Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 02-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
TransAm
Regular User

Default Can you recommend any xbox or ps2 driving games?

First off, I have got

GT, GT2, GT3, GT4, TOCA Race Driver 2, Burnout 3, Enthusia (PS2)

CMR04, PGR2, Forza (XBox)

Out of them all I like GT4, Forza and TOCA Race Driver 2 the most, for different reasons. I don't like PGR2 really although it's ok.

Things I find important in these types of games are graphics, AI, number of opponents, playability, number of cars to choose from.

Are there any other games worth buying?

I'm not really into F1, but touring cars would be ok, something with the scope of TOCA Race Driver 2 would be great but I dont think there is much else like it, covers almost every genre.

Some games I have seen on the shelves are

Ford Racing
Corvette 50th Anniversary
Pro Race Driver (codemasters)
Sega GT 2002
Ridge Racer (I have played this on PS1 a lot but found it too arcadey)
Test Drive (with a pic of a charger doing a jump on the front)
Auto Modellista (looks a bit cartoony for my liking)

Are there any BTCC/DTM games?

Now I know nothing about the NFS series, so I'd appreciate any opinions on those, there seems to be so many variants of the game (dub city, underground, hot pursuit).

Finally GT Legends / GP Legends. IIRC GP Legends is the older game and GT Legends recently released? I dont think either made it to the consoles but I am considering one of these two for the PC. Are they 'hard work' with just a joypad? I dont have a PC steering wheel.

Thanks!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: Can you recommend any xbox or ps2 driving games?

Originally Posted by TransAm
Ford Racing
Sucks Donkey Male Sexual Organ - same as Mercedes World Racing and Ford vs Chevy... very arcady. - so bad I cn't be re orovre to ven try For Racing 2

Corvette 50th Anniversary
Only for die-hard Vette fans - pretty much Sucks Camel Scrotum

Pro Race Driver (codemasters)
Pretty much TOCA Race Car Driver - a bit of funl

Sega GT 2002
I enjoyed this a bit - control is not as great as GT3 but was fun enough to convince me to buy SegaGT Online - which you can import your T2002 game into and get a head start in online racin.. OK - but keep in mind the age of the game.

Think GT2 + PGR2 sort of effect.

Ridge Racer (I have played this on PS1 a lot but found it too arcadey)
Rented it and was as dissapointed as I was expecting to be - Ridge Racer is only good in a game arcade in a full size driving sim

Test Drive (with a pic of a charger doing a jump on the front)
Sucked really bad... the Test Drive franchise went downhill after TD2 for the PC in 1990

Auto Modellista (looks a bit cartoony for my liking)
Not too bad, was fun - the "cell shade graphics is different - but for what it's worth I rented but did not buy this one.

Are there any BTCC/DTM games?
TOCA for the PC comes to mind... there were a couple version of it. One with Swedish Touring Cars and the BTCC version.

Now I know nothing about the NFS series, so I'd appreciate any opinions on those, there seems to be so many variants of the game (dub city, underground, hot pursuit).
Need For Speed 1, 2, 3 and 4 were good - NFS Posche Unleashed was the greatest of all - everything after that is far too arcadey and "ricer/drifter" to be taken seriously.... Hot Pursuit on the XBox is good for family BarBQ day - but we got pretty tired of the game very quickly.

Finally GT Legends / GP Legends. IIRC GP Legends is the older game and GT Legends recently released? I dont think either made it to the consoles but I am considering one of these two for the PC. Are they 'hard work' with just a joypad? I dont have a PC steering wheel.
Grand Prix Legends is in a class of it's own and is probably still the definitive no-hold-barred driving sim on the PC. There is still a lot of support and stron user community out there - 8 years later

GT Legends is not related to the old game at all - it is a newer edition of a game by a Mod Group that made a very nice GT mod of the F!GP or something about 3 years ago - their first commercial release was GTR and GTL is the next.

Great franchise - very realistic, but their copy protection sucks - strong community around all the modern sims and mods based on them.

http://www.rscnet.org/mambo/
^^^ Race Sim Central is one of the better resources for modern PC driving sims.

And ask alex.. he is a sim-encyclopedia..

Thanks!
Youare welcome
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
TransAm
Regular User

Cheers RC

Pro Race Driver seems promising, might pick that up. A lot of these games are down at my local Gamestop for $10 or less.

Sega GT2002 was in a double pack with Jet Set Radio Future for... $2.99!

They had Ford Racing 4 for $12.99, what attracted me to it was Capris! (oh dear) Some late 80s ones on the back cover, 2.8i I suspect. Graphics looked ok, maybe there is a Cortina in there too.

Now I have the Logitech drivers I will try LFS and GTL, GPL I remember playing the demo of GPL all those years ago, some 50s open wheel sportscar on my P133...with the keyboard. Not easy. I soon went back to the Diablo (another great game) demo which was on the same cover CD!! (reminisces )

Test Drive yes I agree, I had TD1 C64 and later TD2 on the Amiga. I remember TD2 being limited to F40 and 959, it was called 'the duel' IIRC.

Shame PCs werent any good at the time, or I'd probably play 2 these now.

Might take a look out for the earlier NFS games as well. 8)

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote