Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 02-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Toronto
Regular User

Default Oliver Stone's - World Trade Center (the movie)

don't know why they are making this, i guess to get everyones hopes up about iraq or somthing stupid like that. or maybe firemen stopped getting all the ladies they wanted (joking)

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22444
staring nic cage?

Old 02-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
blinkmeat
Regular User

Yay Nick Cage

Yay Oliver Stone

blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
Mattk
Regular User

Only in America would someone make such a movie. Probably some excessively emotional and patriotic film.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:39 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
Only in America would someone make such a movie. Probably some excessively emotional and patriotic film.
You probably didn't mean that to come across the way it did - "Flight 93" has already aired and it was a very well done movie.

It was quite accurate and made with full co-operaiton for the families, the FAA, the military and the airlines.

These types of stories MUST be told - unless you want the type of mayhem, chaos and murder that the middle east exports to become your daily life as well.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
Mattk
Regular User

Yeh, apologies if that sounded a bit dodgy. What I really mean is that its emotional appeal lies mainly with the Americans due to the overt patriotism precipitated by the theme of the film. I don't think people from other countries would be too interested in this film, certainly not a country like Australia, where we think putting hands on hearts during the national anthem is a bit weird.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
I don't think people from other countries would be too interested in this film, certainly not a country like Australia, where we think putting hands on hearts during the national anthem is a bit weird.
I take it then thast when you see the live video of the jetliners crashing into the buildings and exploding you don't fieel a thing?

You perhaps have ben desensitisec by modern movies and don't realise it is not special effects but actually the visual of 1000 people dieing in an instant.

You have seen the footage of the jets ploughing into the buildings - right?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Banchi105
Regular User

We all lived through it. We know what happened.

Quit the profit-seeking motives here and make these movies in 30 years when our kids need to be shown what happened. (Like Titanic / Pearl Harbor / Saving Private Ryan / ect)

I will not be seeing any of these movies. I'd rather watch a documentary on the history channel if I wished to be refreshed on the events that took place...

:roll: :roll:
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Banchi105

Quit the profit-seeking motives here and make these movies in 30 years when our kids need to be shown what happened. (Like Titanic / Pearl Harbor / Saving Private Ryan / ect)

I will not be seeing any of these movies. I'd rather watch a documentary on the history channel if I wished to be refreshed on the events that took place...

What profit motive? I don't know about you, but a "TV" movie doesn't cost me anything to watch?

And where are you complaining about the "Pearl Habour, Private Ryan" profit motives.

Again - the story needs to be told and kept fresh in everyones mind.

You need to be reminded that a 1000 people were turned into red mush in a instant as 2 planes were flown into civilian buildings.

If your profile is correct, you were a 15 year old pimply nintendo kid when it happened.. as 5 years is a 1/4 of your life span - you are an example of who needs to be reminded of what you are up against.

Unless you feel it was just another story on the news in between your watching M-TV.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
LotusGT1
Regular User

It's not like Oliver Stone is producing this movie for preserverance of history. And I do get his point when he says some of these movies typically end up in overglorifying patriotism and victory. Let's just hope this one remains true to reality and it will be a valuable addition to movie history.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

He producing this movie because it is topical and relevant - good business sense - and because it is the right movie to produce.

This has been true for many of his and other peoples movies.

Strange how no one was bitching about any movies made to preserve the story behind the 3/11 and 7/7 attacks.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
Banchi105
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

What profit motive? I don't know about you, but a "TV" movie doesn't cost me anything to watch?

And where are you complaining about the "Pearl Habour, Private Ryan" profit motives.

You need to be reminded that a 1000 people were turned into red mush in a instant as 2 planes were flown into civilian buildings.

If your profile is correct, you were a 15 year old pimply nintendo kid when it happened.. as 5 years is a 1/4 of your life span - you are an example of who needs to be reminded of what you are up against.

Unless you feel it was just another story on the news in between your watching M-TV.
Did you even read what I wrote??? :roll:
I was promoting movies such as Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, ect. for introducing younger generations to our nations history.

Yeah, I'm quite the MTV fan... (as a matter of fact I don't even own a TV - I couldn't really care less...)

Quit with the personal attacks and attempt to engage in a productive discussion.

It is possible discuss issues with people of differing viewpoints without constantly attacking them personally. :roll:
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

Did you even read what I wrote??? :roll:
I was promoting movies such as Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, ect. for introducing younger generations to our nations history.

Yeah, I'm quite the MTV fan... (as a matter of fact I don't even own a TV - I couldn't really care less...)

Quit with the personal attacks and attempt to engage in a productive discussion.

It is possible discuss issues with people of differing viewpoints without constantly attacking them personally. :roll:
What personal attack?

You were a 15 year old kid when the WTC were attacked.

A full 1/4 of your lifespan has passed since then - you need reminding of the events.

The "in 30 years when our kids" comment is the one you should reread... That squarely places you as the target audience.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
LotusGT1
Regular User

He producing this movie because it is topical and relevant - good business sense - and because it is the right movie to produce.

This has been true for many of his and other peoples movies.

Strange how no one was bitching about any movies made to preserve the story behind the 3/11 and 7/7 attacks.
Oh, I couldn't care now or in the past, it's more that I vaguely understand where he was getting at. Has nothing to do with 9/11, 3/11 or 7/7 for all I care.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

You were a 15 year old kid when the WTC were attacked.

A full 1/4 of your lifespan has passed since then - you need reminding of the events.

The "in 30 years when our kids" comment is the one you should reread... That squarely places you as the target audience.
a full 1/4 of your life span has passed since then, and my terms, about 5 years. I sure as hell do not need a remind of the events of 9/11. They are clearly imprinted in my mind. I can remember the day my school was locked down and we couldnt leave the classroom like it was yesturday.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
I don't think you should presume, that someone is younger then you and was a kid at the time, that he doesn't remember the events that occured as clearly as you.

A 15 year old kid isn't a 5 month old kid that in a few years he'd forget the things that have hapened. Not to mention the constant reminders of that event. The Iraq war as well as other numerous events have been connected to 9/11 and that has been mentioned every time.
You were 12..