Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > 5th Gear Discussion

Old 10-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Jabba
Regular User

Default Your opinions on the new 5th gear format.

First....I could tell immediately that they were going to have a serious attempt at taking on Top Gear with the way the Aston Martin feature was filmed. The camera angles and location had a real Top Gear feel to them IMO...not quite there yet...but a massive step in the right direction.

Then we have the "office HQ setup" obviously an attempt to take on the Top Gear hanger idea....I was actually embarrassed by this and could do nothing but cringe...absolutely piss poor attempt at copying an original and great idea...and is simply awful...the cups didn't even have coffee in them...and the whole setup was incredibly false....felt really cheap and kinda lonely in a sad way in there....I felt like ringing the samaritans after viewing this part of the show..0/10

The "shoot out board" more copying and equally as cheap, tacky and horrible...I hate people that copy and also make piss poor inferior versions.

VBH...getting old and haggard...really nasty looking beast these days...only fit for the knackers yard....isn't it time we change her in for a new model please ? Even her mum is better looking these days...also the track is still a bit of a joke.

Second part of the plato Ford GT was quite good...a big improvement here that briefly had TWO Ford GT's I think for the first time ever...they kinda beat Top Gear on something.

All in all a much better show except for the terrible "office" setup and trying to copy Top Gear and making a cheap shit job of it.

Lets hope they continue to improve as the TEN part series goes on.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
FER355

I didn't like vicki's blond hair.. it made her look like a cheap $5 whore IMO
also I have no idea how she squeezed her chubby ass into Schumachers F1 seat but I was seriously expecting it to break when she did

as for the new style.. the office thing just looked totally false and unnatural, and although they went to an hour show they wasted most of it in an aeroplane !
Old 10-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Anonymous

haha i agree on the office part, early on with the self concious looking bald bloke in the background on the computer it made me cringe, atleast you would have cheered the samaratans up if you had of called, bit of a break from the norm AMV8 was a great feature which somehow was left unfinished really, but well atleast there was less time filling with competitions and boring features. Auction was ok, nice cars to drool over but pretty boring not being their in the flesh

As for vicki, crap hair but well if she offered it on a plate i still would
For the Plato feature, he lacks the personality to do anything other than drive well really IMO, some skilled driving and an ok feature really just lacked the entertainment factor in the plane :bah:

Overall Not TG standard but a step in the right direction, as i said in the other thread ditch the office and link in a studio with nice cars in or something, anything is better than baldy

oh and isn't the shootout board a mockery anyway, with 2 drivers, should be kept in pairs of cars really, we assume it is always the same Stig on top gear, certainly apart from 2 occasions it always was when perry mcCarthy was the stig, who knows if it still is, or even who it is!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
Jabba
Regular User

Yeh that shoot out board....surely they must realise what an embarrassment it is compared to the Top Gear one.

And why do they always have to have a damn competition with a stupid question...hmm £1 per min premium rate phone call perhaps ??
Old 10-10-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

oh man.. sad to hear that they're trying to be like Top Gear so badly...

still can't wait to see the first episode though!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Jabba
Regular User

About two hours to go
Old 10-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
Anonymous

Originally Posted by Jabba
Yeh that shoot out board....surely they must realise what an embarrassment it is compared to the Top Gear one.

And why do they always have to have a damn competition with a stupid question...hmm £1 per min premium rate phone call perhaps ??
still got to have thousands of morons calling just to break even, where do they all come from how much does a decent DB7 cost 40-50K? max still thats a hefty wedge to make just from those calls!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

* Set count down to about 2 hours *

i guess i can stop refreshing every 10 mins
Old 10-10-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
Jabba
Regular User

Yes thats what I thought...I guess they know what they are doing though. Why waste 6 grand on that seat as well ?? and then stick it in the corner...would have been better spent on putting something in those cups LOL.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
oh man.. sad to hear that they're trying to be like Top Gear so badly...

still can't wait to see the first episode though!
Have you checked out all the 5th gear features on the front page yet ?
Old 10-11-2005, 02:33 AM   #11
AlienDB7
Regular User

The new 5th Gear format feels kinda odd, things dont seem to work well together. What's with the chat after the feature, that's a complete rip off of the Top Gear studio chat but in an unnatural way!

Overall, it's an improvement from the older 5th Gear. Much better camera work, still can't match Top Gear's though.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

the new format is easily a 200% improvement... mabey more. the show focused almost entirely on some great non-practical cars, and i absolutely loved not seeing any notion of pracicallity
i cant say i look forward to all of the goofy crashes, but its something thats become a staple of 5th gear, and some of them are definately some good fun to see. the 5th gear HQ discussion seems very very farm from natural, but not terrible either, i still see it as an improvement. im not so sure what all those people in the background are doing :roll:
shoot out: well, Tiff wanted a proper race track tests... to bad its not just one driver (id be satisfied with Tiff, or Jason... but not as much with VBH... the) its a total TG rip, but is right to be more satisfied with it then an airstrip.

DAMN THE CONTESTS! enough already :roll: nice aston tho

all in all, 5th gear may be in its 8th season, but it immediately feels like an infant growing to something much much better... cheers to em overall
Old 10-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #13
racer_f50
Regular User

I had pretty high hopes when I started watching the first episode, but they were pretty much crushed throughout. these guys need some lessons on using time wisely, because honestly I was bored through half of it. The constant digs meant for Top Gear have been getting annoying as well in the past couple series, I would've hoped they'd grown up enough to quit that. I agree with most of you that their HQ is a blatant attempt at ripping off Top Gear, and it only backfired on them since it's just cheap and awkward. Really makes you realize how small their budget must be beyond getting cars, and it's just sad how they try to make it seem all special and great.

Hopefully they can improve their time use and quality issues for the next shows, though, it definitely has more potential now 8)
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #14
gangajas
Regular User

I think it's great, they don't have stupid features like TG has, and the stars are the cars not the presenters.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #15
Fleischmann
Regular User

I gotta say this episode is a major improvement on the earlier seasons. The camera work is much better, similair to that of Top GEar. however I don;t like the fact how they rip off every idea from Top Gear and also the way the presenters try to act funny (apart from Tom, he's cool ).