Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 09-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #31
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Originally Posted by twboy1999
but f1 is not a great handling car... i am not suprise if it out handles by f40 or f50 in the handling department.. but seems like u dont think so

most of the article i have read about f1,, they said it had body role.. and handling was one of it weaker point

enzo vs regular f1 on the track.. enzo would win for sure
I said it would out handle an F50 and F40...I may not beat the Enzo but I dont think it would be killed by the Enzo...To say the Mclaren F1 was not a great handling car is absurd....The one we got in the states was not the "real" Mclaren F1....It had less power was heavier etc...Unfortunately, thats the one they did mosts of the tests on....The Ameritech legal version only trapped the 1/4 in 11.9 @ 125mph and pulled .87g.....The Euro F1 was the real deal....That one will beat any car out there now....Not to mention the F1 LM in my signature which would obliterate them all...In fact the only "production" streetcar in memory that could give the LM a run or maybe beat it is the Dauer Porsche....Those were incredible cars..
Old 09-10-2004, 08:17 PM   #32
JoeHahn
Regular User

The Dauer 962 completes 0-124mph in 7.7 secs and has active ground effects downforce. It could also hit 251mph. I think that would severely lay waste to the "GOAT"
Old 09-11-2004, 01:19 AM   #33
HoboPie
Regular User

The Dauer was a race that happened to fit street legal specifications. Even though it does fit road legal standards in some places even the major mags that actually tested don't really discuss it.

On top of that the Mclaren doesn't outhandle the F50 and probably not the F40. There was actually an article done by French Sport Auto where they tested the F50, F40 and Mclaren at Suzuka.

The Enzo most certainly beats it around a track. The Mclaren is an easier car to drive, but the Enzo is nearly as quick in a track situation, handles better and brakes insanely better.

Mclaren F1 Enzo
0-60 3.2 3.3
0-100 6.3 6.6
0-125 9.4 9.4
0-150 12.8 13.1
1/4 11.0 11.0

Jeremy Clarkson way back when talked about the F50 handling better than the Mclaren, but it was too scary. In a comparison in the top gear mag Tiff Needel(ex F1 driver) said that the Mclaren F1 was probably more fun because of the body roll, but he would post a faster time on a track with the F50.

The Enzo is almost 5 seconds quicker at Fiorano over the F50 and that is all on very short course that doesn't reward the Enzo's huge power advantage over the Mclaren.

In the big supercar video Martin Brundle(also an ex F1 driver) picked the Mclaren F1 over the Enzo for several reasons including finish, but said the Enzo was definitely the track star of the bunch of cars being tested.

Here is a little hint as to why the Enzo is quicker.

The Mclaren F1 (LM) does the 0-100-0 in 11.5 seconds. That is pretty impressive ahead of cars like the Pagani Zonda which did it in 11.7

However, the Enzo did that same test in 10.8 seconds which is a huge huge advantage. The Enzo also didn't post quite as good acceleration times in that test as it is capable of. That was against the track oriented LM. The Enzo will crush a standard F1 on a track.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:07 AM   #34
SnakeBitten
Regular User

HoboPie you beat me to it regarding the Dauer Porsche...Racecar turned streetcar[962] vs Streetcar turned racecar[F1].......

On the Mclaren F1 vs Enzo note I agree the Enzo will beat a standard F1 on a cuircuit track set up with many turns..Enzo has tire, brake, and horsepower advantage over the F1. If you run them as is, the Enzo will win....Buuuut, add current tires, brakes to the LM and its bye bye Enzo..The LM would obliterate the Enzo in a straight line...The LM made 680hp and weights around 600lbs less and I vaguely remember it doing 0-124 in just over 8secs.....Enzo cant touch that...You guys forget that the LM made so much downforce that it would stick to the roof at 120mph...With that kinda stick and current tires nothing out now would beat it....

The reason I dubbed the LM the GOAT is because its the greatest streetcar ever made imho...The Dauer Porsche was a racer turned streeter so while it would obliterate an F1 its not really in the same catagory....
Old 09-11-2004, 08:38 AM   #35
Regie
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
The great Dario[Ferrari test driver extrodinaire] tested the Enzo vs the Mclaren and said the Enzo just cant quite beat the Mclaren...Do a search and you will find it on the web...
I can't seem to find a scan of the Autocar article on the WWW. If anyone has the scan or can point me to a link it would be most appreciated.(Autocar 24.04.03)
Regie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #36
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Think about htis: the CGT has almost 150 hp more, ALOT more downforce, and much more sophisticated technology.

Think about this: The CGT weighs ~3000 lbs. while the F40 weighs ~2400 lbs. and they both have similar torque. Don't underestimate the F40...or the F50 for that matter. Tiff said that in his hands an F50 wold be faster on a track than a Macca F1.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote