Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 11-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #16
philip
Regular User

A long while back a professional photographer took a photo that a company wanted to use in a national add. He had already been paid to take the photo, but the copyright did not extend to this other company. He asked $700 for his permission to release the photo for their use. Instead the company hired another photographer for $250 to take the same exact photo again.

So if you price your photography too high, there is always some one else who will take the photographs for less. If your photographs are unique and not easily replaceable, obviously you can charge more. The excellent pictures from the French Quarter is an example. Here however it is not for a national add campaign, just some guys who would like to see what they looked like in their Ferraris for their scrap books or personal web page. So I would think some small nominal charge would be typical as I would want to get in their good graces and you may get more rides next year.

I would give them a CD and let them do the printing. You may want to put a small watermark on the photos in photoshop so you can retain the ownership in case Ferrari USA discovers the photos and just has to use one.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #17
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
Originally Posted by TT
IMO, since this is afterall just side income and not really needed to "survive", it's wiser to ask a lower price and be sure they won't turn to somebody else rather than trying to gain more money and maybe loose an opportunity... maybe it's just me
Exactly how I feel, there are some nice things that could come out of becoming known to this guy and the business he is starting.
Its nice to earn something out of it Dingo, but do be honest the hobby and pleasure come first, then the business bit.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #18
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by philip
A long while back a professional photographer took a photo that a company wanted to use in a national add. He had already been paid to take the photo, but the copyright did not extend to this other company. He asked $700 for his permission to release the photo for their use. Instead the company hired another photographer for $250 to take the same exact photo again.

So if you price your photography too high, there is always some one else who will take the photographs for less. If your photographs are unique and not easily replaceable, obviously you can charge more. The excellent pictures from the French Quarter is an example. Here however it is not for a national add campaign, just some guys who would like to see what they looked like in their Ferraris for their scrap books or personal web page. So I would think some small nominal charge would be typical as I would want to get in their good graces and you may get more rides next year.

I would give them a CD and let them do the printing. You may want to put a small watermark on the photos in photoshop so you can retain the ownership in case Ferrari USA discovers the photos and just has to use one.
Very good point, I was thinking of making the prints and depending on how big, charging maybe 1.5x or 2x the cost of printing it, I don't think that's too much.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #19
stmoritzer
Regular User

Just sold my first picture !!!

somebody wants to organize a F meeting next year and was looking for some nice photos, and to make the story short, I sold them this picture of a 348

300CHF ~200Euros (to let them print some invitations and make 1000 posters)

about prizes: got this interesting link of a swiss "copyright"-company dealing with all kind of media
and they have listed prizes for posters, calendars, postcards, videos,...... !

main pages are in 4 languages (german, frenchm, italian & english)
http://www.prolitteris.ch/set.asp?go=/wis/&lang=e

the pdf listing all kind of prizes is only available in the three main languages of Switzerland

here's the german version
http://www.prolitteris.ch/imad/pdfd/bildd.pdf

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:03 AM   #20
stmoritzer
Regular User

same for germany
http://www.bildkunst.de/

prizes
http://www.bildkunst.de/html/pdf/Tarifealle2.PDF

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
Old 11-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #21
stmoritzer
Regular User

^they are organising a F event ( don't know much about it, since a event-company is looking for a advertismnet cpmpany, which make the ads for another company, confusing , where some F's are around, but no supercars (they asked for some 348, 355, TR, 360 pics first, no Enzo of F40 ), then they asked for a 348 pic -> pics of a 348 are quite rare (I've more parking pictures, but hardly any nice driving ones) .

Old 11-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #22
dingo
Regular User

Congrats mate.....it is a nice feeling to be paid for doing something you love, its becoming more and more common now for me so hopefully one day it will be my main income.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #23
stmoritzer
Regular User

^ so you aiming to be a carphotographer in the future ?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 AM   #24
sentra_dude

Great work stmoritzer! Its a cool feeling to sell one of your pictures, and that is really good to have 1000+ of your picture floating around now. Although, like Dani said, you have much better pics than this! Hopefully they will buy more pics from you in the future.

I recently closed a deal, 7 pictures sold, for a very modest price. Now I'm waiting to hear back from him, he wants to do a photoshoot with his other Ferrari, I hope he doesn't forget!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:29 AM   #25
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

nice! congrats! :good:

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #26
dingo
Regular User

I just wanted to dig this up again….

Slightly different situation, I have just got an email from a major USA car magazine (one of the few I’ve heard) and they want to use a couple of my photos to print in the magazine. Now this is different to the situation earlier in this topic since its an established brand with a worldwide audience – he wants to know what I will charge them for reprint rates per photo.

Thoughts, ideas?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #27
stmoritzer
Regular User

Great news dingo !

all I have about copyright prizes,... I already posted above, the two links to the german and Swiss "copyright-organisation". This could give you an idea
Even if in german, you should be able to get some infos. Else don't know much about magazine prizes.

Good Luck!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #28
nthfinity
Regular User

Slightly different situation, I have just got an email from a major USA car magazine (one of the few I’ve heard) and they want to use a couple of my photos to print in the magazine. Now this is different to the situation earlier in this topic since its an established brand with a worldwide audience – he wants to know what I will charge them for reprint rates per photo.

Thoughts, ideas?
cover the costs associated with those images (drive time or distance+ time at the job, + something extra for the artist in you) as to what that is... think of an hourly rate maybe? and then that is the solid numerical value?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #29
acknot
Regular User

Ask them to make you an offer first, then use that as your absolute bottom plus expenses and such.

I used to do then when i was in school. Make sure to write a simple contract granting them the use of your images for this or that purpose. Later on, you might want to sell the same images to someone else. But don't come dragging a ten page release form - I saw a pro do this once, and the company were so offended they bought my images in stead right there and then
acknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #30
acmarttin
Regular User

Thoughts, ideas?
If it will help you out any I could e-mail an old professor of mine from art school who is still a professional (celebrity) photographer. It may not be exactly the same racket but I'm sure he could offer some useful info to pass along to you. He still sells lots and lots of photos and I'm sure he's familiar enough with the process that he could give you an idea of what American magazines expect to pay for photos.

I'll pm you my e-mail address - not that I don't trust any JW members I just don't want to get spam from bots :x