Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
irrational_i
Regular User

Default 1970 Daytona drive

Well me and my friend went for a little drive in his 1970 Daytona yesterday after a rather disappointing GP.

Shots of the car (again) here:
Middle of page
and here with the 275.
Towards bottom of page

The first time I have been in the car since he replaced the standard (15X7.5") rear wheels with the wider (15X9.5?) optional wheels. No photos of that yet but it looks a lot better. The new wheels fill the arches nicely.

And I must say it was once again an amazing experience.
There is just something else realising you are in a 36 year old, 180mph supercar.
Its winter here and the car just started up with no issues at all.
Just that distinctive fuel-pump clatter before the powerful baritone V12 erupts into life.
The sound is not as tonal as the 275GTB/4, but you can hear the extra strength. This is a 4.4 liter V12 after all. You can hear the urgency build around 4000rpm though and watch the landscape start whooshing by.
As always the power is rather impressive. Changing gear has little effect on the acceleration. It pulls almost as strongly in 4th as it does in first.
You know its something special as amidst the whirring, clattering of the DOHCs and valves, doing 100mph in 5th the car just surges forward effortlessly with a firm shove in the back.
The owner says it feels the same all the way up to around 140mph when acceleration finally starts tapering off.

And you wonder - what is the point of all the new Ferraris. This all-sensory experience can not be beaten (Except by the 275GTB/4 of course). Sure the brakes are not that great
and the seatbelts are a mere afterthought, but taking sweeping bends just make you forget all that. The daytona stays firmly planted with almost no body roll at all. And in tighter, hairpin off and on ramps to the highway it is a mere matter of throttle control to make the back step out.
Its all just so easy - no drama whatsoever.

It was great fun watching the modern hatchback drivers faces in the rearview mirrors as we almost overtake them in a drift amidst some protesting tyre noise. 8D

So sunday left me with a smile on my face after all. I may still not love the looks of the Daytona, but it is still a very, very special and awesome experience that no amount of M3/M5/AMG merc overpowered saloon can ever approach.

My friend also owned a 512BB that he sold, because he had to force himself to drive it, the Daytona always just being the natural choice when going anywhere.

Driving back home in my Porsche it, as usual, just felt that little bit disappointing. I already miss that classic Ferari V12 sound and feel and smell.
I am already looking forward to the next trip.
Maybe I can convince him to take the 275 out again next weekend. 8)

I am very willing to admit I must be a very. very lucky person to have a friend like this - since its unlikely I'll ever be able to afford these cars.
Bliss.
irrational_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
RAMMIUS
Regular User

Nice story man.

Looks nice in yellow , although not my favourite colour for this model
Old 05-15-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
yg60m
Regular User

Beautiful cars Thanks mate.
But who makes the 4 cams conversion for the 275 on the top of the page ? I find it quite weird to modify and engine like this one
Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
irrational_i
Regular User

That car belongs to David Cottingham AFAIK.
A few people seem to do it. I am actually not a 100% certain its a 4-cam modification, but it definitely has velocity stacks on the carbs and a 4-cam bonnet.
It was a few years ago and I did not ask all specific details of the car. Just know its a 2-cam originally and was also repainted in the Maranello concessionaires colour scheme.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

Fantastic write-up ... the Daytona is one of my favorites .... fabulous combination ofl beauty and brawn

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
cooperluke
Regular User

Nice machines!!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
stradale
Regular User

Great story, irrational_i!! It felt a bit like I was there.

Must be amazing to drive cars like that. You're very lucky indeed!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
lorbmw69
Regular User

what's wrong with the hoop fitment of the daytona? near the wind shield on the passengers side there is a huge gap. small accident?

1995 Saab 900 Turbo
lorbmw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Everlasting
Regular User

beautiful machines!
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #10
irrational_i
Regular User

Originally Posted by lorbmw69
what's wrong with the hoop fitment of the daytona? near the wind shield on the passengers side there is a huge gap. small accident?
lol!
No. He leaves the bonnet unlatched as he disconnects the battery whenever he is not driving the car. 8)