Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 09-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #31
undien717
Regular User

Great compact car-

If the hissing sound you're hearing is heard while your on the throttle, it's probably the turbine spooling. If it's during throttle lift, it might be air being leaked through a wastgate or something.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #32
gucom
Regular User

ur right about its looks, with hte first pics i thought that it didnt look good at all, but it looks erm...purposeful i htink is the correct word? if you see it on the road, it has a nice presence and looks sporty enough. its 1 of my favourite BMW's although that doesnt say much
Old 11-28-2005, 10:24 PM   #33
Sir_GT
Regular User

I'm surprised this thread was brought back from the dead.

Updates? Ummm... Somebody completely knocked off my wing mirror, and I know it wasn't a car because the car was parked, and it was on the side facing the pavement. I'm assuming it's some blind idiot environmentalist on a bicycle. £250 to get it repaired. Bastard didn't even leave a note.

Any complaints about the car? Mmmm... let's just say I'm not too sure I'm still interested in that '07 M3. There are far too many similarities between the E90 and the 1-series (aside from the fact that they apparently share the same chassis),and to be perfectly honest, those similarities are things I wish I didn't need to live with.

I still love the car, don't get me wrong, but one of the reasons I warmed to it was because I was expecting a naughty rear-wheel drive car. Typically, Torque + RWD = great fun... but with the 1-series... the chassis actually swallows the power so well, it does get a bit dull. Maybe I need more power, but that's not the point.

I guess the only way to explain it is to compare it with a Mini Cooper S Works. The Works car is a bag of on-the-edge hooliganism. It's wicked fun. The 1-series is so pin point, so precise, it feels like a perfect weapon... it will do what you ask of it, no sweat...

...which in a way, makes it a bit dull (IMO). There's no drama, no learning curve. No "getting to know you" sensation. I really fancy the Z4 Coupe over the upcoming M3 now... but if both of those cars don't provide me with any "drama" (the good kind), I might just look elsewhere...

...and that B7 RS4 is really tempting.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:27 PM   #34
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
I read somewhere that the 1-Series, far from offer oversteer... it was quite understeer in fact - which is quite dissapointing considering it's a bimmer I guess that even the Golf GTI offer more fun that this
Hmmm... IMO, understeer would be more so if the engine was any weaker than the one I've got. I think because of the diesel's torque, it's really quite neutral. WHICH, I hasten to add, I find quite dull.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Golf GTi was more fun in a Works Cooper sense, but I still wouldn't trade any bimmer for a VW simply because VW's UK dealership ("*ahem* service please anyone?") network is rubbish.
Sir_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #35
Sir_GT
Regular User

Yep. Just like the title says. My partner's been trying to build up a business, and this was the only way to get capital without borrowing money and having to pay for interest rates.

So... it'll be Fiat Grande Punto then. 1.4 Dynamique. She hasn't decided if she prefers red or black, but I fancy the black one just so we can have the orange interior.

I'll create another thread when the Fiat arrives.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #36
No.1
Regular User

Obviously a step down in the car world, but hopefully a huge step up in the business world

I wish you every success, and surely the sacrifice is worth it in the long run (who knows what you will be able to afford in 12 months time?)

The Grande Punto is a nice car in its own right - better built than Fiats of yore, and a Maserati mimicing front end - it would look great with it's nose just poking out of your garage 8)
Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #37
RC45
Regular User

"Partner".. :shock: Business partner... or same-sex life partner... :shock:

Not that there's anything wrong with that life choice, but it's just noce to know whom one can bend down in front of to pick up the soap... ops:
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #38
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

Not that there's anything wrong with that life choice, but it's just noce to know whom one can bend down in front of to pick up the soap... ops:
I think this has to be the dumbest post you've made

But, for the sake of clarity, methinks Sir-GT has a wife
Old 03-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #39
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Im pretty sure he talked about banging Filipino whoores in the other thread
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #40
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

Im pretty sure he talked about banging Filipino whoores in the other thread
Well you never know - spmetimes people con-cocked elaborate stories around their lives online... and a homo playing a straight post-whore on a car website is not that far fethced

Originally Posted by thenumber1

Jesus - who pissed in your breakfast porridge... ?

It was a joke,,, with an indirect reference to the Seinfeld "Not that there's anything wrong with that" episode...

Unless you are a closet arse-rammer that was offended by my post... not that there's anything wrong with being an arse-rammer mind you.. :roll:
Old 03-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #41
No.1
Regular User

Jesus - who pissed in your breakfast porridge... ?

It was a joke,,, with an indirect reference to the Seinfeld "Not that there's anything wrong with that" episode...

Unless you are a closet arse-rammer that was offended by my post... nit that there's anything wrong with being an arse-rammer mond you.. :roll:
:bah:

I didn't see the joke, but i thought Sir-GT would have been a bit offended at that....

Mind you, the aristocracy are a load of old bummers so perhaps.... i'll leave it here
Old 03-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #42
RC45
Regular User

:bah:

I didn't see the joke, but i thought Sir-GT would have been a bit offended at that....

Mind you, the aristocracy are a load of old bummers so perhaps.... i'll leave it here
Well, if he had been offended then that would be a shame hey..

I think the problem is people are far too uptight, so when you see an out of place post like that, insetad of chuckling and being amused, they are quick to get offended and pissed.. on other peoples behakf

Anywhoooo... back to the topic, selling a car to do something worth while with the money is a noble gesture in and of itself hay.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #43
TransAm
Regular User

Whoa there chaps!

<Harry Enfield Scouser mode>

Eh eh eh, calm down, calm down

</Harry Enfield Scouser mode>

There are more important things to worry about in life, such as whether or not the word Scouser is a proper noun and deserves a capital 'S'. :fadein:

Anyways, no doubt Sir GT will think of a suitable retort if needs be...

Good luck with your business venture, Sir GT, I hope it works out for you both. Any hint for us as to what line of business you are going into?

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #44
Sir_GT
Regular User

It's hard to be offended by homosexual jokes when you know you're straight...

It's sort of like an ugly woman screaming "you dyke!" to Anna Kournikova... You know you know better...

Besides, I just remembered that they don't say "my partner" in America unless you're gay. So I can see why RC45 made that remark.

Anyhoo, back to topic... my wife wants to go into fashion... wants to do an online store for bags, jewelleries, and the like. So she'll need the capital to set everything up, purchase stocks, deal with advertising, etc. and borrowing £10k from the banks in the UK nowadays will seriously set you back quite a bit, especially with their new and improved rip-off rates.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:00 PM   #45
RC45
Regular User

Best of luck - to you, your wife and your partner (in business.. ) hehe.

Sounds like a well thought out plan - you guys should do well.