Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > 5th Gear Discussion

Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
Toronto
Regular User

Default 5th Gear's cheap shots @ Top Gear getting annoying?

grow, they are like little kids,
not only are THEY the ones that copy the other, they are the only ones pulling this cheap shots in every episode

they will never be better then top gear IMO, but they have their own high poits and should keep to them rather then trying to copy top gear everyear.

anyone else getting annoyed with these?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Evo
Regular User

I really want their show to be good I try to like it because of tiff and Vicky. But don't know why thy are a bit ....... I can't really put my finger on it but their is something wrong.. Maybe they are trying to hard to beat Top gear.. Maybe tiff is not a natural presenter but I know for sure he is a natural driver.. and they should stop 2 thing making reference of top gear on their show as they did with the 4th episode with michael and they should stop with that stupid crash test thing..
Old 11-01-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Anonymous

Have to agree, they just don't get humour IMO, top gear have the odd offhand dig once in a blue moon, fifth gear are doing in to regularly now and none of them are comedians :roll:
Old 11-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
Blip
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo
I really want their show to be good I try to like it because of tiff and Vicky. But don't know why thy are a bit ....... I can't really put my finger on it but their is something wrong.. Maybe they are trying to hard to beat Top gear.. Maybe tiff is not a natural presenter but I know for sure he is a natural driver.. and they should stop 2 thing making reference of top gear on their show as they did with the 4th episode with michael and they should stop with that stupid crash test thing..
Yes there is something strange about fifth gear. It feels different. Maybe the producer and camera people are not as good as on Top gear. the new series is much better though. I don't think they should try to compete with Top Gear instead they should make use of the excellent driving talents; Tiff and VBH. The old top gear from the 90's where Tiff used to drive everything was amazing.

I like the comedy style of JC but he is changing top gear to make get more audience (more non-car enthusiast audience). Which is bad for us. The star in a reasonably priced car is entertaining but I would rather watch any car going round a track than some music celebrity who can't drive.

anyway it's probably better if they don't try to copy from each other so we have 2 unique to watch.

Drive it like you stole it !
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
racer_f50
Regular User

yep, the copying and constant cheap shots are definitely annoying. Even getting Schumacher in on it is just stupid and childish. pretty obvious that they're quite jealous of Top Gear's success and production quality, so they're always trying to rip off their ideas and most of it is pretty obvious. I still enjoy the show, but I wish they'd find some more unique ideas besides the shoot-outs and crash tests.

Sure, Clarkson might have made one or two small jokes about it in the past couple seasons (only one that i can really remember, when someone asked him his favorite gear), but for the most part those 3 just fool around and put on a good show
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
As I've said more than once, having three good drivers as they have - Vicky, Tiff and Plato - they should concentrate in what they do better - TRACK action.

Testing racing cars, testing hardcore sports cars like the Exige of the CSL, Radicals, Caterhams, rallye cars, Plato's Seat Toledo BTCC...

Forget the crash tests, forget Jon Bentley, forget the headquarters... just go to Anglesey, build something like TG's hangar... and concentrate in that - testing cars at the track.
Werd 8)

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
gobs3z
Regular User

The jokes are all in good fun, and there is no competition since they are in totally different seasons. I think the jokes between JC and Tiff are more relevant though since they have a great past together, and since they follow each other fairly closely. We're still going to watch the show no matter what, and if it doesn't bother Top Gear then i don't give a rats ass. You also have to realize that 5th gear will always be overshadowed by Top Gear, and they really are trying to make do with what they are given without always being compared to the almighty Top Gear show.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

it does get annoying... like a successful former employee trying to get back at the BBC for cancelling a great show; but 8 seasons on... its quite old :roll:

i actually prefer Tiff to Jezza most of the time... and it was sooo great when they were together; where one counter-balanced the other; a ying-yang review style. that doesnt exist now in TG, nor in 5th gear.

i think it would be great if 5th gear HQ was actually at Anglesy, and they could muster up the sportscars of the world to run through the tests... but I cannot stress the sweetness enough the benefits of an airfield! where else can you be an ABSOLUTE hooligan on 4 wheels? cirtainly not on anglesee... although you can do some hooliganisms; its not 'unrestricted' but definately gives an idea of how the car performs and handles much better then an empty airfield.

that is why 5th gear and top gear need each other; as separate as they are, they definately need eachother for their stylized reviews.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #9
CMonakar
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
5th Gear is just an irritating show altogether. the only thing good about it is Jason Plato......and Tom Ford can be funny sometimes.

Vicki is a fat irritating ho....and Tiff is just a nerd...he's a good driver though.
Agreed. I think Plato is the most balanced presenter out of everyone in the two shows. He is a great driver, his commentary is insightful, and he has a good sense of humor that even non car enthusiasts can appreciate.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:45 PM   #10
Johns
Regular User

I have to say that Tiff doesnt seem interested anymore in reviewing cars. Every year it goes down the hill! I dont think he lost the passion. Comparing his early years to now, its starting to suck!!
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:05 AM   #11
AlienDB7
Regular User

Originally Posted by ccarlisi
Originally Posted by everso
5th Gear is just an irritating show altogether. the only thing good about it is Jason Plato......and Tom Ford can be funny sometimes.

Vicki is a fat irritating ho....and Tiff is just a nerd...he's a good driver though.
Agreed. I think Plato is the most balanced presenter out of everyone in the two shows. He is a great driver, his commentary is insightful, and he has a good sense of humor that even non car enthusiasts can appreciate.
I wish they bring Driven back. I liked Jason on Driven alot more than 5th Gear... I think its style is more suitable for 5th Gear.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:19 AM   #12
htfaber
Regular User

I'm sorry if I miss the point completely but I love 5th Gear!
Sure Top Gear is good in a producing and commentating way with Clarkson, but the way 5th Gear DRIVES cars is fantastic! The reaction of Jason after driving the Zonda F and Tiff and Vicky after the BMW F1 vs M5 contest.....I just loved it.

And those jokes about Top Gear....I think the Top Gear and 5th Gear crew talk to each other often enough to just tease each other with those sort of jokes. If it were real they would probably not say it.

Well, my conclusion is that its great to have two car shows that are so good!
Old 11-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #13
Anonymous

Originally Posted by htfaber

And those jokes about Top Gear....I think the Top Gear and 5th Gear crew talk to each other often enough to just tease each other with those sort of jokes. If it were real they would probably not say it.
Well put it this way, tiff drove in both stars in fast cars and a recent charity carting event organised by jeremy, don't think things are that bad between them, just 5th gear are making references to often now, just boring and cringe worthy
Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #14
Shinigami
Regular User

I don't like Vicky... Tiff is cool tho'. Hammond reminds me of Tiff from time to time.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:18 PM   #15
911GT1
Regular User

The only thing that makes me watch 5th gear is tiff. He's a great guy, colourfull at times, very good driver (much better than any top gear presenters incl stig but thats just my opinion) and likeable. If somehow they manage to replace the stig with tiff, other car programs can just pack up.