Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
ikon2003
Regular User

Default From Hawaii to Hong Kong: My Photo Highlights

My photography highlights from 2005 through 2007. I've been lucky enough to do some great traveling, and I've been hauling around my 20D to most of the places. Locations include Hawaii, Nicaragua, Western Canada, East-Coast USA, Holland, UAE, France, Tanzania, South East Asia, China... probably some others that I'm forgetting.

2007 Highlights:
http://crumpton.princeton.edu/Person...ighs/index.htm

2005-6 Highlights:
http://crumpton.princeton.edu/Person...5-06/index.htm

I've taken over 50,000 photos (mostly action photography of sports games) since acquiring my camera in mid2005. The above albums are my "highlights" but if you want to see a couple of my personal favs from the above albums, i've posted some on imageshack:

Fav Landscape: Kilimanjaro Summit. I have some more 'traditionally beautiful' landscapes on my site, but this one is very ethereal and abstract. It's a sunrise on top of the mountain, 5,800m above sea level. Bloody Cold.

Fav Architecture: This was a tossup. I like these two a whole lot tho...The Esplanade & The Petronas Towers. They're both close ups, and quite abstract, since you might not know what you're looking at unless someone told you:

There were some cool ones from China, and a few bridge shots in Holland that I really like too...it was a close call

Favorite Wildlife Pic: Selous Lioness. A smaller, less touristy park in Tanzania, this place was actually better in many respects. As this photo shows, you could get really close to the wildlife. This pic was after she took down a wildebeest, and I was able to snap this shot during the split second she made eye contact with me. Taken @ 500mm.
(i don't know why, but imageshack isn't working for this pic: here's the direct link)
http://crumpton.princeton.edu/Personal-Pix/2007-Highlighs/Lioness%20-%20Selous%20(3).JPG

Fav Car Pics: These two photoshopped images from NYIAS 2007 might be my favorites. I like the manipulated black & white....

Lucky 8 Skyline: this has a cool story behind it. I was walking at night in hong kong, and this skyline pulls round the corner and right in front of me into this parking garage. my camera was in my hand, down by my side...i didn't even have time to lift it up for the shot...i just pressed the shutter a couple times without even looking, and this one came out framed quite well, especially from the low angle. and about the license plate....8 is a lucky number in chinese culture, and since you can pay to have your license customized, this person maxed out the 8's. chinese pay as much as $10,000 to get 'lucky' license plates.

Links to the two NYIAS albums are posted in another thread of mine...
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55044

Fav Studio Shots: "Edgerton's Ballon" has gotten the best reception from peers & critics; I did this one in my shower last year....took a few tries to get it right hehe. The "Window to the Soul" is a personal favorite...

One thing I've discovered tho is that often the shots I like, others think are 'meh.' And vice versa...the work I'm less proud of is often really well received by others. So feel free to peruse my albums linked above, all on my private server. (I run the server from my dorm room tho, so these pics will only be online until June, when I move out.....) Hopefully you'll find something interesting...
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
styla21
Regular User

Love the shot of the Petronas towers... Wow.
Great work Ikon.