there to make money. But they make a loss so they can sell more units, which means overall that more games will be sold, which then means sony get money because they take a profit from each game. Basically its not uncommon for microsoft or sony to take a loss on the system, to gain more in game sale percentages. I think it takes £900 to pruduce one ps3. Like I said this is only what Ive read somewhere, but it is more likely there lossing money on the system.

Just a quick Edit. This quote from a website explains the process better than I can. I just want to show that companys do sell products at a loss.

""It is normal for game companies to take a loss on hardware whenever a new console launches, since they typically focus on acquiring market share rather than generating a profit during the first year. During the second year and afterward, they can recover the losses with the savings that come from mass production and with licensing fees from publishers.

However, Merrill Lynch Japan warns that the normal console business cycle may be disrupted if Microsoft cuts the Xbox 360's price when the PlayStation 3 launches. The report goes on to say that such a move could hurt Sony's plans, bringing an additional loss of 80 billion yen ($730 million) in its second year and 50 billion yen ($457 million) in its third year. Thus far, Sony has already invested 200 billion yen ($1.83 billion) into development and production for the Cell chip alone.""

They calculated the price @ consumer buying the parts individually, but if u buy millions, the discount is FAT!! Plus, down the product life, hardware price will continue to drop (of course they also make price adjustments). No manufacture will have their product @ launch @ loss, they have to recover their developement cost you know.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #27
sentra_dude

The price is astronomical, more than some computers... I certainly won't be buying one of these brand new, like I did for the PS2. This better have some earth-shatteringly good graphics and physics.

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe

They calculated the price @ consumer buying the parts individually, but if u buy millions, the discount is FAT!! Plus, down the product life, hardware price will continue to drop (of course they also make price adjustments). No manufacture will have their product @ launch @ loss, they have to recover their developement cost you know.
There's no way around the fact that, even if you are Sony, a Blu-Ray player costs in excess of $400 to produce, so already $400 before you even take into account any of the graphics chips, or memory, or the hdd, or the controller, or anything else in the cost.

I've read it will cost Sony up to $800-$850 for each unit for the first few million units. Obviously, once they ramp up production the costs will come down, and Sony can start making a profit. But don't think they are even thinking about making a profit on the first units they sell, that's not how the industry works, all of the companies use this business model, and its been shown to work very well.

If Sony could make the price cheaper, they would, this is probably the most loss per unit they can afford. Its the usual business model for consoles...get that market share, and make up the losses with later console sales, and game royalties.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #28
Zot09
Regular User

Actually Coloradosilver, I believe Daggernite is correct when he says that Playstation will lose money with every single system they sell. Like Daggernite said, the profit is in the games and all the things that come along with it(royalties, accessories, etc).

Anyways, has anyone heard of any games that will be coming out for the PS3 besides GT5? It's pretty hard to justify spending $600 on a system just to play one single game, even though that is what I will probably do(Heck, i'm going to buy a 360 just to play Halo 3 and Forza 2).
Old 05-11-2006, 12:39 AM   #29
DeMoN
Regular User

And have you seen gt5? Graphics look like GT4 almost 100% same. Not worth it. No Lambo, no Ferrari, no Porsche and no visual improovements? Thats a retard move!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 AM   #30
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by Zot09
Actually Coloradosilver, I believe Daggernite is correct when he says that Playstation will lose money with every single system they sell. Like Daggernite said, the profit is in the games and all the things that come along with it(royalties, accessories, etc).
I wasn't just referring to the console. I was talking about the whole PS3 business. Games and all. After all, who would buy the system, but never buy any games for it? The whole video game industry is a HUGE money maker. They may take a hit if the only thing they sell was the console itself, but when you factor in the games, accessories, and other related products, you can bet the bank account will be well on the "plus" side.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote