Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Manik890
Regular User

Default First serious camera

Hey guys, I posted a bit here I while back when I had my site up and running. I've shut it down since and now, lately, I', thinking of bringing it back up.

I was shooting with a Fujifilm E900 during the time span of the site, it was my first camera step up from the basic $200 cameras my family always used. It offered a few manual modes and helped me learn a lot about photography. But now, I've been interested with a better range of camera, a more serious one.

I searched some reviews and visited a few local retailers and got some good advice, most people preffered Canon and Nikon, so I have narrowed my search vagualy into these two brands.

I'm looking for something that gives good quality images with minimum noise, as I have had problems with noise in the past, which is why I am mentioning it. But yeah, Its a fairly broad request but those are the things most important to me.

I've started to become interested in the Canon 350d and 400d models, based on the countless positive reviews. AS far as I understand the 350d was a revolutionary camera and 400d is essentially the same camera updated with more features. As well as the Nikon D40, although I don't know much about the D40.

Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm looking for something in the $500 to a $800 maximum range. Also I checked out a few offers on eBay, they brag about multiple lenses and a mem card. But after checking out the leneses, on the really cheap offers, such as 3 lenses a 2 gig card and a 400d body for $790 all seem to have tamron lenses. But I'm unsure of the quality of tamron, as I dont plan on buying new lenses very often.

I came here to ask for advice because TT helped give me advice on my site and photography originally and the forums here seem to have many skilled photographers. Once again, any advice on a good quality camera and bundled lens setup would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Manik890
Regular User

Anybody?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
Ghostbat
Regular User

The new Canon EOS 450D seems like a very good buy.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...50dchanges.asp
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
harryo2b
Regular User

Originally Posted by Manik890 View Post
Anybody?
Put your money into the glass!!! Most all bodies from Nikon or Canon will provide a amateur an excellent platform to get accustomed to photography but a kit lens or equivelant on the camera can greatly limit the image and the photographer. By investing in some good glass you will notice a great difference at full resolution over the consumer lenses.

For example i stared out with the Canon 17-85 IS, which i still use, as my first lens. Excellent lens for walk around and beginner on a 30D but when i had a bit of cash saved up and more experience with the camera i threw down on the newest 70-200 4L IS and was blown away by the image quality and how superior it was from contrast to color over the 17-85. Get the newest/best body you can afford and budget for a good lens to start out with along with a Hoya or B&W filter to protect the glass. Don't try to get everything at once as you will end up wanting to replace it later. Those eBay packages aren't worth it in my opinion.
Check out B&H photo.com or beachcamera.com (no affiliation) I have bought all my equipment from them and couldn't be happier!

2006 Porsche Boxster S/Atlas Grey Metallic/Black/Black/6 spd
Canon 30D/17-85 IS/70-200 4L IS/580EXII/430EX/B+W Filters
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
Manik890
Regular User

Thanks harry02b, I appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Smartdriver
Regular User

Sorry Manik890, I see this post anly now!
So, like harryo2b isn't so important to chose Canon or Nikon (but I'm a Canon fan..), but is important to buy a good lens.
To start, camera like 350d or 400D are great. They have many functions and allow you to using a reflex. They have the advantage of not cost much and providing good images. Find camera used but in good condition may be a good idea to save money and invest them in a better lens. Canon has a good lens, but those professional, Series L, are another level.
The fact is that cost a lot but personally worth every penny!
Before chose a costly lens, it would be good to understand that angle shot uses more often, if your photos are often with little light, etc., in order to take the right lens.
However, with 2 zoom usually you can cover most of the distances needed.
Usually zooms go by 17-40/55 mm for the wide angle, and 70-200/300 mm for the long zoom.
Optical stabilized, bright (f2.8) and equipped with fast engines (usm) are usually winning to be able to take photos in all conditions, even to gatherings of the car or races

www.italiansupercar.net --- My first website about modern and classic supercars
www.smartdriver.it --- My Car Enthusiast website about Smart
Smartdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
harryo2b
Regular User

Manik, what will be the primary subject of your photography? Will help determine lenses. If you want the fastest/sharpest images you will want a Prime lens over Zoom/Telephoto.

2006 Porsche Boxster S/Atlas Grey Metallic/Black/Black/6 spd
Canon 30D/17-85 IS/70-200 4L IS/580EXII/430EX/B+W Filters
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Nettoyeur
Regular User

I myself is a Nikon guy. How about the Nikon D40x or the new D60? (not out yet) All large sellers seems to have a camera packages and why not start with that. Canon or Nikon? Both are excellent cameras. If you have friends with cameras, ask them what they think, borrow it a day maybe. Try them out how they feel and fit in you hand. (The D40 feels to small for me).
If you got really nice friends you can borrow lenses too, when you have your own camera.
Some shops even let you borrow a camera over the weekend to try it out. Just ask.

As a starter I would go for Zoom lenses. After a while you can always change and upgrade your lenses, when you know what you want (and get some more cash, because they are more expensive).
The one I use mostly is a 18-70mm lens. That or a 18-100/135 would be a great start I think.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Smartdriver
Regular User

As a starter I would go for Zoom lenses. After a while you can always change and upgrade your lenses, when you know what you want (and get some more cash, because they are more expensive).
The one I use mostly is a 18-70mm lens. That or a 18-100/135 would be a great start I think.

Good luck.[/quote]

I can't help you about Nikon, but Nikkor 18-200 VR, for price is a winning lens. And is olso good in all range. And it's a Optical stabilized

www.italiansupercar.net --- My first website about modern and classic supercars
www.smartdriver.it --- My Car Enthusiast website about Smart
Smartdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #10
Manik890
Regular User

Sorry guys for the slow reply, the wireless network was acting up and we had to get a new reciever or whatever its called. But yeah, I checked up on a few lenses, and kept pushing up my budget until I was looking at the L series range. Than it hit me that I was a beginner, lol, so I went out I got a 350D as well as a 28-80mm, and a 75-300mm, both by Tamron. I really didn't know what to expect after taking the first few photos. But after checking them out on the computer, I was more than impressed.

I am very pleased with my setup, as it's a hell of an improvement over my digital camera.

AT Harryo2b: I plan to shoot a good mix of things, from my family's ski trips, to car sightings, hockey games, racing, portraits, you name it.

And I intend to use these lenses to teach me the fundamentals of photography, as currently, at my photographic skill level, I don't see a need to go out a spend extra money on professional lenses.

I will be sure to check back here to post some sightings and such.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.