Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 03-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
eraser
Regular User

Default 997 GT3 Wrecked w/pics.....with an interesting ending.

I went to my first track day yesterday at Carolina Motorsports park about an hour south of Charlotte in South Carolina. Lots of great cars there, but notably a brand new 997 GT3 delivered to a banking exec from Charlotte last Friday. Let's just say the before and after pics below will tell the story. He basically slid it into a tire barrier! I got a chance to talk to him and is a really great guy and was an even better sport the mishap.

The best part is that after some examining and a little patchwork (ripping off what was left of the front splitter) it was fired up and back on the track after lunch. He was even nice enough to let a couple of guys take it out for a few laps, including my friend I attended the event with.

It was a great day all around, thanks to everyone from Hendrick Porsche and all of the other friendly folks who attended. I've included a few more pics from the day.

eraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
TopGearNL
Regular User

^^ Ouch, those wrecked porsches

Nice pics, I really like that 997 GT3 and the 996 GT3 with the red rims
Old 03-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
silentm
Regular User

luckily enough that doesn't look too wrecked. nice trackday

so you got to drive the GT3?
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
eraser
Regular User

I did not get to drive but my friend that I went with did. Naturally now he wants one.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
eraser
Regular User

The owner is actually planning to have a widebody conversion added with lots of other crazy mods that he can surely afford. He basically said those body panels were coming off anyway!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
blue8
Regular User

I didn't know you could have the GT3 rear spoiler changed... it doesn't look good though

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
eraser
Regular User

He had that wing special ordered, I overheard it was like $9000 or something crazy. Evidently it is the GT3 Cup wing. I didn't think it looked that good either, but seeing it on the track in motion changed my opinion.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
eraser
Regular User

Here is a shot of the actual GT3 Cup car that was brought to the track day event. It has essentially the same wing. Looks more fitting on this car but I did like it on the 997 GT3 once it got out on the track and I saw it in action.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
silentm
Regular User

looks like he will also be needing new rims and new rearlights.

i kinda like that big massive wing
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
ViperASR
Regular User

Sucks the owner wrecked it, but at least he was learning the limits of the car in a safe place where he wouldnt hurt anyone else. At least he had a good attitude about wrecking his brand new GT3 by taking it back out onto the track.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote