Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #46
Jabba
Regular User

I think the main point is the members who currently have access to everything and wish it to remain that way and receive future benefits want to know what they can do to help out...and we are trying to work out a fair way to do just that.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #47
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
In the long run I am not sure that voluntary donations is a viable idea. There may be an influx of money initially for those who support the site, but sure even those of us who have the best intentions would 'forget' to continue donating. Even if I am wrong, there would be no way to gauge how much money is going to come in. Obviously the worst case (although unlikely) would be that no money comes in for a period of time meaning that Jabba would have to cover the costs.

The soultion? I have no answers, maye a two tier system. I don't mean this to segrigate the 'population' in any way, but we could have the voulntary donation avaliable to every member. Upon donation some form of reward/perk should follow. This would allow those who do not want to be tied in (however losely) to an annual subscription. I am very selective with my subscriptions, which means that if I was any less dedicated to this site I would think twice about signing up. I am fairly sure this would apply to a fair few of JW's members.

So the second tier would be a full blown subscription. I would comfortably pay £20-30 a year. Again some form of perk would be nice. Although I am pretty happy with what I have got thus far 0X
Here here

Happy to donate/subscribe on a yearly basis.

Based on the current number of regular users and the yearly cost delta over and above what you are paying now, Jabba, do you have any rough idea what the yearly subscription would need to be?

Edit: If you want, I am happy to do some costing exercises for JW

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
Old 10-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #48
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123
Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
I would gladly donate if I had access to the said download features.
you see thats what i'm not comfortble with, if people donate it should be because they enjoy the site and its wealth of features/ community, not to download some vids, not to mention the potential legal minefield. I know some will think just because they donate they have some god given right to everything, though i'm sure they'll be told to take a long run of a very short pier or something less pleasant Really I don't want this to become another RF, its pathetic there, just take a look round its dead.
Oh please. I've had access to those features before you were around JW. :roll: But, on the other hand you do have a point. Giving access to those videos for money would be a legal nightmare and would destroy the fabric of JW. However, I don't see many (if any) people paying only for access to the forums. It doesn't take a hugely powerful server just to keep forums running. Most of the load is due to downloads.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #49
Ghostbat
Regular User

I'd be happy to pay an annual fee. Almost feel like I'm getting away with steeling, having all this stuff here for free.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:15 PM   #50
Jabba
Regular User

It doesn't take a hugely powerful server just to keep forums running. Most of the load is due to downloads.
Can we just not start another argument here please. You will just have to take my word for it that Dan does so much stuff in the background I would have to say that calling anything "forums" is a complete insult and you are just asking for trouble.

I used to run "forums" and there is a big difference between then and now, like about 60 % more than just "forums" and that is without the downloads.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #51
Anonymous

Originally Posted by AL123
I would gladly donate if I had access to the said download features.
you see thats what i'm not comfortble with, if people donate it should be because they enjoy the site and its wealth of features/ community, not to download some vids, not to mention the potential legal minefield. I know some will think just because they donate they have some god given right to everything, though i'm sure they'll be told to take a long run of a very short pier or something less pleasant Really I don't want this to become another RF, its pathetic there, just take a look round its dead.
Oh please. I've had access to those features before you were around JW. :roll: But, on the other hand you do have a point. Giving access to those videos for money would be a legal nightmare and would destroy the fabric of JW. However, I don't see many (if any) people paying only for access to the forums. It doesn't take a hugely powerful server just to keep forums running. Most of the load is due to downloads.
well ask dan what happens in a large forum, not a little club that has one masturbating storyteller talking to himself wondering where everyone is?? JW does slow down when alot of people are requesting pages, pics in the gallery etc, also grinds to a halt when backing up from one HD to another

Old 10-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #52
jon_s
Regular User

I think the babes section is at fault

Do we have a rough idea of how much the transfer to a new server would cost? Or would that info best be kept quiet for now.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #53
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
I think the babes section is at fault

Do we have a rough idea of how much the transfer to a new server would cost? Or would that info best be kept quiet for now.
There is so much more to it than that...its hard to put a price on it....I am sure we all know what basic computers are like...something that should take 5 minutes can take 5 hours...also a point that allan has made about encoding videos....if things go according to plan then "x" should happen and will take "y" minutes to finish...sadly...very rarely do things work out quite as you plan them...and everything always takes longer and is harder to do than you first think it will be.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #54
Minacious
Regular User

Situations like this will always be a touchy subject because there are so many variables involved it is impossible to make everyone happy.

There is so much content going back and forth and a ton of background stuff going on that many can’t even begin fathom. Something along these lines was bound to happen. I know many may not agree with me, but I think there should be a subscription fee. With all the readily available content, why not pay a little for it, especially if you consider yourself part of this family. We would be helping each other out in the long run.

Whatever is ultimately decided upon, I am all for.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #55
Jabba
Regular User

I think its best we stick to the birthday/xmas presents idea but this time lets buy something for the site. A better server is something we can all benefit from.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #56
blinkmeat
Regular User

And the economics penetrates the best of all things - again

First off thank you Jabba and Dan for creating and keeping this place what it is. Everyone loves it and that's just that

I do have a suggestion for you though: Why not register JW as a business? It provides a service to it's members - then just write-off the costs...?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #57
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
And the economics penetrates the best of all things - again

I do have a suggestion for you though: Why not register JW as a business? It provides a service to it's members - then just write-off the costs...?
Surely that would be just registering a bootlegging operation as a business. WTF are you thinking?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #58
racer_f50
Regular User

I'd be more than happy to donate or subscribe as well.

Can't say that I've actually noticed any slowdowns (this place is always lightning quick compared to RSC), so great work Dan in keeping it running.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #59
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
Not a wise idea with much of the content that goes through these pipes.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #60
ARMAN
Regular User

Subscription I think should be for dl membs only cause it would turn off 90% the rest of people.
I personally never get in the site that want a payment from me without me knowing if it worth it at all.

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
Closed Thread